navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » so lost
Open Poetry #12
Post A Reply Post New Topic so lost Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dennis
since 2001-02-19
Posts 235
Indiana

0 posted 2001-03-04 06:06 PM

I sat in the library, lost but never found
unburdening my thoughts one day
until the computers all went down
I felt so lost, and turned away.

I walked the streets and turned a corner
never mind the smiling faces
cup of coffee for a quarter
dreaming of those island places.

I just can't write poetry
it's not the guy I am, I wonder
is there something else you see
I offer you this question to ponder.

Thanks for reading, this is fun, but I think I'm more the reader type!
who knows, maybe in time!!!!!!

© Copyright 2001 Dennis - All Rights Reserved
inot2B
Member Elite
since 2000-09-18
Posts 2205
Arkansas
1 posted 2001-03-04 06:10 PM

Hey you do just fine. That is what's so nice about this place. You can read and if you so feel moved write poetry.
Meadowmuse
Member Elite
since 1999-12-27
Posts 3263

2 posted 2001-03-04 06:20 PM

Hi, Dennis. I've not read your poems before this one, but I can tell you that every writer becomes discouraged. (And some of us stay that way.) (o:

Poetry isn't exactly something one can simply "pick up and do" at a moment's whim. It takes time, lots of practice, and lots and LOTS of reading. So do read, read as much as you can, especially the classic works of the wonderful poets who have come and gone before us, for they laid the foundation for this expressive art, and we have much to learn from them.

Learning languages other than our native one and learning (preferably through first hand experience) about other cultures is also very helpful to gain an understanding of what poetry does for us and what it can do for reader and writer alike. As we learn about the human condition, so we learn to express it in an evocative way.

Hope you will keep trying, and give yourself time. Life gives us continuous opportunity to learn, if we allow it.

Good luck to you,
Claire

Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?......Henry David Thoreau

Voiceless
since 2001-02-19
Posts 686
Under the stars upon the wind
3 posted 2001-03-04 06:40 PM

You are doing fine don't worry!
All it takes is a heart, desire to write,
and well words!
The more you read the better i think
you are able to write.
Trying just free lance writing
just write a bunch of words
explaling how you feel.
Put them together with a
few descriptive words
and you got yourself a poem...
The more you write the more you love it and the better you are..

~*Peachy Be*~

snowpants
Member Elite
since 2000-09-16
Posts 2061
KS
4 posted 2001-03-04 07:33 PM

I think you did a great job with this one, Dennis! Don't give up...something we must all remember, I think.

sp

do I believe we'd be better off apart?
can I see my world without you in it?
baby, not for a single minute...

Celeste
since 2000-11-11
Posts 597

5 posted 2001-03-04 08:32 PM

You can write poetry and you do it beautifully. Poetry is, for everyone, a different thing. It's an individual voice, a soul, speaking out. And yours is lovely. When you write from the heart, it's always true and beautiful.

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."

~Winston Churchill~

Lone Wolf
Member Ascendant
since 2000-03-16
Posts 5842
Lansing, MI USA
6 posted 2001-03-04 08:33 PM

Dennis,

This was good. It was honest and straightforward. You pull no punches in your writing and I like that. Reading will help you become a better writer, but so will practice. Just read through some of the archives. I hope you will stick around a while. Nice work.

Lone Wolf

Poetry should surprise by fine excess...it should strike the reader as a wording of his own highest thoughts and appear almost a remembrance. -J.Keats

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » so lost

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary