navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #5 » Drunken Tragedy
Open Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic Drunken Tragedy Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
HelmutB
since 2000-01-06
Posts 964
Canada

0 posted 2000-01-08 10:05 PM

This poem I wrote togehter with my dear friend Tori. With the intention to post it at High schools and MADD. So far it is posted at MADD London, Ontario. We shall continue.

Once Upon Time

Morning came. They always come
Drops of dew lined up one by one
There was nothing different from any other day
No one could predict what was on its way

The band of tar laid out in soil
No one could see the thin layer of oil
A car sped down so fast
The needle trembled it would ever last!

A driver young, careless and free
Behind the wheel but he did not see
His vision impaired, not yet awaken’
Hill after lucky hill the car had taken

Friends were sitting right beside
In drunken laughter on their homeward ride
With the thrill of speed deep in their eyes
How could they see or realize?

The last set of numbers reached by the needle
No warning, nor sign of evil
The car came flying high over the crest
Swirling out took away their breath

Their car forced into the other lane
The dice have fallen in this deadly game
The car crushed into the oncoming van
Rolling over and over again
Spinning out like tin can

Tires squealing shattered glass
Smoke and fire engulfed their pass
Nothing could defy the impact force
Both cars were taken out of course

No sound escaped from either car
The drive home went too far
All lives were gone, forever more
A widow left, such pain she bore

Her husband became a casualty
Four teenagers died, instantly
The child, the father she will never know
So much pain and only memories to show

Five lives were recklessly thrown away
Friends and family feel such dismay
Five graves lined up in single row
Hovering shadows of a mournful glow

Parents and siblings standing there
Nothing is left, but despair
Widow, …and child hardly grown
Now standing there, …alone

Five crucifix and flowers standing still
Mourners’ now are wondering, was this “His” will
Once upon a time and now five lives are gone
Be careful with yours, you have only one

Have we done all we can to educate?
Why do these things repeat?
Is there nothing we can say?
Is there not a better way?

© Helmut and Tori, Oct.1999

< !signature-->

The ability to describe life with words is similar to painting a picture; both can be powerful tools.  

[This message has been edited by HelmutB (edited 01-09-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Helmut Becker - All Rights Reserved
poetFemmeFatale
Member Elite
since 1999-07-25
Posts 2646
Arkansas
1 posted 2000-01-09 12:57 PM

This is a very powerful piece!  I'm glad to see you sharing it with others!  You two did a nice job on this!  Speaks volumes - I'm sending it back to the top in hopes more will read it!  Only one small suggestion, in the forums, the title is really what draws someone in to read a poem....I would have named this one something along the line of...."Drunken Tragedy"....or something to give the reader an idea of what it is....This is just too good to be hidden under a "neutral" title.  Does that make any sense?  There are sooo many poems that go through here, if you don't have something that will make the reader WANT to read it, often it goes by unnoticed!  This should be read by all !!!  Just a little suggestion - the poem is awesome though!  Keep up the good work you are doing!  I speak from experience on this topic of drinking & driving.  Sometimes it takes a tragedy to get people's attention, sad to say.  Welcome to the forums, hope to read more from you!   Gennifer

** I'm reaching for the brightest star I've ever seen - knock my ladder out from under me, and you'll wish you hadn't !! -pFF ** Here's to 2000!

CrazyChick
since 2000-01-05
Posts 132

2 posted 2000-01-09 01:09 AM

You did an excellent job writting this poem. I lost a best friend to a drinking and driving accident, it happens to often. This poem should be read by all. Great job!!!!!!!
HelmutB
since 2000-01-06
Posts 964
Canada
3 posted 2000-01-09 01:46 AM

poetFemmeFatale.
Thanks for your advise, you are right. Well I guess as a newbe I try to read them all. There are so many nice pieces there. I have yet so much to learn and I like what I have seen so far. PS: can i edit the posted piece?

CrazyChick
I'm sorry to hear. The account is based on facts. We all together might just make a difference.

Thanks you both for your kind words. I will sure let Tori know.

The ability to describe life with words is similar to painting a picture; both can be powerful tools.

Jer
since 1999-12-02
Posts 443
USA
4 posted 2000-01-09 01:47 AM

Wow..... all I can say is I echo the comments above.  I think Pff said it all.  I to hope all will read this poem as it has touched me.

HelmutB
since 2000-01-06
Posts 964
Canada
5 posted 2000-01-09 02:08 AM

Thank you Jer. As a Firefighter (judging by the picture) I'm sure you get to see this too often

Thanks again Pff, I have taken your advise and changed the subject line.

Jer
since 1999-12-02
Posts 443
USA
6 posted 2000-01-09 02:24 AM

Ahhhh.... so true. I see alot of horible things.  I'm a FireFighter/EMT. I see a ton of other medical stuff to.  But let me tell you one thing.  It's even worse to walk up to a car crash and know someone that has been hurt.  Scarry.  I have have it happen to me several times.  One time it was my own mom!
poetFemmeFatale
Member Elite
since 1999-07-25
Posts 2646
Arkansas
7 posted 2000-01-09 04:08 AM

Oh wow - I see you've changed it!  Very cool!  
I think you're probably the only person ever to take advise from me!  hehe  **blushing and quite honored!     Just joking...I do hope it helps catch the attention of more reader's though.  I'll make sure it stays afloat for you, ok?     Seriously, this is a very important issue to me too.  Great job again.

Lisa Graham-Marshall
since 1999-12-31
Posts 23
Nottingham. UK
8 posted 2000-01-09 06:30 AM

What a powerfull piece of writing.
Thank you for sharing it.

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
9 posted 2000-01-09 07:07 AM

I have seen these headlines too often and I have shed too many tears. I'm glad you wrote this piece
Liz

HelmutB
since 2000-01-06
Posts 964
Canada
10 posted 2000-01-09 08:56 AM

Poetfemmefatale
Thank you as I said before
For knocking on my upper door  
As man I never argue, no not with a femme
I lose it with mine now and then  
A Lady makes me feel so small
Especially when she is "Femme" and "Fatale"

I really do think your thought about the Title was right and that why I changed it.
Thanks again and forgive the small poem above, could not resist lol.

HelmutB
since 2000-01-06
Posts 964
Canada
11 posted 2000-01-09 09:03 AM

Jer
Elizabeth Santos
Lisa Graham-Marshall

Hope your mom was ok. Must be devestating to find her in an car accident.Thx Jer.

Elizabeth and Lise, Thx for your nice comments.

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
12 posted 2000-01-09 09:15 AM

Helmut...this is one that definately needs shared as I said the first time I read it.
Hey, you just joined and you're one step ahead of me already...I don't know how to change a title!!

HelmutB
since 2000-01-06
Posts 964
Canada
13 posted 2000-01-09 09:52 AM

Thanks Ruth
I don't think that I'm ahead of you, your one of my idol's. (hope is spelled this one right.)
It's that little icon in your header line, looks like a note pad with a pencil. The third from the left. That's where you can edit or delete the message. Hope this works for you.
Thanks for your comments, your poems are just as important.

poetFemmeFatale
Member Elite
since 1999-07-25
Posts 2646
Arkansas
14 posted 2000-01-09 04:15 PM

ROFL at Helmut - You are a funny one!  You need not fear this femmefatale, for my bark is far worse than my bite (most of the time...)  LOL  Depends if there's a full moon or not, and what kind of MOOD I'm in!  hahaha  Hey, I really liked the little poem you wrote for me up there!     Very sweet, and sorry if I make you feel small,  I have a feeling you're quite the opposite.     You have a big heart, and you're full of mischief!  I like that !  hehe

** I'm reaching for the brightest star I've ever seen - knock my ladder out from under me, and you'll wish you hadn't !! -pFF ** Here's to 2000!

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

15 posted 2000-01-09 06:30 PM

A true tragedy for sure. What will help? I have an idea but the cost would probably be prohibitive for the auto industry and thus to the comsumer but then again, what price is too much to save even one life. You know those attatchments that they place on the ignition of convicted drunk drivers in some  states with the breatholizer gadget? Sure some people would just have others start the car for them, but I'm sure it would cut down on the number of drunk drivers on the road. Not everyone would be able to convince such a 'friend' to do this for them. I think something like this should be on every car. I also think that driver's licenses shouldn't be given to anyone under the age of 18...not saying that there are not some 16 and 17 year olds mature enough to drive, but it would eliminate many of the immature drivers. Also, I think one DUI stop should cause a person to lose the privilege to drive for at least a year...driving is a privilege, not a right. Just some of my thoughts. Fabulous poem,  btw.

Denise

HelmutB
since 2000-01-06
Posts 964
Canada
16 posted 2000-01-09 07:14 PM

Poetfemmefatale
You’ve looked right through my cover up
Ripped it away with a single swap
Me…..mischievous, never would I dare Mam’
Not with a Poet like you “femme”
Yes you ripped away the disguise and said it all
Hope you like it “Poetfemmefatale”     
Thanks you again

I like your idea Denise, perhaps we could make a letter and send it to the big car makers. See what they have to say. Asking does not cost anything but time, but not asking cost perhaps some lives. I think we on to something here. At least we would make them think. Thanks for your input. < !signature-->

[This message has been edited by HelmutB (edited 01-10-2000).]

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
17 posted 2000-01-10 04:54 PM

Helmut!!!  I'm so glad to see you've figured out how to post - now I just need to find your other poems!

Congratulations on getting over your "condition" and joining this group - you will see what I mean about them being so generous and giving...

looking forward to many more pieces.

Sunshine
Look, then, into thine heart, and write ~~~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

HelmutB
since 2000-01-06
Posts 964
Canada
18 posted 2000-01-10 06:09 PM

It looks like you found them all Sunshine. There is more to come but I have a hard time keeping up with everything. I'm sure I will learn in time. My condition...well it's still there but it's getting a little bit better every day.
The people here are angles if i might add.
Thanks < !signature-->

[This message has been edited by HelmutB (edited 01-10-2000).]

SnglDad
since 2000-01-08
Posts 115
Seattle area
19 posted 2000-01-10 06:58 PM

This is one reason that we should all think twice about getting behind the wheel after
having a drink. Great work.
Thanx for sharing and God Bless

HelmutB
since 2000-01-06
Posts 964
Canada
20 posted 2000-01-11 06:10 AM

Yes you are right.
Hope we can make a difference
And they say never give up hope
Thank you SnglDad

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
21 posted 2000-01-11 07:30 PM

Helmut...this is such a sad reminder of what alcohol and/or drugs can do to people. The tragedy and the ripple effect is so tragic and NEEDLESS. I really enjoyed the way it was written and would hope that wakes some people up. Am sending it back to the top.

Poetry~ Words falling on paper, painting a dream.

Shawna R. Holder
Boise, Idaho

HelmutB
since 2000-01-06
Posts 964
Canada
22 posted 2000-01-11 08:25 PM

Thank you WildChild. I think that something can be done if we keep writing about it. Thanks for your kind words
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
23 posted 2005-04-16 05:27 PM

...speechless here
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
24 posted 2006-01-24 11:48 PM

I really enjoyed the effort you put into making this poem be heard - let's hope more read it.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #5 » Drunken Tragedy

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary