navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #6 » Magic Little Pill
Open Poetry #6
Post A Reply Post New Topic Magic Little Pill Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mistikman
since 2000-01-10
Posts 682
San Jose, CA, USA

0 posted 2000-03-17 08:02 PM

Soon I shall be put on a magic little pill
One that is said to cure my mental ills
Until then I have precious little time
To put my dark emotions into rhyme

For after I down that magic little pill
Life will be filled with joyous thrill
No more this feeling of unending pain
They say I'll be just a little more sane

But to this pill there is one other side
Emotions of darkness shall forever hide
I draw forth on these when I write of life
No more shall you hear of my daily strife

Even now, I am feeling some remorse
I am going to be losing my driving force
Darkness has become a vile friend
Upon which I have learned to depend

This pill is here to kill a part of me
A part that imprisoned yet made me free
Magic little pill that will make me whole
While ripping in me a gaping hole

[This message has been edited by Mistikman (edited 03-18-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Travis Welton - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2000-03-17 08:48 PM

Good poem, sir. I don't think you have to worry about this..your inspiration runs deep, you'll find your way ....
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2000-03-17 08:55 PM

Mistikman, I understand:

They tried to give me magic pills--
how i did protest!
I told them I've good reason
to be this damned depressed.

And no, it is not comical,
to rely on moods so chemical;
but if it's feeling i'll be losing,
they'll be the ones of my own choosing!

i do relate and agree with you here...good luck to you on this St. Pat's Day

Mistikman
since 2000-01-10
Posts 682
San Jose, CA, USA
3 posted 2000-03-17 09:24 PM

Poet deVine- I sure hope so... Thanks.

Serenity- Well, the pills were my choice, not anothers. I am anxious about the fact that the feelings I have had all my life will be going away somewhat, but I have lived with the pain long enough, and it is time to deal with it. I hope that my writing ability doesnt suffer, but I have heard from 2 separate people who went through this that it did indeed change their writing. Thanks for reading

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
4 posted 2000-03-17 09:50 PM

Hey buddy, change isn't always a bad thing ya know! Devine's right, you'll find a way, I don't think it will take away everything, just help you to cope better.  

Excellent work, and the best of luck to you!

INclan
since 1999-07-20
Posts 1024
Indiana, USA
5 posted 2000-03-17 10:09 PM

Nicely done.  I hope all goes well for you.  I also hope that you have been keeping hard copies of your work to date.  I enjoy going back and re-reading from time to time.  It reminds me of where I came from.

INclan

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
6 posted 2000-03-17 10:09 PM

Travis hun, if this is what you need to deal then I hope it works. If you need me to talk to just give me a shout ok? I also agree with PdV, you will find a way.  
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
7 posted 2000-03-17 10:22 PM

I hope so too!
Great way to express yourself!

wayoutwalt
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 4870
TEXAS (it's all big)
8 posted 2000-03-18 03:41 AM

woah this is awesome i wrote a poem called purple pill and it didnt convey what i was feeling like your does i am impressed and i love it and yuh i know what oyu are saying completely!
Mistikman
since 2000-01-10
Posts 682
San Jose, CA, USA
9 posted 2000-03-18 01:08 PM

WhtDove- I sure hope so. Thanks.

INclan- yep, got hard copies plus copies on my hard drive. Im not gonna lose them  

Marilyn- Thanks.

Christopher- Thanks.

wayoutwalt- bahh, I am sure your poem was so much better than mine   You are just trying to flatter me. thanks walt  

I am not a poet, I am merely one who speaks in emotion

Meadowmuse
Member Elite
since 1999-12-27
Posts 3263

10 posted 2000-03-18 01:46 PM

Well, I'm not trying to flatter you, and I say this poem is GREAT!    And Mistik, I'm glad you're doing what YOU want to do by trying the meds. I can understand your apprehension, though you needn't necessarily lose "anything" of your writing, for you'll always be a creative, expressive soul. Who knows? Might even allow you to explore other venues of self expression. Just let it flow.

~ Claire

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

11 posted 2000-03-18 02:00 PM

Medications create different reactions in everybody. Try it out and then weight the benefits against the defecits and then you will be able to make a judgement that is right for you! Great poem!

Denise

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
12 posted 2000-03-18 03:58 PM

Look at it this way, now you can write infinately about your the dark side of taking this pill. And then you'll also have an infinate pool of joy to write about. Best of both worlds. I like your poem. Take a lot of pills, myself.
Liz

Mistikman
since 2000-01-10
Posts 682
San Jose, CA, USA
13 posted 2000-03-18 08:36 PM

Meadowmuse- Thanks- Its just gonna feel wierd not having the dark feelings inside me. While I will be happier after the meds, I kinda am loathing the fact that what makes me me is gonna be totally changed.

dsnyder- I plan on it. I may in the end choose not to continue taking the meds, who knows. Thanks for reading.

Elizabeth Santos- heh, cant have both infinite sorrow and infinite joy   It is very difficult for me to write about something I cannot experience. After I start on the meds, my dark side will go dormant, so any dark poetry I try to write will be lacking any emotion I put into my poetry. Thanks for reading.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
14 posted 2000-03-18 08:47 PM

I have written the best poetry of my life during the worst times of my life and, though I'm glad to have the poems to show for it, I would have preferred not to have had the experiences that made them possible. Perhaps in your after-dark, you may feel the same....and perhaps I have no idea what I'm talking about. Whatever happens, I wish you the best...
mariee66
since 2000-01-30
Posts 596
Recess, OfYourMind
15 posted 2000-03-18 09:57 PM

This was different~
I wasn't sure what to expect when I viewed the title~
Nicely done~

"Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind;
And therefore is wing'd Cupid painted blind." The Bard

Mistikman
since 2000-01-10
Posts 682
San Jose, CA, USA
16 posted 2000-03-19 12:54 PM

Balladeer- We shall see, I couldnt possibly imagine not having these feelings which seem to much a part of me. I will just have to take the pill and see what happens. Thanks for your support.

mariee66- Well thank you, I think  

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
17 posted 2000-03-19 01:40 PM

You share so much of yourself with this poem and it is so well done...I wish you the best.  My father and brother were both manic depressive, so I know a little of what you feel...I hope you find the joy!
mete out
since 2000-02-16
Posts 270
england
18 posted 2000-03-20 05:07 AM

***Mistikman,
This poem is fantastic!
I wrote a poem about the same subject, although I'm afraid to say yours puts mine to shame!
I'll try and dig it out and post it here.
Well done, I love this piece.
Keep your own thoughts in your head and you will still be you.    
xxx

I am not a preacher, I just speak the world as I see it.

christies heart
since 1999-08-10
Posts 189
NJ, USA
19 posted 2000-03-20 05:25 AM

mistikman...I also can relate to this feeling, yet have never thought to write about it. I think this choice, for me, was always a matter of compromise. There are some side effects to every medication....those in the "prozac, paxil zoloft"..ect. family can cause a bit of a numbing emotionally, or a lack of deep feelings. And it makes sense that writing or creativity in general can be changed. This did happen to me.I also found it annoying that even at a moive where I wanted to cry..I sometimes couldn't!! But the one thing that helped is the knowledge that the "pills" don't have to be forever. The darkness cannot be removed (or everyone would be signing up for that proceedure). It will still be there if someday you decide you really need to access it. In the meantime, try out the comedy within. It may feel good for a change to not feel like you HAVE to express pain!  
angel girl
since 1999-07-23
Posts 322
within a whisper...
20 posted 2000-03-20 07:20 AM

Been there, done that, still doing it. If you need to talk I'm right here. Just e-mail me.

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
-William Shakespeare

Mistikman
since 2000-01-10
Posts 682
San Jose, CA, USA
21 posted 2000-03-20 09:27 PM

Martie- Thank you, your support is well recieved.

mete out- Thank you, and I am sure yours is a lot better than you think. Many people tend to downgrade their own poetry in light of others(I dont personally think this one is great), so I am sure it is very good  

christies heart- Thank you, maybe these pills will unlock that comedy within, because I surely dont have one now, at least not one that entertains me.

angel girl- Thanks  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #6 » Magic Little Pill

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary