navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #8 » “The Mundane Poet of Generic Words”
Open Poetry #8
Post A Reply Post New Topic “The Mundane Poet of Generic Words” Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Effigy
since 2000-04-11
Posts 486
disbelief

0 posted 2000-06-20 03:18 AM

I have written words on paper.
I have bared thoughts to nameless readers.
I am literally a whore of literary dimensions,
I am a delusional little poet.

Thought once that I cold make them think,
maybe arouse some inner feelings
long sense forgotten in mundane
suburban existence.

Perhaps I fooled myself?
Perhaps I fooled you all?
Perhaps no one noticed?
Perhaps no one at all?

I Painted pictures with words
on plain white paper, but the colors
were just not bright enough, and
the images faded in time.

You never really felt me.
You never truly understood.
You may have read, but
You never saw the clues.

My feelings (piled away
and organized in generic manila folders)
along with my soul have  been lost in the lines of type,
with so many misplaced emotions and nameless authors.

I wrote.
I saw.
I felt.

And in the end nothing had significantly changed.

< !signature-->

After all, what is reality anyway? Nothin' but a collective hunch.

[This message has been edited by Effigy (edited 06-22-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 wes wiggins - All Rights Reserved
Meadowmuse
Member Elite
since 1999-12-27
Posts 3263

1 posted 2000-06-20 10:22 AM

"I wrote.
I saw.
I felt."

What else is a poet to do? We do these things that you speak of, in various order, intermingled. Change needn't be monumental to be significant, though. Keep writing, please!  

~ Claire

Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?......Henry David Thoreau

Effigy
since 2000-04-11
Posts 486
disbelief
2 posted 2000-06-21 12:01 PM

I asure you that this was not a threat to quite writing, it was just a story.

After all, what is reality anyway? Nothin' but a collective hunch.

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
3 posted 2000-06-22 12:57 PM

The pen is mightier than the sword!  Yet those of us who wield a pen so often go unnoticed, our words unread, or worse, ignored.  The power to change the very existence of humanity flows from our quill and seemingly stays there for posterity's sake if no one elses...

Am I rambling again? damn.  I like the work you've done here.  I spoke to me of frustration and ire...

Cast a vote - I did!

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
JP

"Everything is your own damn fault, if you are any good." E. Hemmingway

Ryan
since 1999-06-10
Posts 297
Kansas
4 posted 2000-06-22 02:15 PM

I like this.  I like the tragic, tried to beat fate but failed, feel  that I get.  This is very powerful.

Ryan

I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
—Jack Kerouac

Corazon
since 2000-02-02
Posts 1209

5 posted 2000-06-22 05:05 PM

this is nice, I loved the end....I have certainly been there...though I must say if my writing changes not a single reader, it changes me, it helps me accept, it helps me know when its time for a change....
nice poem  

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
6 posted 2000-06-22 05:44 PM

It is strange because I was reading a Sylvia Plath poem today called still born, "These poems do not live" also I was thinking about it today. I mean what impact do our poems have, will they live forever? everyone here hopes that history will remember some of their poems. I guess for the moment we can only address the present.

"When the clock signals my perishing hour
of a deathbed, will I recite a verse or die in silent dignity?
I have penned epitaphs on snow, and written my legacy in dust." These are the words I wrote today.

anyway enough of my rambling Effigy, a wonderful poem. Really enjoyed it and I belive you have addressed the concerns of every poet.

A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

forne_marin
since 2004-04-13
Posts 140
Spartanburg, South Carolina
7 posted 2004-04-16 12:13 PM

HOLY CRAP. I don't get you, man. I go though four or five of your average to mediocre poems, just get to the point where I'm ready to call it a day and you throw this one at me and renew my hope. This is DEFINATELY going on the favorites list. At first I found it a little trite and thought you were being spiteful, but as I kept on into it your rhyme scheme and rhythm drew me in and I could not help but be blown away by it. My favorite parts are the "Perhaps I fooled myself?/Perhaps I fooled you all?/Perhaps no one noticed?/Perhaps no one at all?" Lyrically it's not that impressive, but the rhyme and rhythm are so compelling I couldn't help but love it. "My feelings (piled away/and organized in generic manila folders)" Again, a BRILLLIANT analogy/observation. "And in the end nothing had significantly changed." Talk about bowling a perfect game. The last line is beautiful summation. If I wasn't sold all ready, that last line would have closed the deal. This is one of the best of yours I've seen.
The only critique I have of it is to change "in generic manila folders" to "into generic manila folders". Other than that it's amazing.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #8 » “The Mundane Poet of Generic Words”

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary