navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » I walk the Planks ( this goes out you ,POA, I love you man)
Teen Poetry #4
Post A Reply Post New Topic I walk the Planks ( this goes out you ,POA, I love you man) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Angel in Flight
since 2001-01-07
Posts 381

0 posted 2001-02-11 02:23 AM

Today I walk the planks of death,
And the Fire almost devoured my every limb.
My bones were nearly crush upon the stones,
And I thought I’d have to say goodbye to all I know.
And as I reached the bottom,
The light shined brightly upon me.
For yes, I was dyeing, but only internally.
For this is not of suicide, nor death, or fear
within.
This is a poem of knowledge that I wish for all to see.
So I ask this question onto you and please might you tell me..
Is this a poem of suicide?
Or A poem of defying death and living?

Keep searching, we are here, you only have to find us.~ Amanda

[This message has been edited by Angel in Flight (edited 02-11-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Amanda - All Rights Reserved
Poet on Acid
since 2001-01-07
Posts 325
Florida, USA
1 posted 2001-02-11 08:17 AM

Wow, I'm gunna have to say, uhm, wow. Thank you, very rarely do I get to see a poem written about me. Especially one that hits right on target. Again thanks, it was wonderful, as your work always is.

>¶Øʆ<

Angel in Flight
since 2001-01-07
Posts 381

2 posted 2001-02-11 01:42 PM

*smiling I am happy you like it, POA. I tired my very best for you on this one. Love always~Amanda

Miracle
since 2001-01-07
Posts 22

3 posted 2001-02-11 01:47 PM

Amanda, Great job on this!!! I do hope the moderators get to see this and begin to think a little. POA, best of luck to you with this fight!
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

4 posted 2001-02-11 02:02 PM

Well miracle, your wish has come true. Here is a moderator who has seen this thread, but I don't think that it's the moderators that need to start thinking. I don't think you guys have any idea how many people visit these forums every day. Not just members, anyone can come here and read what you post. We have very young members and even younger readers who can come to this "family friendly" website and read whatever you decide to post. You may not intend your poem to be read as suicidal, but people interpet things in many different ways, and it is the hard job of the moderators to determine if what you post would have a negative influence on the people who come to this site, since you obviously don't care. You say that the moderators don't think, huh? You have NO IDEA how much we debate over each deleted, edited, and closed thread. You tend to forget that we are ALL poets, and we don't want to stifle you creativity. All we want to do is protect our readers. So, before you post another poem, maybe YOU ALL should think!

Anyway, this is a well-written poem, angel. Thanks for being honest, and for giving me a chance to say what I think.

"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel."-Machiavelli

Miracle
since 2001-01-07
Posts 22

5 posted 2001-02-11 02:24 PM

Yes, although you must take into consideration that suicide is a Hugh part of life. Almost 100 or more people die a day because of it. I do comprehend how many people visit this sight everyday, and they are a variety of ages. But I can assure you that you can take almost any of these poems posted at passions and they can easily be related to suicide. I just believe if you think something is related to suicide you should ask the person who wrote it. If they say it is not then ask them to say what the poem is about at the end or start of the
poem. This is not a hard problem to fix, and I am sure we do not need to lose some of our
bests poets because of this.

[This message has been edited by Miracle (edited 02-11-2001).]

jeremydraul
since 2000-08-01
Posts 1118
State of Despair
6 posted 2001-02-11 03:04 PM

I totally agree with LoveBug. Think about all the people that come here and how they have to handle these forums. It not an easy job and they all do a superb job at it.

Nice poem and tribute to POA...it was very meaningful and I hope he doesnt leave... nice job!

JR

"I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. -William Faulkner (Noble Prize Speech.)

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

7 posted 2001-02-11 04:01 PM

Merely stating what a poem is about as the author intended it will not stop people who read it from interpreting it their own way.

It is actually a hard problem to fix I am afraid. Because of the staggering amount of members we have here...all with different opinions, attitudes and writing styles.

That is one of the reasons the guidlines are established - to ensure that such a mix of expression can function well.

Good poem.

Severn.

- it was not an
unmusical sound: long, falling, half a sigh,
like wind in the wires, or a train distancing.

The Muse of Distance, A. Williamson

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
8 posted 2001-02-11 04:33 PM

I WANT YOU ALL TO LISTEN

The bottom line is when we agreed to join this forum, we agreed to follow the guidelines.  To make sure we all remember, that's the part wherein we have to click on "agree" or "decline".  Part of that is having moderators closely follow each post we make, and anything that's seen to even come close to breaking the rules would be debated on by moderators.

You should not mistake that a moderator just locks and moves a poem right after a moderator reads the post and determines that it goes against regulations.  That is defenitely not the way it works.  The poem is brought into attention at the mods forum for all other moderators, even the ones from outside the forum, to determine whether it should be "locked and moved" or not.  This is not an easy task.  With regards to thinking, we do too much of it, specially in this forum in the past weeks.  

Please don't even bring up the subject of "freedom of speech".

Yes Miracle, suicide is a huge part of life.  We all know that.  Someone who doesn't realize that must be really blind, or chooses not to accept what goes on arouond his/her surroundings.  There are two things you have to realize though:

1. We cannot have anyone glorify such a wrongful act in these forums PERIOD!!! no questions asked.  We do not want other members to get any bad ideas in these forums.

2. We are Ron's guests in his house, and we must abide by his rules.  We should just consider ourselves lucky enough to have someone like Ron, who has offered us the chance to share and read poetry for free.  Nothing more and nothing less.

I see no changes, wake up in the morning I ask myself, "Is life worth living or should I blast myself" TUPAC SHAKUR

Angel in Flight
since 2001-01-07
Posts 381

9 posted 2001-02-11 05:19 PM

EVERYONE EVERYONE!!!!

When I posted this poem I in no means ment to start a fight within passions. All I was trying to say to everyone is that it is hard to determine what is a suicidal poem and what is not. I believe ,POA, had no means what so ever to post what you may call suicidal poetry. When he wrote it I am sure he didn't mean for people to interperet his poems that way. I also believe he should not be kicked out of passions for is so called "suicidal poetry", and I believe he is trying really hard to make poems that you would not call suicidal. I am very sorry about all of this fighting going on around here, but I do not believe we should lose one of our best poets because of the type of petry he writes. I clearly see he is making a great effort to write within the guidelines and I must hand it to him for that, and you should be proud of him also. Thank you all for my little say in this.

[This message has been edited by Angel in Flight (edited 02-11-2001).]

Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
10 posted 2001-02-11 10:16 PM

Angel In Flight-
I'm sure that you didn't wish to start a fight with your post.  However, there has seem to be a great deal of rule-testing here lately.  I think the moderators that have already replied have explained very well the intent of the moderators, the reasoning for our guidelines, and the fact that this a family friendly and privately owned site.  POA is welcome at our forums, as is everyone else, as long as he posts within and respects our guidelines.  I too would be sad to loose a talented member, in any case, but our rules are very clear and to blatantly disregard them at any time would force a ban upon any member.  I am not attempting to single anyone out, I am just giving a reminder to those of us that may have momentarily forgotten why the guidelines are in place.  There are impressionable people out there, young and old, and we do not wish to see them hurt themselves or others in any way.  Your poem was very well written, Angel, and I'm actually glad it brought up the chance to bring everyone a reminder.  

*Krista Knutson*

I'm a slow dying flower
In a frost-killing hour
The sweet turning sour and untouchable...
-Natalie Merchant

dreamer1 12 5 24
since 2000-12-11
Posts 150
crossing between
11 posted 2001-02-12 12:37 PM

Yeah, suicide is a huge part of life, it happens. Unfortunately, not everyone sees it the same way when it comes to poetry. (ok, get to the point). I know that, for me, whenever suicide is mentioned, I start to cry,( ) because one of my friends committed suicide. I'm quite happy that poems that talk about suicide are deleted. I hate crying, and missing... never mind. I'm crying again.

....peace as a primary objective is dangerous because it implies that we would sacrifice anything for the sake of it....
Robert Kaplan

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
12 posted 2001-02-12 06:36 PM

I'm going to have to agree with the moderators on this one, but I didn't appreciate how lovebug put "YOU ALL" in bold letters as if to imply we do not think. I, personally, have had some of my poems closed. I've, at times, pushed the limits and when I was denied I merely smiled and kept on going. I learned what to post and what NOT to post. So members, seriously here,if suicide poems get DELETED here....it's obvious to not post them......after this we can all live happily ever after.

*hugs everybody*
Awwwwwwww now wasn't that sweet!?!?!

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I'm in love with my shadow
I admire it daily

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

13 posted 2001-02-12 07:29 PM

Dopey, I didn't intend to offend anyone with my post. When I said "you all", I was referring to those people who DON'T think before they post. Thanks for speaking up, everyone.

"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel."-Machiavelli

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
14 posted 2001-02-13 09:37 AM

hey Erica, don't people from West Virginia say "you all" as "ya'll"

So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this give life to thee." W.S.

Poet on Acid
since 2001-01-07
Posts 325
Florida, USA
15 posted 2001-02-13 11:02 AM

I am going to again have to say that was a wonderful poem. As for all this suicidal stuff, most of the time I don't realize it's 'suicidal'. I did not mean for such a controversy to spring from my work. I truthfully have never posted anything i viewed as suicidal. I have poems that even I know are suicidal and I have never posted them here. For anyone that I have offended I am sorry. And yes I am very gratefull I have a place to not only share my poetry for free but also read all the great poetry from many many others. And anyone who has been here a short amount of time knows that this isn't just a place to share poetry, you make friends here and learn new things from those friends, I do not wish to break the guidelines on purpose but as I sad I honestly do not realize certain poems of mine are suicidal. Anyways I just thought you people, moderators included, would like to know that.

>¶Øʆ<

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
16 posted 2001-02-13 12:33 PM

The other night, amidst all this controversy, I wrote a fairly long diatribe about why I had decided to close the Teen Forum. Yea, at the moment I was writing it, I had pretty much decided that Passions no longer needed a forum dedicated to teens. I wrote very briefly about suicide posts, repeating things I've said over and over before (such as here), and I talked about people pushing the limits and taking advantage of the fairness extended by our Moderators. But mostly, I talked about two other things, things which were the real reason I was going to close this forum.

I talked about the apparent lack of support in Teen for what I feel are the guiding philosophies of Passions.

"We seem to have a very vocal group who think the Guidelines are unfair and arbitrary," I wrote. "Since almost no one except Moderators have disagreed with this group, I am forced to believe most of the Teens posting here are of a similar bent. Ergo, people here appear to want something I am not willing to offer."

"If you don't believe in the Guidelines," I continued, "It makes perfect sense you would try to find ways to circumvent their intent. I suspect I would do the same, and history is rife with instances of unpopular laws being broken by the majority of a populace. We see it every day in America. Laws, or in our case, Guidelines, can only work when people believe in them. Obviously, from the reactions I've seen in this forum lately - and the lack of reactions - there aren't many people here who believe taking human life is a tragedy."

I have always assumed that people who join Passions do so not in spite of our philosophies, but because of them. To conclude that a very large segment of our family felt otherwise was more than bit daunting to me. There are plenty of places on the Internet to post sensationalistic poetry that has little to do with reality - and if that's all the Teen forum had become, it no longer served its real purpose. Not for me, at least.

I also discussed the other reason Teen should cease to exist, closing my explanation with a very simple truth. Myself and the Moderators don't come to Passions every day to fight, argue, or censor people who should by now know better. We come here every day because we want to read and write poetry, to share something of ourselves, and perhaps in that sharing learn something important about this humanity we all claim. When some of our most giving people have to come in here every day to close threads, move threads, and spend half their time writing email - well, damn it, something is very, very wrong. That is NOT the purpose of Passions. Our Moderators would be better served, Passions would be better served, by placing them in a forum where they can be appreciated and where they will have the opportunity to do what they do best: Write. Not babysit.

Obviously, I didn't close the Teen forum. It was late at night, I was very tired, and I long ago learned not to make important decisions under those circumstances. After writing my diatribe, I saved it to disk and went to bed. And waited.

Today, I am glad I decided to wait. A few people have since stepped to the plate and evidenced support for our underlying philosophies, a handful among many who apparently come to Passions for the same reasons I and the Moderators come. POA, your words go a long way towards strengthening my hope that the Teen forum is not dead or dying. I honestly don't know what the near future will bring, whether Teen will be closed or, like the Phoenix, rise from the ashes. I will not tolerate a room in my house that needs constant attention, constant cleaning. High maintenance sucks.

But, unlike the other night, I at least have some glimmer of hope.

Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
17 posted 2001-02-13 09:50 PM

Amen to that Ron. We aren't babysitters...we are poets and people who love to share our work and to reply to others...I know that I have very limited time to write or reply to anything anymore because of all the commotion in here and that saddens me. I sincerely hope that things will quiet down, everyone will respect one another and the guidelines, and teen will remain an open and active place to gain friends and share the gift of poetry.

*Krista Knutson*

I'm a slow dying flower
In a frost-killing hour
The sweet turning sour and untouchable...
-Natalie Merchant

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » I walk the Planks ( this goes out you ,POA, I love you man)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary