navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #2 » The Lost Girls
Dark Poetry #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Lost Girls Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone

0 posted 2000-07-04 10:26 AM

We are the lost girls,
my generation.
Some of us were mothers before we were women,
some of us studied and learned,
some of us did what we could to escape reality.
We were all looking for the same thing.
A man, a home, a family.
And we knew we would find it.
We grew up with June Cleaver as a role model,
with a little Lucy Ricardo on the side.
Remember Ricky Nelson sang Travelin Man?
If you remember the words, let me ask you this?
Why did we idolize him?
Yes, we were taught to need a man,
at whatever cost endured.
We had our destiny
firmly established, written in stone.
Midway through our youth, life abruptly changed.
New messages loudly proclaimed.
We should be independent, we did not need a man,
we were no ones slave.
But what about the plan?
It started to make sense after awhile.
Sure, we knew we had brains, we were more than a pretty package.
We knew we could make it alone.
Or did we?
Suddenly June looked far too submissive,
Lucy looked foolish.
And why did she always want a job anyway, when it was such a disaster?
Would we have that same problem?
We started striving to achieve,
we left behind some perfectly good relationships
during this time.
And somewhere along the way
we got lost.
The first half of us was still in the beginning, and the rest of us was trying to move on.
We are still schizophrenic in our needs.
Whichever way we go, it's not quite right.
We got lost in the rhetoric.
Perhaps our Moms were right-
then again, maybe our daughters.
We are the lost girls,
and we can never
find our way home.

© Copyright 2000 Sandra - All Rights Reserved
Deborah1
since 2000-06-22
Posts 653
New Hampshire
1 posted 2000-07-04 11:56 AM

Oh Catalina thismakes me admit....Im old-fashioned when it works for me.Oh no did I just say that??? I think little mix is nice, I do give back what I recieve..By the way I loved this alot was said here
Hardrock
since 2000-02-14
Posts 948
New Hampshire, USA
2 posted 2000-07-04 12:03 PM

So direct, succinct, accurate....I'm not a woman, but I'm of that generation.  I understand...I got to watch it all.  Great work, Sandra.   Hardrock
SpitFire
Member Elite
since 2000-04-19
Posts 2396

3 posted 2000-07-04 07:16 PM

~Although I'm only 24 I do remember June Cleaver and Lucy,...but mostly from reruns on the tv.  Anyway,...I got the point and felt this poem.  You've done an incredible job helping me see things here.  I really enjoyed reading this.  One particular line that I'd like to point out that just is sticking in my head is this....We are still schizophrenic in our needs.
WoW!!!  Thanks for sharing. *Peace.

Isis
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-06
Posts 6296
Sunny Queensland
4 posted 2000-07-04 08:21 PM

Yes perhaps we are all more like Ally McBeal than we like to admit.  We sit back and say she is pathetic etc, but sometimes there is a resemblence we can all see!!  This was a wonderful contemplation hon.
We were raised to believe we need a man, tis true, but our generation, and our children, will be raised to think they can make it on their own and love is a bonus sort of thing.
Great work  

I'll tell you this...... No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.....
~Isis~
(Goddess - Sovereign of the Spirit)

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
5 posted 2000-07-04 09:36 PM

Wow, very well said!  A clever, creative and sadly true piece!  Although I am only 21, I completely agree with your views.  

Take care,
Melissa Honeybee

The beauty of poetry gives me wings to fly

Jeremiah Johnson
since 2000-06-08
Posts 1223
Brooksville, Fl, U.S
6 posted 2000-07-05 01:06 AM

yes very well said i don't know how much that means to you cause i'm only 17 but i'm wiser than my age. ASK Hardrock. well i enjoyd this very much and its very ecpressive and to the point and the point you make so clear.

I'm a dying romantic and when i can no longer write i can no longer live -Jeremiah Johnson-

athena4
since 2000-12-10
Posts 622

7 posted 2000-12-10 09:40 PM

This one really touched me, as I am also a "lost girl".  Here's to wishing that all the "lost girls" find their way home.  Especially you...
          Elise

Victoria
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-08-12
Posts 5869

8 posted 2000-12-11 04:24 PM

shame we cant pick the generation we are born in..times change..but lets face it..june and lucy made alot of money dressed in those house dresses... enjoyed sandra

~Victoria~

A poem is never finished, only abandoned.
- Paul Valery (1871-1945)

Lady Lost
since 2000-07-13
Posts 470

9 posted 2000-12-12 07:06 AM

Jeez Sandra!  It's been awhile since I have read your poems and I am reading all three of these at once...

This one particularly caught my attention because it is so true...  Sociecty started to change so much after June had her kids...women were burning their bras screaming for liberation, they began climbing the corporate ladder, throwing their babies in institutions (day care) so that they could be equal, most had to in order to feed their kids...but most just did it for the Benz.  And while we watch this vicious circle spin....where are those moms while their latch key kids are building bombs in the garage or bringing guns to school?  I think that soon there will be a whole new generation of adults who will be angry as hell about being "forgotten" because of that liberation women so desperatly seeked....  I suppose what goes around comes around, hopefully someday there will be a balance.

Great post!

...beth

"I mean that loving you is strange and adored by me throughout..oh no it's you again, blessing you with every kiss..."

Swamp¤Faeryie
since 2000-12-04
Posts 393
fairyland....of course;)
10 posted 2000-12-13 12:20 PM

my mother was a lost girl and she taught me not to be. Bravo for a well written poem and a meaningful observation. Maybe the lost girls stay lost,but they teach their daughters never to be,so maybe it's for the best AND the worst.Great poem.

sam

"Though thy crest be shorn and shaven,thou "i said" art sure no craven." Ghastly grim and ancient raven,wandering from the nightly shore,tell me what

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #2 » The Lost Girls

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary