navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #3 » The Rainbow Road
Dark Poetry #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Rainbow Road Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dr Gonzo
since 2002-11-21
Posts 26

0 posted 2002-11-22 12:46 PM

I
A fury of colorful lights splash across the walls, rainbows being brushed across brick murals.
Repetitive drum and bass keeping pace with my inner snare drum.
Positive vibrations and free love seep in through the air conditioner vents.
A wave of unity crashes down on the crowd, 50 willing surfers reaching for the crest.
Yet somehow when we all come down, the undertow sweeps us into individual isolated troughs.
This feeling is quickly sidestepped by scoring again with blissful feelings that come in pill form.
Tingling sensations and warmth return as I hug a friend, share a smile, hear DJs spin, contact my inner child…..
II
The pleasures that I once knew, I abandoned and they became an orphaned child.
For now I’ve inherited the biggest problem faced by former rainbow chasers…..boredom.
I didn’t realize it then but now I know that getting high was the reason that I got out of bed in the mornings.
My world revolved around the possible visit of the Candyman bringing me a treat, and like a child, I announced that I was a good little lad that deserved a cookie.
But now that there has been a shift in the rotation, what do I do?
Shall I hold out my hands and pray for rain?
Shall I plug my eyes into the idiot box and have it instill happiness and distract me while sapping out my soul?
Shall I walk a white dog under a blue sky while a golden sun shines upon a grey street where walks a tanned man who wears a red tie that matches the blackness that hides behind his brown eyes?
Shall I drink coffee in new age trendy bars, have conversations with likeable Lisa, clinging to the hope of getting laid?
Shall I discuss politics with the milkmen, sing God Bless America with modern day patriots that despise the government?
Shall I jog with Jack and try to shed some of those not so lovable love handles that are simply not socially acceptable.
Shall I go to church and give my weekly tithes so that maybe God will show me pity and grant me 3 wishes?
III
I shall read a copy of Time magazine and roll one more time.
Then I will finally decide for myself
Which is better,
Chemical happiness with drugs,
Or
Artificial happiness with the not so real world.
Either way, they are both fake.
I still will be empty afterwords with a hole in my soul
Chasing after plastic, treasureless, rainbows.

© Copyright 2002 Dr Gonzo - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2002-11-24 09:43 PM

Hey Doc, why not try a real rainbow? Why not go for a hike and look at wildflowers and bugs and all the other bits of life that co-exist on this planet?
Welcome to Pips, I think this is the first i've rad of your posts. I enjoyed many of your thought rants in this, and can only say one more thing: ditch the plastic, the drugs and the TV tube, and get back out there and ride a new wave.
But then again, this could have been a writing assignment or exercise, and not a home video?

"The pleasures that I once knew, I abandoned and they became an orphaned child.
For now I’ve inherited the biggest problem faced by former rainbow chasers…..boredom."

Welcome, hope to read more of your work soon.

[This message has been edited by Midnitesun (11-24-2002 09:45 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #3 » The Rainbow Road

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary