navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » We Know What Love Is
Teen Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic We Know What Love Is Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
CowgirlFreedom17
since 2002-05-20
Posts 82
Mississippi

0 posted 2002-05-26 11:50 PM

To all those people who second-guess teen love.

They say we're only teenagers and we don't know what we're talking about.
They say that when we're this age, love is just a game.
They say that we can't handle it and we think all love's the same.
Well, have I got news for you~
We feel more than you think.
We CAN fall in love, and we KNOW are hearts can sink.
It's NOT a game to us. It's actually very important, and we know that our feelings can get all distorted.
We know how to deal with the hurt, it just may take us longer..and we DO know how to love, maybe even stronger.
You think all teenage love has to be the same and that all teenage love is lust--you outta be ashamed!
Just give us a break, we may not be the best at love, but neither are you.
We may not handle all love right, but that's because it's new.
So next time when your thinking teenagers dont know what love is...think again because we know that love is more than hugs and kisses.

Don't hold back the words you really mean.

© Copyright 2002 Melissa Calvert - All Rights Reserved
Magicmystery
since 2002-02-13
Posts 821
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
1 posted 2002-05-27 01:03 AM

I noticed that this thread was locked in the main open forum #20.  I am glad that I see that it has been moved to a new home in the teen poetry.... I do understand you. At age 36, I can remember being a teenager very clearly.  It was not an easy or happy time for me and adults do not seem to treat you as a one growing quickly out infancy into being a young lady. You hurt the same, you have the same feelings as adults, and I do believe at times, adults don't recognize how real these feelings are.  And because you are going through such pronounced and radical physiological changes, the feelings you have are that much more intensified... and yes, we adults do make our share of booboos too. Nothing is worse than having your very real feelings invalidated by some dispassionate adult.  

Love by in most part is Not a feeling.  It is a total committment to someone or something.  It does not change other than to deepen with the passage of time and time is the true acid test for love. I agree not all teenagers "lust" and adults have to recognize this.... but at the same time, we have your best interests at the heart of things when we warn you away from doing that which we definately know you will regret later.
I am glad we have web sites like this now... 20 years ago, I penned much the same things into a little binder that I still have today. I am a little wiser today but I definately understand.  Maybe this poem will help and I hope it remains as a locked post in the #20 so more "adults" will find and read it.

Love, Light and Peace

Sherry

Cherish the good memories past and look forward to the adventure called Tomorrow.
But above all... be kind to yourself today.

[This message has been edited by Magicmystery (05-27-2002 01:06 AM).]

xShUgArHiGhx
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-09-26
Posts 3150
tRyIn tO fIt iN2 mY oWn ShoEs
2 posted 2002-05-27 05:58 PM

I completely agree!! Although i myself have never encountered anyone who thought my love was foolish at this age i know people who have had their love tested. This was a good poem..thanks for sharing! And very very true...

iTs bEeN 1 Of ThOsE dAyZ 4 2 MaNY dAyZ nOw..I jUst NeEd a DaY whErE tHe WOrLd cAn tAkE cArE of ItsElf..

Hallucination
since 2001-03-18
Posts 419

3 posted 2002-05-29 02:18 AM

I can't do anything but agree...VERY NICE PIECE.

Best Wishes,

Brian.

Dark Enchantress
since 1999-07-27
Posts 1258
meet Morgana
4 posted 2002-05-29 03:58 AM

I think that we know what love is and are completely capable of feeling it to it's fullest degree; however, I don't think we know how to handle for lack of experience in true, outside family relationships. It's not just teens, a lot of adults don't know what they're doing either. Nice poem. It can be very annoying when people don't take you seriously. I'm sure your voice matches the voice of many teens.

Cheer up. It could be worse. You could be a lima bean. And I could be eating you.

Mon Cherie
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-31
Posts 922
Land of Never-ending Summers
5 posted 2002-05-29 11:47 AM

Well, teenage is behind me for a couple of years now. But yes, I do agree with you. Teenagers love, and hate, too. Younger hearts doesn't necessarily mean fickle hearts. In fact, I think a teenager lost in love experiences more heartbreak and disappointment.

_,,,^.^,,,_
Florence

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
6 posted 2002-06-06 06:00 PM

I'll have to agree with you, but I'll also have to say that a lot of teenagers truly don't know what love is. I liked the poem, and think you have a lot to say. If you'd like to converse in private about such topics, or just random chitchat, I'd be more than delighted to do so.

This message has been brought to you by the letter 'Y'

~*brittt*~
since 2001-05-09
Posts 76
East Haddam, CT
7 posted 2002-06-07 10:23 AM

wow, i was totally waiting for someone to write a poem like that! i totally agree with like-every word of that. it's totally true and i wish that everyone who alwayz tells us we dont know what love is could just see inside our hearts and understand. but i know what you mean and i agree. VERY awesome poem hun!
blakloks
since 2002-06-01
Posts 60

8 posted 2002-06-09 08:34 AM

totally true...cant agree more
Shmurfkins
since 2002-01-29
Posts 5
the state of confusion
9 posted 2002-06-10 10:39 PM

I love this poem, and I like how you tell others exactly how it is. Keep up the great work and I hope to read more by you in the future
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » We Know What Love Is

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary