navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #3 » Social Darwinism
Teen Poetry #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic Social Darwinism Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas

0 posted 2000-11-01 08:07 PM

I've felt your aching loneliness
Your angst and your ennui
And your deep depression about
What your life could be

But, yanno, I think I've had enough
Of listening to your myriad woes
Ranging from your loneliness
To the present state of your clothes

You say you'll overdose on pills
You threaten me with that?
Why, I've half the mind to get you some
Then knock your silly self flat

I know you have a frail li'l soul
And you don't know how to cope
Do you think you'll find the answer
On the business end of a rope?

Look, Life ain't easy, it's rather hard
It's rarely peaches 'n creme
And if you opt for suicide
You void out all your dreams

It's your choice if you wanna go
Make the world a happier place
Make the Social Darwin list
Improve the Human Race

Yeah, I'm calloused, cold and harsh
But, I don't think you'll try
For if you act on a suicide poem
You'll never see a reply

Alicat

[This message has been edited by Alicat (edited 11-01-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Alastair Adamson - All Rights Reserved
Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~
1 posted 2000-11-01 09:16 PM

Alicat~
I think you got the message out loud and clear. At least I heard it or read it. Sometimes people think that suicide is the best answer but really its not. Thanks for sharing this with us.

~*Love is sometimes like a rose. Beautiful in the beginning but dies in the end.*~

wayoutwalt
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 4870
TEXAS (it's all big)
2 posted 2000-11-01 11:51 PM

this is great Cat you are the one to tell them that cryin aint the way to get it done wait don't do it thats what i meant but yuh cryin to get attention isnt cool but i'm not yur daddy. great poem should be read by all and suicide is not something people should lightly write about if its heavy writing or not.  
Rodeo Jones
since 2000-01-01
Posts 18
San Jose, CA, USA
3 posted 2000-11-02 01:43 AM

I liked this poem, but I think I disagree with the message.  I think that suicide is a fine way to go if it is thought through rationally and life isn't worth the effort.  So for those of you suicide-heads out there...I guess I'd say don't be rash.  Yeeah.

"Where is fancy bread, in the heart, or in the head?"

Lakewalker
Member Elite
since 2000-08-05
Posts 3289
On the streets w/ people
4 posted 2000-11-02 03:42 PM

Ok, who put you up to posting this in the teen forum???   Yeah, I suppose teens can be very dramatic with words about this subject.  I pretty much agree with your poem though, I hope a lot of people read this one.

"Disagreements stimulate thought, thought stimulates action, and action stimulates life." --Me!!

peanogrl83
since 1999-12-04
Posts 202

5 posted 2000-11-02 05:02 PM

Wonderful! Pure brilliance with a witty underbite. ;.) Indeed, I have dealt with a few individuals like this in my time, it is quite frustrating, as I'm sure you know.  So, I'm going to tuck this poem back (that is, if you don't mind), for use on a rainy day!

Vreni

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
6 posted 2000-11-02 06:53 PM

Hey this was great. The social darwinism thing about weaker individuals just dying out for the stronger race to prevail. Supposedly he was one of the causes for the phsychological out come of Hitler's track of mind. Along with Neitche and a few other philosophers......but anyway....great job, I liked it a lot. The wit is what impressed me the most though. I love wit...and wit loves me......it loves you too...

"I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust."

I hate your socks. I'd like to burn them!

Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
7 posted 2000-11-02 09:23 PM

Awesome Alicat!  Couldn't have said it better myself...suicide is not the answer, no matter how dark things seem.  Thanks for posting!  

*Krista Knutson*

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar."
Helen Keller

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
8 posted 2000-11-02 09:31 PM

ERIN: Thank you most kindly for the reply. Personally, I feel that suicide has a place, but only for extreme medical situations for the easement of physical pain. But, that's just my view.

WoW: I hear ya...thanks for taking the time to read, yuh yuh.

Rodeo Jones: It's ok to disagree...personal differences make the world go 'round. Like I said to ERIN, I think it has a time and place, but should never be made in haste, especially by the young who, by and large, do not know the repurcusions of their actions. But, I digress. Anything more said would have to wait for either the Alley or the Philosophy Forum (aka Discussion).

Lakewalker: Well...I kinda put myself up to it. This is the edited version, as the original was deemed too harsh for these forums. I made sure to run it by another Moderator before posting. Thanks for the reply.  

Peanogrl83:   Thanky ma'am for stopping by, and also for the 'bump'.

Dopey_Dope: *grin* Well, I've always heard Social Darwinism as not being the strong vs the weak, but more about silly people dying by suicide, accident, or by bad choices or actions, like say: A burglur tried to rob a bank by cutting a hole around the safe. The safe fell through and crushed him. That's what I mean by Social Darwinism...I guess I could also see it as a personal decision to cull stupidity out of the human race.  

Alwye: You must've posted while I was posting and talking to my sis over MSM, and chatting with two people over ICQ.   Thanky for the reply, and I have to agree with you too.  

[This message has been edited by Alicat (edited 11-02-2000).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #3 » Social Darwinism

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary