navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #5 » metal detector
Open Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic metal detector Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

0 posted 2000-01-15 03:25 AM

I had a lot of fun with this one. It actually came to me at work today, after someone showed me a political cartoon of a kid having to walk through a metal detector to talk to Santa. Somehow, the rhyme-y song of the poem was already in my head -- I quickly made a copy of the cartoon and wrote a poem all over it. As you can see, I was more interested in toying with rhythm and rhyme than the actual meaning of words. However, there is an underlying message in this. See if YOU can find it.  

Mike

-metal detector-
Metal detector, inspector of the genuflect confector. Vector of surrender for the three-pronged spectre. The center of adventure for the regional inspector. The sick and wily art of making you feel better.

Metal detector: "Offer up you rings, your coins, your keys,
Your damning heings."

Santa Claus is not waiting on the other side to give you back your toys. Pass through, all you criminals, you aging girls and boys.

Metal detector, love of hate's cold splendor. A monolith to regress the depressed -- forged untender; take it all back. A dimly aged light pushing your face to your back. A tall-standing pinnacle --
twin beams of lack.
A mainstay of relic-ed feeling
That will eventually make you crack.

© Copyright 2000 MPC - All Rights Reserved
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

1 posted 2000-01-15 03:28 AM

Of course, that word should be "beings." Passions

Mike

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

2 posted 2000-01-15 03:29 AM

(and, as a footnote, I made a tongue sticking out in the last message -- colon and p -- I have no idea why it says Passions there instead)
stephen j
since 2000-01-15
Posts 21

3 posted 2000-01-15 03:59 AM

i loved this poem beause one time on purpose i stuck a soda can in my coat pocket and went throught the airport detector and got caught
  stephen

stephen j
since 2000-01-15
Posts 21

4 posted 2000-01-15 04:06 AM

thanks this is stephen and i thank u for the tips i will use those
Rus Bowden
since 2000-01-13
Posts 139

5 posted 2000-01-15 04:58 PM

Hi Mike,

Love the rap beat of this against the metal...  Fun language play.

Rus

[This message has been edited by Rus Bowden (edited 01-15-2000).]

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

6 posted 2002-05-22 07:17 PM

Interesting story -- the idea for this poem came from a political cartoon about a kid needing to go through a metal detector to meet Santa. ......man, this old stuff is strange to me...

She said burn ... together.
-TON

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #5 » metal detector

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary