navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » Sonnet Attempt
Teen Poetry #4
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sonnet Attempt Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Raven Skye
since 2001-03-03
Posts 112
.In a House.

0 posted 2001-06-11 01:08 PM

So I wrote this yesterday because for English my teacher would like us to attempt to write a sonnet. Feedback is appreciated... Here's my attempt:

To my dear rearview mirror what's hanging,
Detached from this world, this car, this heart.
     Just...
Hanging. World weary. Still born and flat black
On that thin, green, wire umbilical chord.
Haunting my early morning ride through town.
It hangs, dangles, swoops about, if not taped down.
But alas, poor looking glass, now somberly
You cling. A celluliod barnacle stuck
So feebly, gingerly, at my side.
It is in my heart to restore you, dear,
To that majestic spot you held so well,
And we may ride in splender together
Passing away those few last days with you,
On roads of black and under skies of blue.

*×´¨`·.×*Raven Skye*×´¨`·.×*
"Can't explain the way that I feel. You are the love I never found." -Cold

© Copyright 2001 Raven Skye - All Rights Reserved
Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 posted 2001-06-11 07:29 PM

This was great! I can't comment on the format cuz I have no idea how to write a Sonnet, but I thought this was very well written. I liked it!

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I'm in love with my shadow
I admire it daily

the_rescue
since 2001-05-23
Posts 316
Japan
2 posted 2001-06-11 07:50 PM

That was a lot better than I could ever do man good write, I don't think I could even do a sonnet  

The Rescue

in the silence of the night I hear angels voices singing your name oh how beautiful is your name as they sing over and over.  (SPOKEN)

Raven Skye
since 2001-03-03
Posts 112
.In a House.
3 posted 2001-06-11 08:32 PM

hehe, I don't even know if the format is right!! Hey but I gave it my best shot!!

*×´¨`·.×*Raven Skye*×´¨`·.×*
"Can't explain the way that I feel. You are the love I never found." -Cold

fozzyozzy
since 2001-03-15
Posts 336
Lessburg Virginia
4 posted 2001-06-11 10:29 PM

One of these days, I'm gonna attempt a Sonnet.  I think you came pretty close.  good job

SeanD.

"This is cactus land!!!"-T.S.Eliot

fearing-laughter
since 2001-04-24
Posts 605
land of cheese (Wisconsin)
5 posted 2001-06-13 03:23 AM

hey! this poem was cool.  can't comment on the sonnet part tho because i have no idea how to write one.  interesting poem, thanks 4 the read. :-)
-fear-

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

6 posted 2001-06-13 03:34 AM

I'm gonna get harsh here, so please forgive me.  I know I'm not perfect either, but...

This was a good poem.  The content was fine.  However:

Sonnets are in iambic pentameter.  This was not.  Iambic is when you have lines that have one unstressed syllable followed by one stressed syllable.  There are five pairs, or feet of unstressed then stressed syllables, hence the name iambic pentameter.  Like this:

"The darken'd fleeting image plagues my mind."

Now iambic pentameter is difficult at first..  Heck, it's often hard for me to do at times now.  But I would try writing your poem so that it has ten syllable lines.

Secondly, a sonnet has a rhyme scheme.  This had very little in the way of rhyming.  I've forgotten all the differente sonnet types as far as rhyming is concerned, but I use the following most of the time:

ABAB CDCD EFEF GG

I think that's similar to the form that Shakespeare used.

Hope this helps.  Try and apply some of those points to it.  If u have time.  Good luck.

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

7 posted 2001-06-13 12:20 PM

This is a beautiful piece. I love the subject matter and content, but please see the above reply for advice on how sonnets are written. I'm starting out with sonnets also, and if you want to contact me for some advice, including info on formats other than Shakespearean, that's fine. Thanks for sharing.

"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel."-Machiavelli

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » Sonnet Attempt

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary