navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #7 » Dear God
Open Poetry #7
Post A Reply Post New Topic Dear God Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania

0 posted 2000-05-26 07:32 AM

Dear God

Dear God, please tell me what I’ve done
To warrant such distress
My heart is filled with sorrow
And my soul with helplessness
I thought my fears were all behind
My dues already paid
And now I fear tomorrow’s light
My heart is still afraid

Dear God, please tell me what I’ve done
To warrant utter joy
And so much love and happiness
From just one little boy
You’ve blessed me with four grandson’s now
Four times from up above
I never thought I would be blessed
So graciously with love

Dear God, would you explain to me
Why I must bear the weight
Of dreaded illness that befalls
My family of late
Is this just one more little test
To prove my faith in Thee
It’s very hard to understand
Why you have chosen me

Dear God, I was just wondering
Why You honor so my life
With blessings much more wondrous
Than those others full of strife
My garden’s filled with floral hues
My table lacks no meal
My heart can bearly hold the loving
Sentiments I feel

Dear God, if You could weigh my fate
Upon Your heavenly scale
The truth of life would be displayed
In ways that never fail
Contentment would outweigh the pain
Not in the numbers shown
But in the spirit’s well of truth
How deep the soul has grown

You can't weigh sorrow, grief or joy
On any scale that you employ
The spirit has no width or breadth
God only ever measures depth

Elizabeth Santos

[This message has been edited by Elizabeth Santos (edited 05-26-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Elizabeth Santos - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2000-05-26 07:42 AM

Elizabeth, for all of the weight I see in this poem, I also see many silver linings.  It is not easy to hear "count your blessings" but you have many, and I count you and yours among mine.  Thank you.

Sunshine
Look, then, into thine heart, and write ~~~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
2 posted 2000-05-26 07:49 AM

Oh, my friend ...
God sits counsel with you in
the blessings you bestow with
your optimism.
What a joy to read your perspectives.
You do indeed count your blessings.
Your 'depth', He has measured ...
and you have met the yardstick of
His standards ... I'm sure of it.
Love ya', Lizzie.
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 2000-05-26 07:53 AM

I do believe that we all have a balance of blessings and burdens that befall us at different times in our lives... The burdened times are surely difficult. I have great faith in your strength, my friend.. God Bless
Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
4 posted 2000-05-26 08:25 AM

Elizabeth,
No need to say how wonderful this poem is.
I once wrote a poem called "Delemma" it went something like this.

We float
a field
of gravity hence
Weigh
only
in a sense.
We feel
the pull
of gravity hence
weigh
only
as in dense.
A self
made field
that only acts
upon itself.

I don't know if this will have meaning to you
but it does to me. Love Sy

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

5 posted 2000-05-26 08:45 AM

Lizzy I have to say that this is one of the most precious poems I have read in my life.

Thankyou for sharing this.

Your wisdom and brave heart are inspirational.

You deserve the very best of God's blessings and they are often found in small and unexpected places.

Like in a flower as you say. I saw four monarch butterflies today...all together in a garden - how beautiful they were! God speaks through things like that...

Many hugs
K

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
6 posted 2000-05-26 08:56 AM

This was an incredibly moving poem and touched me deeply Elizabeth.  Please check your e-mail shortly for a message.

Best wishes,
/Kit

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

7 posted 2000-05-26 09:26 AM

This is very touching, Elizabeth. God has certainly given you insight and wisdom in all of it. This is excellent. It has blessed me deeply.

Denise

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
8 posted 2000-05-26 11:41 AM

Liz--you have filled my heart up with this wonderful poem to God...your faith and beauiful soul shine so pure and true..your courage is undaunted by your questioning.  Much love and hugs to you, my sweet friend.
LngJhnAg
Member Elite
since 1999-07-23
Posts 3508
Boot+Kitty=Poetry in motion
9 posted 2000-05-26 12:57 PM

Liz

This poem is so deep and perceptive - you are truly a sage (but not a sage hen).

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

10 posted 2000-05-26 02:10 PM

Liz, you amaze me with your wonderful understanding and talent. It's good that you see life is such a way. God bless you, my friend.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde

TerryW
since 2000-03-23
Posts 779
Louisville, Mississippi, USA
11 posted 2000-05-26 04:38 PM

Liz~
     My dear, I love this.  So heartfelt, so true.  Such a powerful way to realize your blessings.  You have done a wonderful job!  Absolutely amazing!

Love Ya~

~you reached inside, you touched my heart,
and I am all the better for it~
Terry A. Woodson, Jr.

Rosemary J. Gwaltney
since 1999-08-26
Posts 997
northern mountains, Idaho
12 posted 2000-05-26 05:57 PM

Oh My God,

Oh my dearest Lis, this piece tugs my very soul. Today is Rosemary's mom & dad's 50th. I don't have words to tell you my heart... Ain't that somethin'..! I can't believe how time flies. All I could offer Rj. was "I hope we celebrate our 50th. in Heaven... All my best to you and all of yours. Rosemary sends love and prayers as I do also.

Peace in Christ... (Lucky) Dale & Rosemary

[Liz, this is written by Dale as I'm confined to the lap-top. I didn't notice that Rosemary's name was on top. She will probably reply too, sorry 'bout that.]

< !signature-->

The spiritual wind that holds survivors aloft, plants the seeds from which bloom new hope ... R.J.G.

[This message has been edited by Rosemary J. Gwaltney (edited 05-26-2000).]

Lorraine Nisbet
since 2000-05-18
Posts 218
Jersey City, NJ USA
13 posted 2000-05-26 06:09 PM

You have touched my heart, Elizabeth and I thank you.

~Lorraine

Rosemary J. Gwaltney
since 1999-08-26
Posts 997
northern mountains, Idaho
14 posted 2000-05-26 06:52 PM

Dear Liz,

This is an extraordinarily deep, beautiful and moving poem.  This one did much more than bring tears.  It touched the core of my being, where all my own pain lies, but also where all my faith is deeply rooted.

I know from your writing, that you are a child of God, and that you have nothing to fear, except for anguish down here on earth.  Therefore, I can say with confidence, that I am going to love getting to know you and Tony in Heaven some day, when we all get there.  Your faith in God shines with a rare brilliance;  I can almost see God’s gentle, sorrowful face smiling down on you with such a deep love.  I know He is grieved at your sorrow, hating to see you or any of His children in pain.  I know He is tenderly, greatly proud of  your firm faith in His love, and ultimate reward in Heaven; and filled with love for you.

This is an imperfect world, but He is a perfect God.  Your poems show me that you already know what Jesus said.  John 14:27-28 - “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

And, I need to mention a comfort my mother taught me forty years ago, which has soothed many a heartache for me - a verse I am certain you know as well, about Heaven:  Rev. 21:4 - “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain ...”  These, and many other verses have held me up during devastating earthly times.  I love you, my friend.  I will keep you and your entire family in my prayers.

Love,    Rosemary

~ ~ ~

The spiritual wind that holds survivors aloft, plants the seeds from which bloom new hope ... R.J.G.

Pepper
Member Elite
since 1999-08-19
Posts 3079
Southern Florida
15 posted 2000-05-26 07:42 PM

Liz, I will echo all before me ... You, my friend, are such an inspiration .....
Love & (Hugs)

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
16 posted 2000-05-26 07:52 PM

I appologize for not responding individually to this poem, but my time has become more limited. Please know that you all sure did pull my heartstrings with your love and your sweet responses to this poem, and I read over them several times. Thank you so much for your input to this topic, which is so important to me
Love
Liz
Roemary and Dale, you will see an e-mail shortly

Rosebud1229
since 2000-04-05
Posts 1813
North Carolina
17 posted 2000-05-26 11:55 PM

Elizabeth I truly admire your wisdom in this poem for God does understand all things even when we tend to let go he's always there for us. These words are very inspiring to me. comes from the book The Great House of God by  Max Lucado.... God is
                   the shepherd who guides,
                   the Lord who provides,
                   the voice who brings
                   peace in the storm,
                   the physician who heals
                   the sick, and the banner
                   that guides the soldier.
                   And most of all, he......
                   is.

Meadowmuse
Member Elite
since 1999-12-27
Posts 3263

18 posted 2000-05-27 12:11 PM

Liz, your poetry always reflects your innerspaces and I admire that so much. Much love and peace to you, my friend...

~ Claire

Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?......Henry David Thoreau

Cerenity
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 2637
Escondido-California
19 posted 2000-05-28 10:21 AM

Hi Liz,

This is just simply the most beautiful thing I have ever read. The words Dear God have sush power, it can mean we are in need or just simply praising his name and what he has bestoad upon us, but for what ever reason we call on him for I know he hear's are prayers and indeed loves us no matter what that is the most wonderful thing about him is no matter who or what we are he still care's and when some one like you that has blessed so many people with your loving kindness is in need I have no doubt he is with you. I want to thank you for blessing my life for your personal help and also for so many beautiful poems that I have had the privillage of reading, they have givien me such unmeasuable joy in mind and life and I am sure others feel the same about your poetry too. I will continue to pray for you and your family.

Love,  Cerenity

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
20 posted 2000-05-28 11:13 AM

Rosebud,
These are beautiful words you quote. I enjoyed reading them. Thanks for sharing and for responding to this poem with such lovely thoughts

Claire,
Thank you, dear friend, your words are so kind.

Cerenity,
What lovely comments you honor me with. I don't know what to say, it's so nice when a poem you write has meaning to someone. Thanks for your generous remarks, and accept my love in return

Liz

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #7 » Dear God

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary