navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #3 » Bars
Dark Poetry #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bars Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sikanda
since 2002-10-08
Posts 54

0 posted 2003-03-27 04:02 PM

"Bars"

Can't get in
Can't get out

Bars on the window
Bars on myself

Don't want to live
Don't want to die

Can't smile
Can't cry

Can't get in
Can't get out

Bars on the window
Bars on myself

Nothing to lose
Nothing to gain

To much hurt
To much pain

Can't get in
Can't get out

Bars on the window
Bars on myself

© Copyright 2003 Sikanda - All Rights Reserved
somethinginyoursocks
since 2003-03-27
Posts 28
IN, the U.S. of A.
1 posted 2003-03-27 06:39 PM

Wow, pretty impressive.  You've used a fairly unique style.  I like the alliteration of the lines and the simplicity of each 'mini' stanza.  You've followed a pattern seen before, but you followed it (which is more than I can say for many others) nonetheless.
My only criticism is that you left it too open for 'interpretation.'  While, yes, poetry is written for that purpose, it becomes an art-form when the poet can control what someone is going to interpret.  Because you haven't given me too much, I really can't offer too many good revision ideas.  But I will say you have potential with this one.
Maybe a good idea is to end the entire poem with a profound saying that encompasses the entire poem...something creepy.  Something along the lines of "we all have bars" er...something like that.  Many writers divide their work into two categories...details, and general idea.  Use that here!  You've built a great base of detail, now say something profound!  Sum up what you're trying to say (but, still in a poetic manner.  Don't add water).

-I don't need a signature-

Flower
since 2003-03-15
Posts 240
California
2 posted 2003-03-28 03:57 PM

I liked this. The presentation of it was great. Said an awful lot in a choice of very few words. I would hope, seriously, that you keep it the way YOU want it to be and not the way others would rewrite it for you.  

Love reading all these great writes.
I write not!

SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
3 posted 2003-03-28 05:10 PM

intriguing little bit of writing this - very nicely done. I 'ditto' Flower also.
silvergriffinfire
since 2003-03-13
Posts 21
middle of nowhere
4 posted 2003-03-28 08:10 PM

Wow I really like this. It's kind of creepy. One thing - the meaning is confusing. Poetry is more open, but even so, there is a sort of guidence to the right interpertation. On this, I can't find much guidence. It could be about self, society, mental or physical worlds, anything. Or is it meant to be that way.
All the same, very neat.

Descendus Averno Facillis Est

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #3 » Bars

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary