navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #13 » He Who Would Say She Failed--a different Mother's Day piece
Open Poetry #13
Post A Reply Post New Topic He Who Would Say She Failed--a different Mother's Day piece Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon

0 posted 2001-05-13 08:43 PM

Preface:  Today the pastor held up two biblical mothers as examples of 'more the norm' he seemed to say.  In that they were deceitful, conniving women who taught their sons to do the same.  It was a very disheartening message.  The following is a response/reaction to it.  I've sent him a copy as well.  Perhaps we should pray for him and whatever set him in this vein.  It could have been the youth/s from the Tent Rally held last week-end whom he deemed were high risk kids in a lot of pain.  Pray for them, too.

He Who Would Say She Failed
Virginia Salter

So imperfect are their hands
far from ideal their chosen words
Seas from sound their plans and playings,
though puny vessels, still they try to stand.

Too human are their minds and deeds
how frail, how meek they be,
Yet, given in to duty  willing
are the mothers of you and me.

With fear and trepidation
do they labor their very core,
for tiny child held within
they might not ever suffer more.

Yet endure do they fully
tis ordained what they must do
though a thousand times more a-plenty
still may be asked to suffer through.

Should one bring dishonor to all their giving
when they with heart have tried their best,
would someone blaspheme the way one’s living,
calling out, “She failed the test!”

When from righteous comes heavy blows
to critique her efforts true
and leave her flailing in the throes,
what is a mother left to do?

Where might she turn for help
to gain foundation strong?
A job of honor in mother’s singing,
what will gain her wisdom long?

Upon her knees might she utter pleas
to soothe her anguished heart
Then cede to Him her labored soul
that by His hand He’ll secure sure her part.

©May 13, 2001
© Copyright 2001 Virginia Salter - All Rights Reserved
Mother_Earth
since 2000-11-20
Posts 1370
1/2 year Texas & 1/2 year Michigan
1 posted 2001-05-13 09:34 PM

VAS, No two Mothers are alike and I guess everyone has a right to their own opinion.  My own mother was a better aunt than a mother at times, just ask my cousins.  But she was the only mother I had and no one better say ANYTHING against her.  You pastor may have a reason for his words.  How many others at the service were upset enough to contact him?  Hugs to you,  ME
latin passion
since 2001-04-26
Posts 576

2 posted 2001-05-13 10:44 PM

Are you taking petition list? Love to ditto and thread to Mother_Earth. You said it. LP

For those who believed in me -May  God keep you. There is no fear in love..For perfect love casth out all fear.

Decaflame
since 2001-05-11
Posts 1635

3 posted 2001-05-14 11:18 AM

No one, and I mean no one, should put themselves into the position of judging one's heart, other than God....

it took courage to send this to your pastor, I hope he reads it with an open heart.

Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
4 posted 2001-05-14 11:28 AM

I would wonder how he saw his own mother if he could think in this vein.  We usually judge by what we know.  I see the normal mother as I see my own mother.  A self sacrificing loving person.  Joyce
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #13 » He Who Would Say She Failed--a different Mother's Day piece

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary