navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #3 » The Monster
Teen Poetry #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Monster Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
TAP2
since 2000-06-29
Posts 211
Morris, Il USA

0 posted 2000-07-12 11:09 AM

I had a dream, in this dream I stood
With a young boy at the edge of a wooded acre
"He's here," he said, "Who is?" I asked
He took my hand and we walked together
" The Monster, " he replied,then fell silent in fear
The grip on my hand tightened
I looked at him, eyes full of tears
But could not understand why he was so frightened

I turned away, then turned back again
And much to my surprise
The boy was older, still holding my hand
The same fear in his eyes
"He's here," he said, "Who is?" I asked
Then asked him once again
He answered not, simply led me on
Still grasping firm my hand

A little further, he'd grown again
Into a sixteen-year-old young man
"He's here," he whispered softly
I asked him who again
"The Monster,"he said, still so afraid
And yet he led me on
I oblivious to this demon
Did not know what was wrong

Then finally the forest cleared
I looked and to my surprise
A man stood in front of me
With that little boy in his eyes
He let go my hand and walked away
It was then I saw
That boy was me, I am the man, the forest "growing up"
And I "The Monster" of it all

Afterthought:
Sometimes we lose that little boy or little girl inside
When we grow up so fast like so many do these days
We kill childhood with responsibility
And that little boy or girl never gets to come out and play

-Thomas A. Plemmons
< !signature-->

"I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss The Dance"

-Garth Brooks-

[This message has been edited by TAP2 (edited 07-12-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Thomas A. Plemmons - All Rights Reserved
Kittie
since 2000-07-08
Posts 103

1 posted 2000-07-12 02:32 PM

This was really great, I really liked it.  I feel as though I've grown up too fast, and so do my parents, so.. This poem really touched me.  I like it a lot, keep up the great work!
Kittie

Snickers
since 2000-05-25
Posts 88
East Haddam, CT
2 posted 2000-07-12 04:48 PM

Thomas,
  I'm beginning to run out of adjectives for u'r work!    For this one, lets go with remarkable.  The message u conveyed iz so true, and I can totally relate.  Growing up iz something that has to be done, although some aren't as anxious to do it as others.  When u grow up too quickly, it's easy to get overwhelmed.  But the experiences of life and growing up only make u stronger.  Although the struggle can be a "monster" u've got to overcome it.  

~<3 Alwayz~
  **Nikki**

~*~*~*~*"We can complain because roses have thorns, or we can rejoice because thorns have roses." *~*~*~*~

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
3 posted 2000-07-13 06:03 AM

Excellent work Thomas!  The story flowed beautifully from beginning to end. Much enjoyed this I did!

Best wishes,
/Kit

Jeremy Halstead
since 2000-06-01
Posts 569
Morris, Ill. U.S.A
4 posted 2000-07-13 06:09 AM

Well Tom, I must say...this is the probably the most creative and interesting theme I've read in here.  Also, I'd like you to know that if nothing else in life, you can feel assured that you are very strong and are beating the monster.

Jeremy

"Time is the matter, and in a matter of that all wounds will heal and all scars shall fade."

Jacman
since 2000-06-27
Posts 291
Dwight Il, US
5 posted 2000-07-13 11:04 AM

You need to put all of your work togethor, and run, not walk, but run to a publishing company.  I believe that you have a greater gift here than with your music.  And by the way since I've blocked out most of my childhood I live it now.  So instead of a normal 20 year old, I am a responsible, hard working, angry, depressed, four year old.  That pretty much covers it.  Later

jason

Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~
6 posted 2000-07-13 06:20 PM

i am amazed with your work...you have a talent that i wish i could have...you are one of the best writers who work i have ever read...keep up the good work...i am becoming quite a fan of yours...you got my vote...

~IF YOU WANT SOMETHING VERY BADLY~SET IT FREE~IF IT COMES BACK TO YOU~ITS YOURS FOREVER~IF IT DOESNT IT WAS NEVER YOURS TO BEGIN WITH~

BabyGirl1
since 2000-07-02
Posts 91
Morris, IL
7 posted 2000-07-14 12:13 PM

This is one of my favorite poems of yours.  I love it.  It is so true and honest.  I feel at times as if I have lost a lot of my childhood, but you always seem to bring that little girl out of me!  Thank you.

Love always,
BabyGirl1

"We are each of us angels with only one wing. And we can fly only by embracing each other."

-Luciano de Crescenzo-

April Resi
since 1999-10-18
Posts 119
Alabama
8 posted 2000-07-14 12:28 PM

Oh wow. You have no idea how close to home this hits. Everyone always said I was a very mature kid and now I'm finding out all the draw backs, as everyone expects me to be so mature all the time. It's no fun someimes and I wish I could've had more time playing like a normal kid than I did. I really loved the poem and I think it is the best I've ever read from you...which I saying a great deal because I love everything you write!
April

The_Driven
since 2000-07-11
Posts 60

9 posted 2000-07-14 12:41 PM

I completely agree that we kill childhood with responsibility, and that most ids grow up too fast. I also enjoyed how you said that in your poem. Very good job!
LyricFetish
since 2000-01-13
Posts 528
North Carolina
10 posted 2000-07-14 01:55 AM

This is really, very, totally, extremely, awesomely, completely, omigodly sensational!! You've inspired the use of my entire vocabulary  to tell you what I think. Awesome theme, well-written, very true. You rock, my friend. Be cool.

*~Meredith~*

It's so obvious
That the promise
Keeps me here
Painting pictures where
All the colors
Disappear
*Lit

StarPryncess17
since 2000-05-31
Posts 932
Colorado
11 posted 2000-07-15 12:16 PM

Thomas! this one was simply wonderful!! you have such a way with words!!! The way you worded it all was excellent. And I must say that you are right, I too, have lost the little girl inside trying to "grow up" so fast! Of course, 16 probably isn't too too late to go back and maybe find the lil jessica again, who knows. anyways, magnificent work!! LOVED IT! Love Always~*~Jessica~*~

~*~My fire is dead,it knew no pain; yet it is dead and I remain: All stiff with ice ashes lie;and they are dead, and I will die~*~

TAP2
since 2000-06-29
Posts 211
Morris, Il USA
12 posted 2000-07-15 11:19 AM

You all have no idea how much I appreciate you compliments. When I wrote this one I was afraid it was to grim. I am awestruck by your words of praise for words that are only my lowly, pauper's thoughts. You'll never know how much you mean to me personally.

Thomas A. Plemmons

"I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss The Dance"

-Garth Brooks-

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
13 posted 2007-12-01 11:12 PM

Enjoyed

ARCTIC WIND

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #3 » The Monster

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary