navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #9 » Stranger Danger
Open Poetry #9
Post A Reply Post New Topic Stranger Danger Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Corinne
Member Ascendant
since 1999-10-28
Posts 5167
state of confusion

0 posted 2000-08-23 11:49 AM

Stranger Danger

We watch the news together
I won’t shield them from life
As much as I’d like to
But try to explain how lucky
this nine-year-old girl was
and how daring, to escape
the ankle chains of
the kidnapper’s taxi -
to have the presence of mind
To run, scream for help
after three days of terror
and sexual abuse.

What do kidnappers do with kids?
They sometimes kill them
I answer,
but I have no answers why.

We talk about our secret code word
And how bad people can look
Like the friendly neighbor next door
But what really scares me
Is how easily some sick pedophile
Could lure them away
With candy or a puppy
And there’s absolutely nothing
I can do
But to remind them
Again and again.

© Copyright 2000 Corinne - All Rights Reserved
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
1 posted 2000-08-23 12:11 PM

yeah.. if you really want to get my blood seething this is the topic for it....

intersting thought for a poem corrinne

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
2 posted 2000-08-23 12:17 PM

And I will do so myself... remind one and all that I can about the horrors of this (un)social disease...

Kudos to you Corinne, and thanks too for sharing and speaking against the very commonly seen terror of this life...

My regards,
sudhir

Parker
Member Elite
since 2000-01-06
Posts 3129
ON
3 posted 2000-08-23 12:48 PM

Corinne, a very timely piece. I see so many kids alone walking. These sic individuals don't have to try very hard if we don't teach and protect our own.
This is a good reminder to that end.

Parker

ladysixstring
since 2000-07-27
Posts 374

4 posted 2000-08-23 12:55 PM

As a mother of two absolutely sweet beautiful litle girls, this too, is a fear of mine.  Excelent writing here!!

Did you see the report on 20/20 a few years back about how easy it is to lure kids?  They had parents agree to sit on benches while their children played on the playground. Cameras were set up to catch the parent's reactions (and tears) as actors lured the children one by one off the playground.  Each child had been warned time and time again about strangers and lures... but when it comes down to it... lures, more times than not, work no matter how well we train our kids.  Scarry!!!< !signature-->

-jaimie

[This message has been edited by ladysixstring (edited 08-23-2000).]

Corinne
Member Ascendant
since 1999-10-28
Posts 5167
state of confusion
5 posted 2000-08-23 06:06 PM

Thanks, Local Rebel, it has been on my mind lately, a rash of disappearing little girls here in northern california and one daring escape.

Thanks, Sudhir.

Yes, Park, I don't let mine walk home alone (plus we have no sidewalks in this neck of the woods)- maybe when they are 18!  (S)

yes, Ladysixstring, I saw that, one of the lures was a puppy, that's what makes it so very frustrating.  I saw another show that said it isn't enough to talk to them, that you have to role play to have them understand.

Corinne

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
6 posted 2000-08-23 06:19 PM

Corinne, I wish we knew what caused people to do such terrible things, it is sickening, the darker side of humanity. THank you for highlighting this. excellently written very thought provoking.

"Beyond all this good is the terror,The grip of a mercenary hand,When savagery turns all good reason, There's no turning back, no last stand,"I.Curtis

Corinne
Member Ascendant
since 1999-10-28
Posts 5167
state of confusion
7 posted 2000-08-23 10:11 PM

Thank you for reading and commenting Brian. Not a very popular subject, but an important one to keep out in the open, especially with our kids.

Corinne

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #9 » Stranger Danger

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary