navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #13 » Poetic Mockery (or Undiagnosed)
Open Poetry #13
Post A Reply Post New Topic Poetic Mockery (or Undiagnosed) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea

0 posted 2001-04-23 03:41 PM

Poetic Mockery

by Michael

Fate's shadows seep into my life
and cast their pall on thought.
These trembling hands shall never write
such poems as they have wrought.

The neuro-blocker's side effects,
a tragic handicap.
My mind's confused, can't concentrate
and energy does sap.

So hard it is to write a poem,
sometimes to even think.
Forgetful have I now become,
Depressed, I try not sink.

I wonder if I should retire,
my thoughts are such a haze,
to never write a poem again,
spend time in other ways.

Four thousand milligrams I take
that turns each day to dream.
Everything is not quite real,
like brain has ripped a seam.

I'm sentenced for the rest of life,
from nightmare, I can't wake.
Dose increases every week
so I have more to take.

They treat the symptoms, not the cause,
it is a mystery.
So dose by dose my mind does go
and I lose what was me.

Fifteen months ago I woke to excruciating pain.  The doctors have still not determined the cause.  To help control the pain I take a neuro-blocker.  It's not a pain pill.  A neuro-blocker slows down impulses from the nerves to the brain, trying to trick the brain into believing that the body is not in pain.   It helps, but the pain persists.  I used to be very active and spent most of my time outdoors hiking, panning for gold, running foot races with my young son.  Though I can still walk a little, sometimes with the aid of a cane, most of my time is now spent in a wheelchair.  The doctors say that I will be in it for the rest of my life.  I don't need your sympathy.  That's not why I posted the poem.  I posted it so that you'd better understand the man behind the poetry.  I  posted it because poetry is a very honest art form and some things just need to be said.  I wish you all my best and please know that dreams are within everyone's reach, including my own.  Bless you all and believe in yourselves.  I believe in you.  

Michael

Proust-
"Love is space and time measured by the heart"

© Copyright 2001 Michael Auguste - All Rights Reserved
Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
1 posted 2001-04-23 03:52 PM

Oh, Michael.  I know you don't want my sympathy, but how about my empathy.  I am healthy for my age, but I can only do so much before my back gives out and makes me rest.  It is so frustrating when one has always been so active.  I am very fortunate though, I don't have to take any medicine.  I am allergic to aspirin so I don't even take that. Medicines sometimes cause as much trouble as they relieve, but science is improving every day and don't give up your poetry.  I am sure you'll always be able to compose poetry.  Love, Joyce
Sami
since 2001-04-08
Posts 49
Ontario, Canada
2 posted 2001-04-23 04:25 PM

sometimes people take their health for granted, not thinking that one day they might end up sick...i do feel for you and only ever wish you the best...my thoughts and prayers will be with you and keep writing because you write the most amazing poetry...
~Sami~

'Sometimes we think it's holding on that makes us strong, but sometimes it's letting go' ~~Sam Ewing

elizabeth anne
since 2001-03-29
Posts 83

3 posted 2001-04-23 06:35 PM

Oh Michael, your health has suffered but your heart has grown...

Elizabeth Anne

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
4 posted 2001-04-23 07:06 PM

we believe in you as well Michael. . .

thank you for sharing. . . and for showing us what we already know. . . that you are indeed a wonderful person and an incredible poet. . .

------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

5 posted 2001-04-23 08:28 PM

As we also believe in you Michael, and thank you for sharing and showing us your heart.  I can have empathy for your circumstances as it was not all that long ago that I also dealt with a loved one having an unexplained illness of this type.  God Bless you Michael.

On the wings of words our spirits fly....and our souls are free.
~Me~

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
6 posted 2001-04-23 08:28 PM

Michael--Your strength is not in your legs,  but in your spirit. Hugs!
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2001-04-24 08:55 AM

Poetry may be a "very honest art" but the person behind the poem must be a very brave soul to put it out to begin with, as poetry reflects our inner selves, probably better than any other art form.

I shall not give you my sympathy, but you do have my prayers that the medical world will find something to help you with your illness.

Meanwhile, as you allow your words to drape Passions, I for one, shall be here to read, and enjoy, your gifts.

Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
8 posted 2001-04-24 02:46 PM

Joyce,
Empathy is fine, as I also have the same for anyone suffering from a bad back.  That can really be a misery at times and prevent a person from doing the things they'd like and need to do.  Before falling ill I'd never had to take any kind of medicine.  To do so now is really a bother, not only with the side effects, but because I'm not used to having to schedule doses of anything.  I wish you well and thank you very much.

Sami,
I was one of those people that took their health for granted.  I guess when you're a physically active person in all around good shape, it's impossible to believe that you could awaken one day to have all of that taken away.  Oh well...  I'll make do with what I've got and continue on.  Even handicapped, each day is such a wonderful gift.  Thank you.

Sven,
I want to thank you, sincerely, for your very kind words.  They mean so much to me.  Since poetry truly is an honest art, just let me say thatin your own I see a kind, compationate person and an excellent writer.  I mean that.

Gentle Spirit,
Thank you for reading this.  May God also bless you.

Martie,
I absolutely agree.  As we've discussed in the past, I am very fortunate in many, many ways.  I honestly believe that.  I'll do just fine.  Thank you, my friend.

Karilea,
You're very sweet, but I really don't consider myself to be brave by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm just not a quitter.  I intend to make my life as full as it possibly can be and I know that I will be successful.  Thank you, my friend.  You are also in my prayers.

Proust-
"Love is space and time measured by the heart"

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #13 » Poetic Mockery (or Undiagnosed)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary