navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #9 » Disappointed
Open Poetry #9
Post A Reply Post New Topic Disappointed Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ggrn3
since 2000-08-17
Posts 433
Nahunta Georgia U.S.

0 posted 2000-08-22 06:09 PM

Disappointed
By
Garfield Green

I've wrote several poems
All with minimal response
I'm beginning to think
My poems are nothing but junk.

I must admit that
I'm not as talented as you guys
I love reading your poetry
But I feel that mine is despised.

If I was like Sudhir
And could write a poem in two minutes
Maybe I would get some responses
And get to read plenty.

But I'm an average Joe
And talent doesn't ooze from my pen
I will continue to read everyone's poetry
But I don't think I'll post any of mine again.

Oh, don't get me wrong
I'm not mad at anyone in this joint
But judging from my last few post
In my eyes, I disappoint.

Garfield

© Copyright 2000 Garfield Green III - All Rights Reserved
RobertB
since 1999-09-26
Posts 1104
Champaign, IL
1 posted 2000-08-22 06:13 PM

Maybe you try too hard??

Let it flow...do not try to force rhymes when they do not come.

And never ever EXPECT people to read and comment or even like what you write.

I can give the URL of a poetry group that would eat you alive.

Keep reading...that is the best advice. Your own.

Robert

if you can dream; you can fly...if you are flying; you are dreaming.

ggrn3
since 2000-08-17
Posts 433
Nahunta Georgia U.S.
2 posted 2000-08-22 06:31 PM

Thanks Robert
It's not that I try to hard, most of my poetry was written long ago and I haven't had anyone to share it with besides my wife.  It's somewhat of a hobby of mine and my wife wanted me to get back into it.  I didn't think it was very good then but she liked just about all I wrote.  We found this Web site and she encouraged me to post some of my writings here. I edited a few old poems and created a few new poems, but my responses seem to indicate that I was right about them not being very good.  But I do appreciate your response.  Thanks again.

Garfield

RobertB
since 1999-09-26
Posts 1104
Champaign, IL
3 posted 2000-08-22 07:04 PM

That's OK Garfield.....

One more piece of advice that is free and unsolicited:

Never trust a spouse when it comes to praise of one's poetry!

Unless of course you are married to Jane Kenyon.

Robert

PS: Keep writing and reading....and remember..if you are happy with it, who cares what anyone says or doesn't say.

if you can dream; you can fly...if you are flying; you are dreaming.

Meadowmuse
Member Elite
since 1999-12-27
Posts 3263

4 posted 2000-08-22 07:11 PM

Garfield, I hope you'll stay and share more of your work. Listen, I don't write nearly as much as most of these folks here, maybe one or two poems a week, as I'm not a "real" poet, just a person who enjoys playing around with word and thought. There are SO many people in this group, and more, it seems, every day, so it just takes a little while to get your momentum going as far as replies are concerned. True, we cannot all be as gifted as Mike, or Liz, or Martie or Marge, but Passions isn't necessarily about that...it's about having a voice...and sharing it with others. As you read more, write more and post more, your poetic voice will grow and flourish, and you will feel more at ease about your work, I believe, whether you recieve two replies or twenty. Please don't give up writing because of a busy website. You have much to say, my friend, and I want to hear it.  

Take care,
Claire

Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?......Henry David Thoreau

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
5 posted 2000-08-22 07:33 PM

Hi, I just wanted to tell you I have been feeling the exact same way. Earlier today I was thinking seriously about not posting anymore, as it seems so few people like it. But then I got a few nice messages, the nicest which was from you. So I guess maybe I will carry on for a bit longer. Thanks to your support. I see some absolute genius poets here, but then again, we can't all be the same. I think your poetry is very nice, and has a place here as well as anyones. And I have to disagree with the one who said never trust a spouse on your poetry. Well, if someone knows you well, and sees you in your writing that is a big compliment, and I don't think it is negated at all because you are married to her. So, that is my humble opinion. And I hope you stay and keep writing.
Take care
Catalinamoon

Words are things, and a small drop of ink, falling, like dew, upon a thought produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions think.
Lord Byron

American Princess
since 2000-08-21
Posts 49
USA
6 posted 2000-08-22 08:13 PM

ggrn3,

I've read your work and like it very much.  Just today I found a poem by Sunny1 on page 2.  Her responses were "0."  I replied on it and sent it back to the front page for others to enjoy.  Sunny1 has been here for a good bit.  I've only been here 6 months and for most of those months I couldn't even get in here to post a poem.  It's not always about how good or not good a person's writing is.  It's more about what they have to say when they do post.  We've all got something to say and I do hope you'll continue to post your poetry, because I, for one, would like to know what it is you have to say, my friend.  Take care and please don't feel discouraged.

RobertB
since 1999-09-26
Posts 1104
Champaign, IL
7 posted 2000-08-22 08:31 PM

} to catalinamoon I am and was being sarcastic with the comment about not paying attention to a spouse's praise.

I was trying to convey that they may be prejudiced when it comes to an honest critique. Personally, I NEVER show my poetry to my wife....only after I am satisfied with it do I ever let her read it.

Robert

ladysixstring
since 2000-07-27
Posts 374

8 posted 2000-08-22 08:32 PM

Disappointed?  Disappointed is what we will all be if you stop posting!!!!!!  It's so hard keeping up with all of the post - I try to pick the ones with 3 or less responses to help everyone get some feedback... but it's not easy getting them all.  

I once received an email from a  "professional" poet who visited my work on a poetry site I used to run.  It was posted under another name... so she didn't know it was me she was insulting. Anyhow, she said that the "writer's" work was too full of clichés and that the "writer" was obviously very young - after she experinced life a bit more... her writing would improve.  

Well, on the one hand I was offended, of course... on the other... if you read her work it would be all you could do not to regurgitate her undigestible words flinging them far enough away that you wouldn't be offended by the stinch left behind.

Okay, maybe I'm bitter... but it taught me that good poetry really is a matter of "opinion".  In my opinion... you should KEEP WRITING!!

-jaimie

ladysixstring
since 2000-07-27
Posts 374

9 posted 2000-08-22 08:45 PM

I'd also like to add... my biggest fan is also my spouse.  As wonderful as it is to be married to someone who appreciates your talent... it's hard to base your opinion of your work solely on the praises of someone who has seen you naked.  In this case though, your wife knew what she was doing when she encouraged you to start posting here.

-jaimie

Tennessee Angel
since 2000-06-03
Posts 661
Tennessee
10 posted 2000-08-22 08:55 PM

Oh my, you really hit me between the eyes with this.  I am so bad about reading a poem by somebody, thoroughly enjoying it, and then moving on to read another.  I have so little time on here that I try to read as many as I can and in the process I fail to respond to some very good posts.  You have written some excellent pieces, one of which I actually printed out.  Also, you have taken the time to respond to several of the pieces that I post and in all your responses you were so kind.  Many a time I've posted something here and wondered why only one or two responded, but it doesn't matter!  I write for me.  It makes me feel good to produce something that I can say came from me.  Yes, when Balladeer or Marge validate something I've written it feels good.  And when they don't...it still feels good.  You are a true poet even if only in the eyes of you and one Tennessee nobody.  Don't stop posting.

--You can either take me as I am...or you can watch me as I go.--

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
11 posted 2000-08-22 09:05 PM

I've only seen 2 of your posts, this being the second... i believe i responded to the first one, as well, but don't remember... there are so many people posting here... if i didn't respond, please know that you were read. Also, please know that MANY times people read your work but don't respond. That doesn't mean anytihng negative about your poetry... it only means that maybe they didn't know exactly what to say at the time.

This is a VERY large community and it is growing every day. Nobody can read all the posts... there just isn't enough time in the day. From what i've read here, your work is wonderful and you speak your heart with your pen... the makings of a fine poet... and I agree with what some of the others said in this thread, that whether you like a poem or not is simply a matter of taste...

as in any poetry posting bulletin board on the web, it's good to respond to others in order to get your name out so that people recognize it. I would suggest responding to at least 5 poems every time you post one. That way, when you post something, those who you have responded to, will recognize your name and will be more likely to read you. Given the size of this community, people get to know the poets they read, not everybody... and tend to gravitate toward reading those poets who they have enjoyed in the past...and, like i said, it's virtually impossible to read every post...

soooooo.... read, respond, and don't stop posting... this is a very wonderful group of people with a wide range of styles and tastes... the more you read and respond, the more your posts will be read and i am VERY certain, that you will meld here and enjoy it here and begin getting many more responses if you do so.

don't stop writing. don't stop posting!!!

-doreen

ggrn3
since 2000-08-17
Posts 433
Nahunta Georgia U.S.
12 posted 2000-08-22 10:38 PM

Robert.B
  Thanks again for the encouragement. also my wife is hard to please.  I have had to edit quite a few before I received her approval.

Claire
  Thanks for your encouragement.  I know that this is a busy web site. As busy as it is though, I thought that a person would receive a few more comments, good or bad.  
Again thanks for the encouragement.  I will take some time to think about posting in the near future.  Maybe I will soon, if I think the poem is good enough.

Catalinamoon,
  Thanks for your encouraging words.  Also it's very easy to respond to your work. It's just good reading to me.

American Princess
  Thank you. You are very encouraging.  You also just made me reflect on some of the posting that I've seen. Again thank you.

Ladysixstring
  A professional poet huh...Thank you so much for your encouraging statements. I guess it is in the eye of the beholder as to whether or not someone's poetry is good.  Thank you for responding.
By the way, your work is excellent. I'm always impressed when I read one of your pieces.

Garfield

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
13 posted 2000-08-22 10:45 PM

Garfield, this place goes really really fast!!! I've read poem after poem after poem...back into the archives, back to the back pages...to the front, in the middle...I feel like you do sometimes too...some get lost in the multitude...please don't be disappointed, or lose hope. It's a family of friends here...and you're a part of this as much as everyone else. I don't judge or jump to conclusions, or treat anyone better than any other...I think we would all agree.

Keep writing, if a poem goes to the back, send it back up front...we might have just missed it.

Rosebud1229
since 2000-04-05
Posts 1813
North Carolina
14 posted 2000-08-22 11:21 PM

Don't be disappointed were here! sometimes were so busy writing we don't get time to respond like we should. As for me I just write doesn't matter how few I know that I just enjoy writing, and maybe I to will get better as time goes by. We all have a common
bond we love poetry. Continue please..

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
15 posted 2000-08-23 12:00 PM

Garfield, I'll try to be as frank and honest as I can without being unkind...because this is not a place where unkindness has a place. First of all, ANYONE who tries to write poetry deserves respect. Anyone who sits down with a blank piece of paper in front of them and fills it with thoughts from their mind to share with others is a worthy person. The main thing you have to ask yourself is - why do you post your poetry? Do you post it to see your own creation there on the screen? If so, then it doesn't matter how many responses you get. No, I think probably you post as many others do...to be an active part of the group and to get recognition from your fellow poets. That is a natural way to feel. If you are not getting the responses, what then?? Could it be personal? Hardly. You are a good man who responds to other poets in a positive way and that's all anyone here knows about you so it can't be personal. Could it be the quality of your poetry or imagination? and, if it is, what do you want to do about it? If you are the type of person (and I don't think you are) who expects immediate responses and recognition no matter what you post, then you are going to be very disappointed - here or anywhere. If you want to write poetry that people will respond easily to there are a number of things you can do. First you can study the poems and styles and thoughts of poems that do get many responses and learn by them. Second, you can submit poems to our very able moderators in Critical Analysis to discover weaknesses you may have that you can work on.  Third, we are blessed here to have many poets who go out of their way to help other poets. Don't be shy about asking for a little help. My door is always open to you and I can rattle off a long list of poets who are privately working with other poets to help them fine-tune their abilities. I have never been associated with an organization with so many people willing to extend the hand of friendship and help others as we have here at Passions.
    So it's all up to you. Expect the undeserved and continue to be disappointed, throw up your hands and say it's too much work and give it up or decide that you really do have a desire to write and you do want to improve and take advantage of any help we have to offer. You already ARE a poet because you write...the level of poet you are, or become, depends on the effort you are willing to put in to fine-tune and sharpen the mechanics of the trade. So cut and run or stick around. Personally, I hope you choose the latter  

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
16 posted 2000-08-23 01:21 PM

Parker
Member Elite
since 2000-01-06
Posts 3129
ON
17 posted 2000-08-23 02:53 PM

Garfield, .... hoping that's your name.  
Don't give up, keep posting, post what's in your heart, post your thoughts, reply, reply and always be kind, or cute, or funny, or insanely odd, (like walt). get your name around. Everybody loves hearing what people have to say about their poetry, but like me I don't always know what to say. So I just say nice words even if I don't understand the whole meaning of the poem, or any of it.
This place is getting really crowded and its seems harder and harder to keep up with the new names, or more like impossible if you don't spend atleast two hours here a day, or are a super fast speed reader....  
But don't give up, this is the kindest place on the net, compared to others I've been to. We won't put you down but we will read even if we don't respond. There are lots of really great people here, so stay and get involved.  

Parker

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
18 posted 2000-08-23 03:20 PM

you didn't reply to my reply when you replied to all the other replies!!! *boohoo*... hehe... just kidding *wink*  
ggrn3
since 2000-08-17
Posts 433
Nahunta Georgia U.S.
19 posted 2000-08-23 09:31 PM

Doreen
  When you were responding, I must have been replying to the others because I noticed it shortly after I entered my replies.  Your right, it is a very large community. I just thought in a community as large as this one, people would respond more often to works posted.  I see that I was wrong, but I see that others are reading.  I now understand why they do not respond to each and every poem.
Thanks for your encouraging words.

P.Shadows
  Your right about this community really going fast.  As soon as you read one and respond, there have been 3 or 4 more posted.  I now understand why it's hard to respond to each and every ones poem, even though I try.
Thanks for your encouraging words.

Rosebud
  Your right, we do all have a common bond in poetry.  I love it, and its a hobby of mine. I really appreciate your encouraging words and I believe that I will continue to post.  I just hope that they are worth reading.

Mr. Deer
  You are a wise man and a excellent poet. I understand your response and I accept my part in misunderstanding this community.  I now realize that many here in this community have favorites and it may take some time for me to be recognized as such.  I'm going to have to grow as a poet and refine my talents so that my poetry is more pleasant both in form and reading.  Thank you for your response, it really helped me to understand about this site.
Thanks again.
By the way, I really enjoy reading your post.  They are often outrageous, and I can barely stop laughing when reading them.

Haleyja
  Yes, my real name is Garfield Green, believe it or not. It's a three generation name. I'm actually the third (III).  Haleyja, I thank you for your encouraging words.  I thought I would post this poem, get one or two responses and that would be it.  But you and the other poets here who have responded have been so encouraging that I do not think that I will stop posting.  But I will take some time to think about my next post.  Hopefully it will be received well.  If not, I will be proud of what I wrote and know & feel that what I have written was good.
Again, thanks for the encouragement.

Garfield

Paula Finn
Member Ascendant
since 2000-06-17
Posts 5546
missouri
20 posted 2000-08-28 08:25 AM

Garfield....like so many others here I say to you DONT GO. There are times when the words you write just touch so deeply that a reply cant be written. I read so many poems that just cut to the core and replying isnt an option for me...give us a chance to know you better and belive me I will look harder for you in the future ok?
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #9 » Disappointed

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary