navwin » Archives » Corner Pub #2 » Untitled by: me
Corner Pub #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Untitled by: me Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Roberta Little
since 2001-12-18
Posts 42
beloit wi usa

0 posted 2005-04-01 07:25 PM

As the young girl sat there; contemplating what to write,
the teacher get on her case. Again. How could she write about herself?
Who was she, really? How was she to write about herself
when she didnt know what to write? How could she tell others
who she was, if she didnt know herself?
Should she lie, guess? No, she couldn't,she had to be honest.
That ment that she could write nothing, for she was unsure
of anything. In the end she simpley turned in
a piece of paper that was blank, save for her name and the date.

GOD's greatist gift is LOVE

© Copyright 2005 roberta little - All Rights Reserved
Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
1 posted 2005-04-01 09:48 PM

Well that's one way to do it.  Joyce
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
2 posted 2005-04-01 10:42 PM

honestly, it makes me nuts when teachers do this...my kids tell me stuff like this, and you know, if they want to really know who you are, or who you think you are when you are in your teens, it may make their hair fall out with what you would really put. It would be a better question to ask what kind of person you hope to be, or something along those lines. Next time they do this kind of an assignment, maybe just write, :work in progress:  
Annie78
since 2003-10-03
Posts 469
here then there then back here
3 posted 2005-04-02 02:11 AM

roberta, i agree with the work in progress theory. i hated these kind of assignments when i was in school, when my children were in school, and now while my grandchildren face them. my teachers may be appaulled even today to find out that at my age i still don't know who i am most of the time. depends on what assignment God has for me each morning when i open my eyes.
Annie

there is but a short time to exist, love,laugh,live and never stop believing in miracles

pegasus111
Member Elite
since 2000-07-27
Posts 2219
ocala, fl, usa
4 posted 2005-04-03 03:24 PM

it is sad, is it not, that so many of us do not know who or what we are? In most cases, we do not give it the serious thought beforehand it deserves when, suddenly, we are under the gun to come up with an answer. Perhaps parents should provide more guidance at an earlier age to young ones who may be lost or confused. Often, we are too busy seeking our oun identities to help our children find theirs. What better way to start then to ask ourselves, "who am I.?" Answers may be slow to develop at first but the important thing is that the question was even asked. After all, people are not dogs, chasing their tails in endless circles, but human beings, capable of rational thought. In many cases, we are too lazy to think rationally because we fear the answers. I assume that as responsible parents, we chose to teach our children to face tough challenges rather than recoil in fear and confusion. But, that's just my opinion.

the woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and many miles to go before I sleep...Frost

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
5 posted 2005-04-03 09:10 PM

pegasus,
I didn't say to fear that question or to cower from it, it just seems so pointless to me. Most kids don't know who they are at that age, and I don't see a valid point in asking them. It's hard enough just trying to get through school without getting picked on, trying to keep your grades up, stay away from peer pressures, trying to fit in....then  you have to know who you are on top of all that? What ever happened to just raising our kids to be respectful, thoughtful, caring individuals who hopefully will get a solid education and do something meaningful and enjoyable with their lives and be happy?

pegasus111
Member Elite
since 2000-07-27
Posts 2219
ocala, fl, usa
6 posted 2005-04-04 07:09 AM

" What ever happened to just raising our kids to be respectful, thoughtful, caring individuals who hopefully will get a solid education and do something meaningful and enjoyable with their lives and be happy?"

Isn't this teaching them who they are?

the woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and many miles to go before I sleep...Frost

Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
7 posted 2005-04-04 05:01 PM

pegasus-
I agree with you. I know that my parents were not responsible nor were they a great influence and my dad constantly put us down, therefore at any age in school if a teacher were to ask me to write something.........i wouldn't be able to answer them at all. I had no self esteem or any confidence. Now that I have my own kids, if you were to ask my son to write about himself, he would.

" What ever happened to just raising our kids to be respectful, thoughtful, caring individuals who hopefully will get a solid education and do something meaningful and enjoyable with their lives and be happy?"

There are kids out there that are still being raised like that. It all depends on the parents and how they raise their child.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Corner Pub #2 » Untitled by: me

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary