navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #13 » Child in the Dumpster
Open Poetry #13
Post A Reply Post New Topic Child in the Dumpster Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea

0 posted 2001-05-01 08:04 PM

Child in the Dumpster

by Michael

I saw the boy
in shoes with holes,
hand-me-down clothes,
digging in a dumpster
for food.  

I stood with lump in my throat,
tears stinging eyes,
just trying to breathe.  

Composing myself
as best I could,
I asked where he lived.  

He told me that his father
had died,
his mother was disabled
and only received
a small check each month.  

He had a younger sister and brother.  
and had promised
his dying father
that he would take care
of the family when he was gone.          

Opening a plastic bag,
he proudly showed me
assorted pieces of food,
grapes,
out of date pastries,
bread.  

Late that night
when all were asleep,
someone put boxes
filled with food
on his family’s doorstep
and still does to this day.  

I cannot tell you who
that someone is and
please don’t assume
the obvious.

Just know
that sometimes
angels
show up
in human form.

Proust-
"Love is space and time measured by the heart"

© Copyright 2001 Michael Auguste - All Rights Reserved
DawnG
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-06-23
Posts 1494
United States
1 posted 2001-05-01 08:09 PM

Auguste,

This is GREAT!! When I was in high school my Dad had quit his job just before the holidays and it was looking to be a bleak holiday for us. Some angel, looked upon my family and registered us for a Salvation Army food basket which also included Christmas presents for my sister and I. To this day I still remember that Angel and wonder who they might have been.

Dawn

inot2B
Member Elite
since 2000-09-18
Posts 2205
Arkansas
2 posted 2001-05-01 08:40 PM

I remember my brother who quit school so he could make money fishing and hunting so his little sister and brother wouldn't miss too many meals.
Thank you for reminding me how lucky I am.

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
3 posted 2001-05-01 10:00 PM

Michael--There are many angels around...but not enough to fill all the hungry bellies in L.A., I'm afraid...This was a heartwarming poem, my friend.

[This message has been edited by Martie (edited 05-01-2001).]

Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
4 posted 2001-05-01 10:26 PM

I was afraid to read this from the title.  I thought even something worse than this had happened.  There are lots of blessed angels around and forgive me if I think some of them post on these pages.  Joyce

[This message has been edited by Joyce Johnson (edited 05-02-2001).]

latin passion
since 2001-04-26
Posts 576

5 posted 2001-05-02 01:44 AM

Like Joyce I was concerned by the title. Thank you for sharing your compassionate poem.LP
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
6 posted 2001-05-02 02:44 AM

They sure do, and if they are real ones, they are silent as was this one giving from the heart. Nicely done Michael.

Please visit me at my new homepage:
http://www.mysteria-poetry.cityslide.com/contents/contents/cfm/451673

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
7 posted 2001-05-02 10:22 AM

Hi Michael--Just came back to read this one more time.  
kaile
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
8 posted 2001-05-02 12:05 PM

Michael,

this was a heartwarming read and it serves to remind us of the less fortunate, even as we rejoice in our blessings

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2001-05-02 12:09 PM

I almost didn't read and then I thought... but it's Auguste...so never will I judge a poem by its title...

my father helped to raise his two little sisters...I always saw him giving, but never taking...

this hits home...

elizabeth anne
since 2001-03-29
Posts 83

10 posted 2001-05-02 05:31 PM

My Friend,

Heartwrenching...good write..

Elizabeth Anne

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
11 posted 2001-05-02 07:39 PM

thank you.....I am speechless, whoever it was their heart is golden.....Peace....hugs to you....

Lauren~

Nothing Beautiful In This World
Is Ever Really Lost
All Things Beloved
Live on In Our Hearts...Forever."

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
12 posted 2001-05-02 09:54 PM

Oh Michael, this gets a five-star cry, this touched me so much, thank you for writing about an important issue, yes, thank God for angels in times like these   Something tells me that you're an angel too, afterall, you had the caring heart to write this gem, into my library this goes!

Take care,
Melissa~

JLR
since 2001-02-04
Posts 1785

13 posted 2001-05-02 10:21 PM

Ditto on everything Helen said.  This brought back an Easter memory for me...thanks!
Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
14 posted 2001-05-03 03:14 AM

Dawn,
The angel's name isn't important.  The he or she was able to help your family out with food and Christmas gifts for you and your sister is all that really matters anyway.  Thank you.

inot2B,
I would have to say that your brother would qualify as an angel in human form.  How unselfish he was to quit school and help feed his little sister and brother.  You must be very proud of him.   He has character.  I do hope that he was able to continue his schooling later.  Thank you.

Martie,
Unfortunately, there will never be enough angels.  Maybe that's what makes them so special in people's lives.  Thanks

Joyce,
I do apologize for the title.  I didn't think until after I'd posted it about some of the ugly stories we've all heard on the news.  By then it was too late to change the title.  I should've called it "Dumpster Diver" or something similar.  I would tend to agree that there probably are many angels that post here at Passions.  However, we'll never truly know that because they prefer to blend in to the crowd.  Thank you for reading.

latin passion,
Yes, sorry again for the title and thank you much for reading.

Mysteria,
Yes, exactly.  They're always silent, as they should be.  Thanks.

faterider,
I think we all need to be reminded from time to time just how blessed our lives truly are.  I know that mine is.  Thank you.

Karilea,
I'm sorry for the lousy title.  I wasn't thinking.  My own dear father was much the same.  So many lessons we can learn from people such as these, their selflessness, true love of family.  Thank you for stopping by and reading.

Elizabeth Anne,
True.  As we all know, life isn't completely pretty.  Thanks

Lauren,
Yes, he has a kind and caring heart.  Hugs to you also.  Thank you

Melissa,
I am honored that you'd include this in  your library.  You're very sweet and I thank you.  

JLR,
I hope that memory is a good one of Easter and I do appreciate you reading this.

Thank you, everyone!
Michael

Proust-

Mother_Earth
since 2000-11-20
Posts 1370
1/2 year Texas & 1/2 year Michigan
15 posted 2001-05-04 11:41 AM

Auguste, we, too, were visited by an Angel one Christmas.  Bags and bags of groceries to bake with so we had all the smells of the holiday plus all the good taste.  I try to remember this as I go along the road of every day living.  But thank you for the reminder.  There are never enough ANGELS.  ME
Auguste
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
16 posted 2001-05-04 03:23 PM

Mother Earth,

Being raised in a family with eight brothers and four sisters, we were also visited by an angel once or twice.  It was something that would forever change my life and the way in which I view the poor of our society.  Thank you.

Proust-

suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
17 posted 2001-05-09 11:39 AM

Thank goodness for angels... and poets who remind us of their existence. *S* Beautiful poem!
Sweeetsuz
since 2000-07-23
Posts 770
Fresno CA.
18 posted 2001-05-09 11:42 AM

Michael; Those children are still out there so keep the angels coming

Blessed be and merrily met with good thoughts and feelings to all

Auguste
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
19 posted 2001-05-09 02:54 PM

suthern and Sweeetsuz,

Thank you both for reading.  Yes, there are so many children in need of hope, food, the necessities of daily life.  If only there were more angels to look after these little ones.  

Michael

Proust-

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #13 » Child in the Dumpster

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary