navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » A Mirage of Strength
Teen Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Mirage of Strength Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...

0 posted 2002-05-31 06:34 PM

Is your strength
a door to weakness?
Does one weakness
hide the many others?
Under microscope
what would be found?
You've resolved to find out;
weakness has been made strong in you.
Never again, you pray.
The journey begins,
not just of self-awareness,
but of crumbling your shell,
and watering the
vegetation of your soul.
I'm along for the ride,
because, hell,
everyday more questions are born.
One moment now gone:
cherish the next!
I love you,
shell or no shell,
for we never
stop
moving.

© Copyright 2002 Daniel Redding - All Rights Reserved
Xaphan
since 2002-05-29
Posts 22

1 posted 2002-06-01 10:59 AM

I like this one a lot. It really evokes a passionate response in me, especially

'The journey begins,
not just of self-awareness,
but of crumbling your shell,
and watering the
vegetation of your soul'

I have been struggling lately with that issue -- self-awareness. My whole life I've concentrated on pleasing the people around me, but never took the time to satiate my own needs and desires.

I also like

'Is your strength
a door to weakness?
Does one weakness
hide the many others?
Under microscope
what would be found?'

That is so philosophically deep, and those are questions definately, DEFINATELY worth asking oneself. I came from an abusive household, my dad beat my mother and I really badly when I was little, and when I got into my teenage years (about 14 or so), I used to start hitting him, and I used to be extremely hateful. I spit in his face, wished him dead (and I actually MEANT it at the time), and everything else. I used to think that made me strong, but it didn't. For all the times I socked him and spit in his face, I still cried at night when I thought about the past, and what I had been forced to endure.

Not to make you read a novel here LOL, all in all I really like it. I don't know about anyone else, but this one made me think. Good job!

xShUgArHiGhx
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-09-26
Posts 3150
tRyIn tO fIt iN2 mY oWn ShoEs
2 posted 2002-06-01 04:10 PM

I liked this a lot hun...ur poems always make me think, this one included. Well done as always!! Great job

Sometimes I get so weird
I even freak myself out
I laugh myself to sleep
It's my lullaby

aVriL lAvIgNe

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
3 posted 2002-06-01 08:23 PM

Dudeness, I'm not in the deep-thinking mood right now, but I think this one is great as usual. I uh, I'll email you, alright?

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words

Dark Enchantress
since 1999-07-27
Posts 1258
meet Morgana
4 posted 2002-06-03 02:48 PM

Only shadows. Only shadows. However, in order for there to be shadows, light must exist somewhere.

Cheer up. It could be worse. You could be a lima bean. And I could be eating you.

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 posted 2002-06-06 12:43 PM

Well done. I felt the poem. It made me do a little dance of joy with how much I felt it. Well written.

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

Somewhere out there a cow is laughing at you

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
6 posted 2002-06-06 06:31 PM

Well, thank you everyone.

~Titus

Every second that passes you are one second older. You'll never get that second back.

chasing rain
since 2001-05-15
Posts 737
Canada
7 posted 2002-06-07 11:13 PM

Good job Titus. Very thought provoking. Wow. ^^ Keep it up, kay?

-Leah

RosePetal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-08-26
Posts 2985
South Florida
8 posted 2002-06-08 03:06 AM

hey titus,

You know I love this poem. It reminds me of something that Will said to me the other night. He said that I am always acting so hard but deep down he knows I have a soft side and that i just dont let anyone see it.
Ofcourse I denied it but I realize that he may have a small point. Good expression as always my friend.

<3 RP

lone_poet707
since 2001-11-17
Posts 70
black hole named Aylmer
9 posted 2002-06-08 07:36 PM

This is great! You force each and every reader to take the questions youve asked here and apply them to their own lives. It takes a truly gifted poet to evoke such deep thought and emotions.

- Joe

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » A Mirage of Strength

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary