navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #7 » they're only bones
Open Poetry #7
Post A Reply Post New Topic they're only bones Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

0 posted 2000-06-01 01:44 AM

Anything could happen.
Anything could happen.
Anything could happen.
Anything could happen.
What do you say to a girl who wants to die?
Who chose it -- yes, it's all her fault.
It's all our faults for living, too.
It's all our faults for hoping our way through.
It's all our faults for falling into the faultline,
And instead of causing a quake,
Just a smear in the sunshine.

It's all our faults for believing the lies and the truths
And the whispers and the I love yous.
It's all ---

Anything could happen. Anything could happen. Anything could happen. Anything could happen.
Anything could happen. Can you feel the energy in the air tonight?
Can you feel the energy in the air tonight?
Can you feel you pulling yourself apart,
Saying matter of factly "They're only bones"
As you hang -- what a snap.
A line of blood, slick and shiny in the dark?
His face has always been laughing at you.
Go to him, and be laughed at some more.

Because anything can happen. Anything can happen. Anything can happen. Anything can happen. Anything can happen. Can you feel the energy? Anything can happen. Can you feel your knees on concrete? Anything can happen. Can you say please in a wheeze? Anything can happen? Did you just sneeze? So that's what death sounds like when you fly, a broken bird, from the rooftops. A stupid insignificant sneeze.
Please.

Anything can happen as we walk through the coal nursing holes that are beyond our control. I fill it with hope. You fill it with ropes. Who's the dope? Who can cope?

Passion is a misguided, flaming bird. You either let it burn you through, ("pleasure can be pain") or you extinguish it quick -- don't choke on the smoke; maybe you'll get rich.

Anything can happen when the fragile world shows us new cracks to care about. Anything can happen when the sound of falling thunder makes you feel like a scared angry child. Anything can happen when your genius words become bones flayed in the light. Pick them apart. Save me a slice.

Save me 29. Because one isn't enough to reflect. Two isn't enough to reject. Three isn't enough to hurt. Four isn't enough to flirt. Five isn't enough to cry. Six isn't enough to die. Seven isn't enough to crawl. Eight isn't enough to bawl. Nine isn't enough to crash. Ten isn't enough to lash. Eleven isn't enough to break. Twelve isn't enough to consider this a mistake. Thirteen isn't enough to learn. Fourteen isn't enough to burn. Fifteen isn't enough to need. Sixteen isn't enough to bleed. Seventeen isn't enough to dream. Eighteen isn't enough to scream. Nineteen isn't enough to drop the bloody blade. Twenty isn't enough to feel unmade. Twenty-one isn't enough to slice slice slice. Twenty-two isn't enough to feel awful nice. Twenty-three isn't enough to pray. Twenty-four isn't enough to feel like clay. Twenty-five isn't enough to hear music again. Twenty-six isn't enough to lose all your friends. Twenty-seven isn't enough to drain the guilt. Twenty-eight isn't enough to turn to silt. Twenty-nine bleeding trails; still not enough to wilt.

There is nothing I can do to save you. I love you so much, I burn. You want someone not afraid to touch? Oh, I'll touch you.

With more than any words my brain can stretch. I'd find a way to keep you in a calm. I'd find a way to keep sweat off your palm.

Of course, that will never happen. So I hope you see god before you see heaven. I hope you see love before you see hate. I hope you see what won't make this too late.

They're only bones, after all. Only broken words trailing back years. They're not worth fixing. Let 'em stay fractured. It's better to feel unhealthy and fractured.

F___ what's better; I still love you, and I refuse to taste the tears.

© Copyright 2000 MPC - All Rights Reserved
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

1 posted 2000-06-01 02:18 AM

I hope you are sitting down...we are gonna be here a while. *smile*>>>>>>>

---------
It's all our faults for believing the lies and the truths
And the whispers and the I love yous.
It's all ---
-------------
Can you feel you pulling yourself apart,
Saying matter of factly "They're only bones"
As you hang -- what a snap.
A line of blood, slick and shiny in the dark?
His face has always been laughing at you.
Go to him, and be laughed at some more.
------------
Anything can happen as we walk through the coal nursing holes that are beyond our control. I fill it with hope. You fill it with ropes. Who's the dope? Who can cope?
------------
Save me 29. Because one isn't enough to reflect. Two isn't enough to reject. Three isn't enough to hurt. Four isn't enough to flirt. Five isn't enough to cry. Six isn't enough to die. Seven isn't enough to crawl. Eight isn't enough to bawl. Nine isn't enough to crash. Ten isn't enough to lash. Eleven isn't enough to break. Twelve isn't enough to consider this a mistake
-------------
There is nothing I can do to save you. I love you so much, I burn. You want someone not afraid to touch? Oh, I'll touch you.

With more than any words my brain can stretch. I'd find a way to keep you in a calm. I'd find a way to keep sweat off your palm.

Of course, that will never happen. So I hope you see god before you see heaven. I hope you see love before you see hate. I hope you see what won't make this too late.

They're only bones, after all. Only broken words trailing back years. They're not worth fixing. Let 'em stay fractured. It's better to feel unhealthy and fractured.

F___ what's better; I still love you, and I refuse to taste the tears.
----------------

oh man, i am awe struck...
the desperation in this poem is amazing...
I honestly dont have the words to tell you how this effects me...
somehow I think you already know...
so I will leave it at that...
other than to say thank you for sharing it.
take care my kind poet friend,
bs/jm

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

2 posted 2000-06-01 02:42 AM

Well, I have a very nutty friend who actually did this to herself. I sent this as an e-mail to her. I'm through with sympathy; this has been going on too long. Anyway, goodnight.  

MIke

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2000-06-01 04:27 AM

This is one of the saddest things I've ever read...and a little scary too, because I understand...and it's true, tho, sometimes ya just got to let things be...sometimes you just gotta say, what the hell...thanks Mike.
I think you can make sense of this reply, anyway....but I am feeling better now (by comparison?) so I exit smiling....

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

4 posted 2000-06-01 11:31 PM

It's always good to keep you smiling, don't you agree, serenity?   No, that wasn't a poem -- though it sounded sorta like one; I'm just too good!   ii Anyway, I'll get to your e soon. I've had my hands full with this friend who didn't think one cut was enough -- let's go for 29! Drama is a part of life I'd like to STAY OUT OF, thanks.   iii (as if you couldn't count)

Mike

Butterflies_dont_cry
Member Elite
since 2000-03-06
Posts 3733
Michigan
5 posted 2000-06-01 11:41 PM

Mike*
I know where you are coming from, I've been here and don't ever want to go back. I spent many nights racing to a friend who would call and tell me she wanted to die, I would hold her hand and talk her through the night until morning only to do it again the next night.  I thought my heart would break when I had to stop for me...and for her.  I hope your friend sees the love you have for her in this and can feel how much you care..should she choose to care for herself.  Thank you for sharing this.

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

6 posted 2000-06-02 12:07 PM

B_d_c,

Thank you for your kind and understanding reply.  

Mike

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #7 » they're only bones

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary