navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » Fat people get no respect!
Teen Poetry #4
Post A Reply Post New Topic Fat people get no respect! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
princess^sarah
since 2001-01-12
Posts 131
melbourne

0 posted 2001-04-20 07:49 PM

oh by the way.. this one ISNT bout me.. i aint fat im like 49kg!

its bout one of my friends whos really fat.. and everyone teases her.
she goes up to a guy she really like and asks him out and he sais " i'd rather date a dead dog you fat ....."

its just not right is it...

Fat people get no respect,
It's even worse than you suspect!
My friends call me "Fudgie the whale,"
I refuse to get on the bathroom scale.
They say the only way I'll ever get a date,
Is if I sit on him
And steamroll my mate!
I went on some job interviews,
I was highly qualified!
They took one look at me,
And told me how many people had applied!
Look at the seats
On a bus, train or plane
A fat person has to squeeze into them
But they never will complain!
Why is this world so filled with prejudice and hate?
Why do people have to be judged by their weight?
Be more like the old owl, smart and yet so wise!
Judge people by what's in their heart,
Not by their size!

[This message has been edited by princess^sarah (edited 04-20-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 sarah alford - All Rights Reserved
Allan Riverwood
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
1 posted 2001-04-20 08:25 PM

YES!  This is awesome, Sarah, because you are writing about society for a change!  And I love it!  
This rules!  Very well done!
~Allan

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.  
~Unknown

anonymous albert ?
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-23
Posts 2979

2 posted 2001-04-20 09:03 PM

r u sure bout that sarah ?
hehehe yea...i believe u
this poem was different as in subject matter
i'm glad that u writin bout this world as i have its a great topic..keep writin

princess^sarah
since 2001-01-12
Posts 131
melbourne
3 posted 2001-04-20 09:21 PM

watch it boyo!

im not fat!!

:P

Fading Away
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-14
Posts 3131
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 posted 2001-04-21 12:00 PM

I like this a lot, Sarah.  It's good to see you writing about different stuff... very nicely done, here.  VERY nice  

--Marie

subconsciously, i think i can eat so much to make my stomach hurt, instead of my heart.

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
5 posted 2001-04-21 12:03 PM

AMEN

"So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this give life to thee."  W.S.

lonely*soul
since 2001-04-05
Posts 396
east haddam (moodus) ct :)
6 posted 2001-04-21 12:05 PM

omg...i liked this one alot, writin bout society...you go gurl!!!  but its true...

good job    *KiM*

" im surrounded by people, but yet im still all alone"

MindlessPoet
since 2001-04-20
Posts 106
Texas
7 posted 2001-04-21 01:43 AM

I love the topic and I agree with everything you said

*TiMMYBoY*
Yeah, that's me.  The Weird One.

cherish
since 2001-03-25
Posts 1639
swimming in fairy floss...........
8 posted 2001-04-21 01:52 AM

hey sarah..i liked your poem but i have a peeve:
why do you insist on giving us your wieght?
i mean if you're the one writing about it you should hold the views within the poem right?...i mean isnt that how it goes? you seem repulsed by the fact that sumone else may think that YOU'RE fat...why?
i dont mean to offend you or anything but the whole sincerness of your poem is lost by the fact that you dont want to be labled by a biased society as being "fat". yeah you know of the consequences but dont destroy  your poem by doing that...
by that i didnt mean to offend you at all hunny!!

"Life is not long and boring,
it's short and compelling." -Javier Agosto-

Deranger
since 2000-05-10
Posts 498
Somewhere, between here and there
9 posted 2001-04-21 02:04 AM

Exploration\Communication > Deversity > Misunderstanding > Predjudice > Hate > Violence > Annihilation

Welcome to the linear progression of humanity.  Depressing, ain't it?

Spreading insanity, one post at a time

My skull has glowing green eyes!

anonymous albert ?
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-23
Posts 2979

10 posted 2001-04-21 02:09 AM

lol!!!!.....................?

theres more..
injustice/lies/lonelychildren/poverty/crimes/innocent death/reality/rape/domestic violence/racism/abortion...........................

...?

death is not the greatest loss in life. the greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. -norman cousins

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
11 posted 2001-04-21 02:23 AM

Cherish is 100% right here on this one....I mean...you say you weigh 49kg or whatever....and how much is that anyway?!
Anyhow.....you say how much you weigh to let people know YOU aren't fat.....meaning you're saying it's a negative trait for a person to have, and thus you contradict the whole point of this poem....which is.....giving "fat people" respect.

I mean, why must we label them as fat people? you say it should be done by their heart.....so the title contradicts the point of the poem aswell.

Oh....and....I swear I didn't say a DEAD DOG.....she misunderstood....ok?

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I'm in love with my shadow
I admire it daily

Godsend_1
since 2001-04-19
Posts 247
great state of illinois
12 posted 2001-04-21 02:51 AM

yea i am forced to agree with cherish and dopey there but i also like the messege of your poem cuz i am slightly in the pugy side lol and i get made fun of all the time but ya know oh well there loss i say anyway bye bye for now
Jenn Cirrincione
Member Elite
since 2000-07-02
Posts 2107
Fl
13 posted 2001-04-21 08:25 AM

Yeah... I'm a stupid American... how much is 49 kg?? I'm assuming like 120 lbs....maybe?
Anyway, I completely agree with you. Why can't people just be mature. Why does everyone judge others? It's so ridiculous. I'm very glad you wrote this one.... however...I've gotta agree with Dopey and Cherish... you completley prove your own point by telling us how thin you are.

Jenn

"I've come too close to happiness, to have it swept away,don't think I can take the pain, never fall again..." Janet

[This message has been edited by Jenn Cirrincione (edited 04-21-2001).]

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

14 posted 2001-04-21 10:28 AM

What you say is true, life can be harder for larger people... bur confidence is a big factor. I am overweight and I've gone through the teasing and stuff, but I've found that I don't get a lot of it anymore (not for being big, at least    ). I think that a large factor (no pun intended    ) in this change is my behavior. I used to walk around with my head down, I wouldn't talk to anyone, and I was just ashamed of who I was, which is the worst thing you can do. Now I walk with my head high, and I'm proud to be the person I am, because I know that I'm a good person and that I deserve respect. I have a lot of friends and few enemies. Sure, I get the occasional comment, but it doesn't bother me that much anymore because I realize that those people have the problem, not me. Life is too short to worry about those kind of people. Thanks for sharing.

"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel."-Machiavelli
Blame Canada!

Allan Riverwood
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
15 posted 2001-04-21 10:52 AM

I think I understand why Sarah clarified her weight for everyone... it was to avoid any "it's ok, you're gonna be ok" replies.  Y'know?  She didn't want advice, or sympathy, or anything of the sort.  So she mentioned that it wasn't about her.  
Much in the same way if I wrote about a death in the family, I'd clarify at the beginning "oh by the way, this isn't about me."  She was just giving the background to the poem, and I don't think it's right of all of you to condemn her for it.  

AngelPoet87
since 2001-04-21
Posts 280
Indy
16 posted 2001-04-21 11:41 AM

Wow, its great to see someone finally writing about the injustice of being judged by your weight. Great poem and I hope you'll consider writing about society again because your quite good at it.

~alicia, aka: the new girl

Angel Bee
since 2001-01-30
Posts 176
Virginia
17 posted 2001-04-21 11:51 AM

I liked this one. I thought it was very good. I get critizied too, only its b/c ppl think im too skinny and it makes me mad sometimes. ppl shouldn't be put down b/c of their weight, i agree strongly! anyway, keep writing!  :o)
~ab~

*~Sometimes just holding hands is holding on to everything.~*

Starr
since 2001-02-08
Posts 100

18 posted 2001-04-21 12:07 PM

I agree with cherish & dopey.... it does kind of make the point your trying make, sort of say "Do as i say & not as i do". Don't get me wrong, I think the poem was very nice and to write about it and post is is very courageous, but you contrdicted point of the poem by giving your weight. I think it shows even though you don't like what ppl say about fat ppl u are bias to fat ppl without realizing it. The thought in the poem deserves an applause, I commend you  for that but try not to cotradict yourself next time.

Every action of our lives touches some chord that will vibrate in eternity.

~sugarpie313~
since 2000-09-14
Posts 375
Maine, USA
19 posted 2001-04-21 12:08 PM

Okay, for all you here who don't know how many pounds certain kilograms are. 2.2lbs=1kg
LOL    don't ask me how i know that, it was drilled into my head years ago but i agree with Allan's second response about avoiding the your gonna be ok responds. much like when people write about death "it's not about me it's for a friend" but whatever floats you guys' boats!  

Valerie

*Life can take your dreams and turn them upside down, Friends will talk about you when you're not around, but don't ever lose that light in your eyes*

Linc
since 2001-03-07
Posts 552
The Backstreet Boy
20 posted 2001-04-21 07:06 PM

Hey,

I think some people can be total [edit] and excuse my language but its true. I was just talking to a friend about the same topic while watching Fried Green Tomatoes   thats a good movie :'( though oh and I almost never do this but your title could be a tad nice such as ""over weight" or ""Larger"". Until your next poem

-- Linc

"Once you reach your original goal it seems that the journey was your real accomplishment."

[This message has been edited by LoveBug (edited 04-21-2001).]

Isabel Galaxia
since 2000-06-18
Posts 733

21 posted 2001-04-21 11:50 PM

I completely agree.  Try "whale" and "hippo" too, *ouch* those hurt!  Good job on this one
Bel

AngelShell
since 2000-03-01
Posts 446
not heaven nor hell so...
22 posted 2001-04-22 03:10 AM

Okay, I agree with what Allan said about the beginning part when she said "by the way this isn't about me" - then gave her weight, but I think (and I agree) that the thing that is tripping people up is the way she said "Watch it Boy, I'm NOT fat".
It was just the over exagerated "not" that made it seem like the idea of someone calling her fat was totally ludicrous (sp?)...

Heavens Tears
since 2001-03-15
Posts 677

23 posted 2001-04-22 07:33 PM

I see what Cherish is saying.  I understand that you are avoiding all the "Are you OK?" replies, but I kinda wondered the same thing.  Well anyways, great poem.  

*If the only place I can live my dreams is in my sleep, then I'll sleep forever!*

Suga_Baby
since 2000-08-06
Posts 380
Maine, USA
24 posted 2001-04-22 08:55 PM

Gotta go with Cherish and Dopey... other than that, I liked it  

"A dream is a wish your heart makes while you are fast asleep."

sleepymoongirl
since 2001-04-19
Posts 157
bc canada
25 posted 2001-04-22 09:29 PM

ahhhhhh thats crazy i was all trying to write u a message and i wound up like about to leave u a post.  oh wellz.  anywayz that poem was way cool.  like that u would write that for her. it isn't nice that people r like that to fat people. cuz they don't know what they are missing out on or the person they rn't giving a chance too.  pretty silly if ya think aboutz it. keep its up  

yay for the dancing baby keep writing  

[This message has been edited by sleepymoongirl (edited 04-22-2001).]

Low Man's Lyric
since 2001-04-03
Posts 236
In a dream
26 posted 2001-04-22 10:36 PM

49kg is about 107lbs if anyone is wondering.

Give her two red roses, each with a note. The first note says "For the woman I love" and the second, "For my best friend."  
~Anonymous

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » Fat people get no respect!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary