navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » I'm getting confused
Teen Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic I'm getting confused Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ShadyMakaveli
since 2002-08-21
Posts 128

0 posted 2002-09-02 06:55 PM

I'm new to this whole poem writing thing as some of u may have read, i've been writing them for less than a month and i'm at about 40 poems, umm, i show them to certain people i am close with and get feedback, and i've started to post here to get outside feedback. I started posting here to get an unbias opinion as i'm sure some of my friends won't tell me what they really think. But when i showed this to someone who wasn't close to me, they asked, me a question "Why would anyone want to read ur poems?" Now that kind of sounds harsh i know, but i can't stop thinking about it, what makes poetry a form of art that is to be shared? I started writing it to express myself, and the same person who asked me that harsh question told me my poem was scary and negative, why should i want people to see that side of me, it's not something i want to stop doing, i love writing it helps me to grasp what i'm feeling, but aside from me who really cares? this is the poem i showed that person incase ur wondering:

My life always stays the same
Always a loss, never a gain
Inside I'm being eaten alive
As i struggle to survive
To my surroundings, i wish i was blind
Instead i'm left with an uneasy mind
unable to let my mind rest
I'm my biggest enemy, i must confess
Learning to change, to start a new
To face reality, that's harsh but true
I need some time and space
To fix what's wrong beyond this face

I don't know what i expect from u readers, and fellow poets, but i am close to wondering if i should continue writing, please just give any feedback u can.

© Copyright 2002 ShadyMakaveli - All Rights Reserved
Child of the Stars
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-07
Posts 1658
Ann Arbor, MI
1 posted 2002-09-02 07:03 PM

Whoa whoa whoa!
Whoever told you that was a jerk and deserves to be slapped with skinned fish that still has eyeballs (that is..if they meant what they said as an insult..not as a question you should ask yourself). Writing is as you said it should be...a way to express yourself, to "grasp what you're feeling," to show people that side they see isn't the only one you have. I believe -very- firmly that poetry is a personal thing, that you should write for yourself first and others second...now 'good' poetry is a bit of a different story, 'cause, I mean, if you're going to think you're good you had better be. But if you're writing for the right reasons, as you are, stopping would be -wrong-!! You'd be robbing yourself of some self-discovery, I assure you...so don't stop...even if you don't show anybody, even if the poetry's bad or depressing or whatever, you shouldn't stop. Unless you hate it. If you hate it then stop.  
  ~Carly

"My own eyes are not enough for me; I will see through a thousand and yet remain myself..."
  ~C.S. Lewis

[This message has been edited by Child of the Stars (09-02-2002 07:04 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » I'm getting confused

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary