navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #9 » insert title here
Open Poetry #9
Post A Reply Post New Topic insert title here Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland

0 posted 2000-08-30 06:05 PM

For reasons both logical and not so logical this poem has no title nor does it wished to be named. Please select a title of your own choice.

Special thanks to Ketry for the first two lines
this poem is posted as a response to my inspiration challenge thread ( that does not make this a doulbe thread though, does it? sorry if it does.)

======================

Darkness surrounds me, all is lost
up to this fragile sky I'm tossed,
to and fro and over in violence current,
emotions challenge high in winter torrent.
My arms are stretched towards the skies
Does the God not hear my cries?
"Peace at least," I scream I plead
I have been the victim, oh how I bleed
beneath the waters of my bathtub,
phantom infant kicks inside,
little unplanted baby sharpens his knife
wars are waged upon me, by the men
always with authority again and again
soldiers march on me,
I am the rape victim
of the rubble,
the nun chained
to the missile,
the mother who birthed a thousand killers,
and fertilised the flowers bound
as the wreaths of Hiroshima.
First world power supremacy,
I am democracy
the beggar with child
dead eyed heroin junkie.
This is a confession
of nothing of importance.
I am million loose ends on
the hanging noose,
the kick that throws
the chair
and forces life to black.
In this dead time I am that single
glimmer of hopeā€¦that tiny voice
that says no.

"I concede relationships have left me weak Won't be here so I don't care Look for something worthy to replace my guilt" Mansun legacy

© Copyright 2000 brian madden - All Rights Reserved
Lost Dreamer
Member Elite
since 1999-06-20
Posts 2464
Somewhere near the Rainbow
1 posted 2000-08-30 06:31 PM

Brian, Again you amaze me with your talent. This poem speaks volumes and with such a tiny voice. I would title this poem "That Tiny Voice" if I were to choose. You did well here Brian I love it.
Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
2 posted 2000-08-30 06:46 PM

So do you come as a cricket?LOL....EXCEELENT  writing here Brian.  I enjoy your style greatly and I must say I have to read them slower than most as your depth is outstanding.  You have a pure talent.
poutprincess
since 2000-07-06
Posts 735
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 posted 2000-08-31 07:54 AM

would like to say to Kethry, great first lines!!
as for the rest of this:

"i have been the victim,oh how i bleed
beneath the waters of my bathtub
phantom infant kicks inside,
little unplanted baby sharpens his knife
wars are waged upon me,by the men
always with authority again and again"

these lines stood out most to me....
just about too deep for me, but, i enjoyed every bit of it.
~Dawn

"Steady as it comes, right down to you, I've said it all, so maybe we're a Bliss of another kind" Bliss-Tori Amos

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
4 posted 2000-08-31 10:28 AM

brian--your poetry has such power...you have a fierce heart...loved the last lines!
Marina
Member Elite
since 2000-02-10
Posts 2245
Pickering, Ontario
5 posted 2000-08-31 11:34 AM

WOW! Brian, you have simply outdone yourself on this one!  Excellent writing my friend.  

Marina

It is a blessing to have wings for words, and passion in pen
Marina Crossley

Butterflies_dont_cry
Member Elite
since 2000-03-06
Posts 3733
Michigan
6 posted 2000-08-31 11:58 AM

Brian*
I've read this through several times...and I'm sure will read it again and again as it's going into my "library".  There is so much darkness and ache in this piece Brian...and then the glimmer of hope at the end....that small voice, so very hard to hear sometimes. Hugs my friend...this piece was very powerful and brought back many memories for me.....and now I will listen for the voice~ Incredible writing~

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
7 posted 2000-08-31 12:40 PM

Majestic ....

Okay here's a title:
Inserted: A glimmer of hope slicing surrounding dark

insert it if you want to, but with poetry like this who needs a name?  

regards,
sudhir

ladysixstring
since 2000-07-27
Posts 374

8 posted 2000-08-31 01:10 PM

The power of the pen at it's finest...
"I am democracy
the beggar with child
dead eyed heroin junkie.
This is a confession
of nothing of importance."  Wow!!!

-jaimie

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2000-08-31 10:09 PM

Great lines, lots to think about...challenge well met, I'd say!
Rosebud1229
since 2000-04-05
Posts 1813
North Carolina
10 posted 2000-08-31 11:57 PM

great poem , I can see the struggles that so often play with our unconciousness minds.
So often there is a deep inner struggle within that must come out, Are we our surroundings do we become part of our environment? are do we struggle to do the right things as we should. Does our conscious remind of our values. Loved this!

Jenn E
since 2000-08-02
Posts 589
Kelowna, BC, Canada
11 posted 2000-09-01 12:02 PM

This was so powerful and deep....the way you have written this has left me a bit stunned....your talent just pours out of this. WOW!
Jenn E

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
12 posted 2000-09-01 12:12 PM

Well, "Happy Days....the Lost Episodes" is out of the question.  

No, this poem doesn't need a title. It is so powerful none would do it justice....brilliant again

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
13 posted 2000-09-01 05:45 PM

Lost Dreamer, great title idea. I guess I see it as more than one voice in the poem,
In fact the reason for no title is that I think the poem has a certain quality and I did not want it to be tied down or associated with one thing.  Thanks for your very kind words.

Mark, cricket? Jimney Cricket? No I am fluffy, the rabid rabbit. Thank you for your very generous words.

Poutprincess, thanks for your reply.  

Martie, I guess my heart can be fierce when it wants to be, hear my roar..LOL.. thank you for your wonderful reply.

Marina, all I can say is Thank you, my friend.

BDC, I agree that the tiny voice is often lost in the chaos but when we do listen it calls with such power.  Thank you.

Sudhir Iyer, I loved the title suggest and thank you my friend for brightening both my day and my ego with your wonderful reply.

Ladysixstring, all I can say is that these words mean so much to me, I accept them as humbly as I can. Thank you.

Sunshine, thank you. 

Rosebud1229, thank you for your thoughts and kind comments. I guess I feel a sense of general conflict within myself and with the world so it prevails my thoughts a lot.

Jenn E, thanks for your very generous words and the WOW. 

Balladeer, as the Fonze would say "HEH!" they are all happy days, just not when I write poetry. Is that comment a hint for me to lighten up, because you may not know this but I have a crazy sense of humour to balance my gloomy side out, he just does not write poetry. Thanks Balladeer for taking the time to read and reply.
< !signature-->

"I concede relationships have left me weak Won't be here so I don't care Look for something worthy to replace my guilt" Mansun legacy

[This message has been edited by brian madden (edited 09-03-2000).]

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
14 posted 2000-09-01 06:10 PM

I see what you mean about the title...so many good points that perhaps it could distract from the purpose of the poem...still I like "a confession".
but it is your poem and these are only my thoughts...James

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

15 posted 2000-09-01 07:10 PM

I liked the title---I think it lent to the "take it for what is stance of this poem"  very powerful---I love the little voice that says no...excellent work here.
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

16 posted 2000-09-01 08:43 PM

Keep writing, I need this kind of verse...the ending was as powerful, as was the entire piece.

Kathleen

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
17 posted 2000-09-01 09:55 PM

you are one of the finest writers on this site... and one of the finest writers i have read... anywhere... and that includes classics...

ok, so, i'm honest... so what?

you're good... and i'm proud to know you.
title? your title is wordsmith.

thank you for allowing me to read.  

~ all you can really ever expect out of life is a good apology and some decent poetry ~

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
18 posted 2000-09-02 02:46 PM

James, thanks for the title idea, the confession line was inspired by a line from the book "American Psycho" where the main character says "this confession has meant nothing." THanks for reading and replying.

serenity, sometimes the little voice has to speak up. THanks for your lovely reply.

Kathleen, no fear of me giving up writing, it seems to be in my blood, it is an addiction LOL. Thanks for your wonderful reply.

Doreen, my ego just erupted, but just to clarify I am one of many fine writers at the site. I am completely bowled over by your words coming from a poet who I deeply admire and respect. I am off to find some humble pie.    

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #9 » insert title here

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary