navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » John Lennon Said
Open Poetry #12
Post A Reply Post New Topic John Lennon Said Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea

0 posted 2001-03-17 06:05 PM

John Lennon Said

by Michael Auguste

As glowing embers turn to ash,
I probe my thoughts, think what to write.
A grieving spirit rests nearby.
Much emptier I find the night.

John Lennon said “All things must pass.”
It seems they’ve passed away from me.
So many things slipped through my hands.
I guess they were not meant to be.

I’m thrown to shatter on the floor.
Sometimes we all are broken, too.
Our job to pick the pieces up,
though often hard it is to do.

I know my laughter will return
and hurt will somehow disappear.
This grief will pass, as all things must
and memories won’t bring a tear.

Right now I choose to mourn the loss.
Each day and night I’ve need to weep.
All things must pass, a bitter truth.
I even cry within my sleep

Proust-
"Love is space and time measured by the heart"

© Copyright 2001 Michael Auguste - All Rights Reserved
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
1 posted 2001-03-17 07:57 PM

Michael--You write so well of feelings...seems life is full of shattering and picking up...Hugs!

"I’m thrown to shatter on the floor.
Sometimes we all are broken, too.
Our job to pick the pieces up,
though often hard it is to do."

Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
2 posted 2001-03-17 08:05 PM

I've been there, done that. Writing helps. Nice poem. Joyce
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2001-03-17 08:10 PM

And this too shall pass! Celebrate the life, and in joyeous memories sweet songs shall sing to your soul!
Mabel A. Dilley
since 2001-03-17
Posts 859
Seattle, WA, USA
4 posted 2001-03-17 08:11 PM

Tears cleanse and so does the brush of poetry so well written. Thank you for your words of wisdom.

"I am not now that which I have been."

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2001-03-17 10:13 PM

To know that someone can write of feelings like this shows us all your strength....
Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
6 posted 2001-03-17 10:50 PM

Martie, Joyce, Mysteria, Julian & Sunshine,

I hope you'll forgive me for not responding to each of you individually. I want to thank you all for taking the time to read this and for the kind and sincere comments. They are much appreciated. I just want to tell you that. I wish a pleasant and peaceful weekend to you.

Michael

Proust-

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2001-03-18 09:05 PM

Hi...loved the poem, but do have to question the title (forgive me, but I'm persnickety about me Beatles) But? "All things must pass" was GEORGE HARRISON'S work, released in 1970, produced by Phil Spector, it is considered Harrison's all time best collection of work. Another interesting note is that George Harrison also had the first solo Beatle #1 hit album with this collection---probably due to the fact that while with the Beatles he was allotted a mere two songs per album--and therefore had an "archive" waiting for release. However, no matter who said it? The point of your poem is the same...smiles to you my friend, I loved your poem, and love my Beatles... and forgive my Beatlemania.

sorry had to edit to add still yet another interesting point of reference---the release of "All Things Must Pass" also marked the first (and I believe the ONLY time) a Beatle was accused of copyright infringement ( and I KNOW someone will correct me if I'm wrong ) but the song in question, was "My Sweet Lord" which does cannily resemble "He's So Fine"---original recording by the Chiffons. Sorry...I do go on and on about these things...mea culpa. I'll shaddup now! maybe...

[This message has been edited by serenity (edited 03-19-2001).]

Suetang
Member Ascendant
since 2001-03-07
Posts 5187
Melbourne, Australia
8 posted 2001-04-01 10:19 PM

So very beautiful and tragic at the same time Michael.....your writing truly touches the soul, it certainly does that with me.  Thank you so much......Sue

Suetang

Auguste
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
9 posted 2001-04-02 02:43 AM

Sue,

They're mere words, strung together to express a writer's heart.  That they touch you in a special way, gives me pleasure.  Thank you.

Michael

Proust-

NIAI
since 2001-03-29
Posts 52

10 posted 2001-04-04 01:20 PM

Appreciate your view on Lennon's words. I'm only now,late in life, struggling with the image in the "mirror" As you believe - picking up the pieces....  Perhaps this is how we also as John said  "..give peace a chance"        

NIAI

niai@eznet.net

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » John Lennon Said

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary