navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Collecting Good Reading
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Collecting Good Reading Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

0 posted 2006-08-21 08:56 AM

Dear PIP Friends

I am putting together a collection of books for future reading...extending my library so to speak...and was wondering if you all might want to suggest some good reading material.  

The unexplained & mysterious, thrillers are always a challenge and love of mine.  To venture beyond and outside of what is generally considered societies comfort zone.

I do hate romance novels...and I'm not a soap opera, shopping kinda gal...nor am I into blood and guts sci fi.  

Paranormal Sci Fi...is a love, as well as, mystery, etc.

To Give you a perspective, my Library Consists of books like...

Maury and Me
Yesterday's Love
Out of the Silent Planet
The Mothman Profacies
Dead On
Da Vinci Code
Legands of the Templar
Space Trilogy
Secret Life Of Bees
Birth of Venus
Speak
In the Cut
Motherless Brooklyn
The Kite Runner
The Terrorist
Secrets of the Tomb
Oryx & Crake
Love in the Time of Cholera
Winter Moon
Forever
Timeline
Lost Light
Cold Mountain
Book of Luminous Things
The Face
Body Farm
Digital Fortress
Holy Bood, Holy Grail
Lovely Bones

Many thanks for your time and suggestions

Lee J.

© Copyright 2006 Lee J. - All Rights Reserved
kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
1 posted 2006-08-21 11:03 AM

Hey  LeeJ-some good books you got there! Here's a few of my faves...at the top's got to be Chinua Achebe's *Things Fall Apart, a simple, poetic style that shows without simpering or raging.

*Michel Faber; Under The Skin

Naomi Klein; NO LOGO

Howard Marks; Mr. Nice

*Ishmael Reid; The Freelance Pallbearers

*Graeme Green; Brighton Rock.

Not exactly the paranormal, but the books marked with an asterisk are fiction. I like surreal fiction-realer than real, for example, Under The Skin is about a strange looking woman that travels in her car to pick up young male hitchikers...for gruesome purposes, but all is not as it seems. (You say no blood and guts-I say the same, but when I read Under The Skin, I was blown away. I think you'll like it.)

Enjoy your hunt!

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2006-08-21 11:07 AM

Thankee, lovey!

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

3 posted 2006-08-21 01:29 PM

Hey Kiffy, thanks so much for taking the time...I appreciate your suggestions and will take you up on them...I don't have any that you speak of...thanks a bunch!

Kari...my pleasure...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2006-08-21 01:32 PM

And don't forget about my pal Joey--

The entire "Masks of God" series is delicous.

XOx Uriah xOX
since 2006-02-11
Posts 1403
Virginia
5 posted 2006-08-21 01:55 PM

Ah   Holy Blood, Holy Grail    interesting
Dr. Gene Scott's teachings on Holy Blood, Holy Grail are quite interesting also.
Now... let me see...
I will try to think of some of my favorites.

Ask The Awakened (The Negative Way) by Wei Wu Wei

Meister Eckhart... from Whom God Hid Nothing

The Myth of Enlightenment  by Karl Renz

Talks with Ramana Maharshi

The Tao of Pooh   ::smiles::   (one of my all time favorites)

Lame Deer   Seeker of Visions

Breakfast of Champions  by Kurt Vonnegut
LOL

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
6 posted 2006-08-22 02:13 AM

LeeJ, some pretty good reading here....I'm going to save this thread myself for the references.  

Currently, I'm reading a really interesting book:  "Jesus the Man" (a new interpretation from the Dead Sea Scrolls) by Barbara Thiering -- very scholarly and very interesting!  

Don't laugh....also working on "Bringers of the Dawn" by Barbara Marciniak, and "The Pleadian Mission" by Randolph Winters, and "Uriel's Machine" by Christopher Knight & Robert Lomas.  

[This message has been edited by iliana (08-22-2006 02:44 AM).]

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
7 posted 2006-08-22 07:49 AM

Hey, Iliana! We really are soul sisters! Those books rock!!!

Lee, this is a great idea of yours! I am going to copy this thread as well! Some interesting reading in store for me!

I also adore every single book that both Sylvia Browne and Doreen Virtue writes! I'm addicted!

Loveya!
Linda

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
8 posted 2006-08-23 07:36 PM

Theophilus North by Thorton Wilder.
   A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
   The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher

I have a long list but these stand out in my mind as the best of the best. Good thread.
martyjo

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
9 posted 2006-08-23 07:51 PM

on the topic of books: Has anyone read a strange little book called:
The Singing Creek Where The WIllows Grow?
Diary of Opal Whiteley?

Supposed to be a true story of a young girl By the author of The Tao of Pooh  Benjamin Hoff. (Larry's pick). I found it fascinating when I read it about twenty years ago.

The Lady
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-12-26
Posts 7634
The Southwest
10 posted 2006-08-25 04:42 PM

Thanks for this LeeJ...

I have saved them all and
I have some favorites too.

Joan Didion, especially "A Year of Magical Thinking"
Alice Walker
Harry Crews
Richard Brautigan
definitely Frank Waters
John Irving
Bobbie Ann Mason
Truman Capote’s early works
"Life of Pl" by Yann Martel
Sue Monk Kidd’s, "The Mermaid Chair" (I see you already read The Secret Life of Bees)
"The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters" by Elisabeth Robinson
"Having Our Say" by the Delaney Sisters
Kurt Vonnegut
Rita Mae Brown
Robin Morgan
Elizabeth Nunez
Anne Tyler
Julia Alvarez
Carson McCullers
Zora Neale Hurston
Langston Hughes
Margaret Atwood, author of "Oryx and Crake" is always great, I love her poetry
Zitkala-Sa
Marge Piercy,
Nikki Giovanni
Afaa M. Weaver
Marian Wright Edelman
and of course, the Tao of Pooh

someone stop me, please…

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
11 posted 2006-08-25 06:34 PM

Nah...keep going! It's inspiring!

ps; Hakuri Murakami's fantastic-poetic and 'street', with a slight paranormal twist. Everything he's written is brilliant, but I think you'll like "Dance Dance Dance", it's quite ghostly.

I have a bulging collection of old pulp fiction...mainly because I like the cover-art, but there's some good reading in there too-who hasn't read 'Go Ask Alice'? Also, 'The Outsider', 'Demo', 'Johnny Come Lately', 'No Mean City', and 'Last Exit To Brooklyn'...I could go on...'The Leather Boys', anyone?

I digress...Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out!

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
12 posted 2006-08-25 08:31 PM

Angels and Demons
Anything by Nicholas Sparks
The Five People You Meet In Heaven

...and my book of course

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
13 posted 2006-08-26 03:11 AM

Good thread.

The Lady your list is close to mine.  Add The Power of One. Loved, the Simple Life of Bees.
I am at work so can not review the library at home. But you and I have share many likes. Rag time is a good one to open eyes too.    

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
14 posted 2006-08-26 11:08 AM

Anything by Ellery Queen...but especially The Tragedy of X, The Tragedy of Y and The Tragedy of Z, followed by Drury Lane's Last Case - a four book set that will make your mouth water.

Also, no collection is complete if it doesn't have the greatest book ever written (in my humble opinion) - Atlas Shrugged.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
15 posted 2006-08-26 10:49 PM

Well I can see there is a problem here... Virtually all of these books and authors are unknown to me and I'm a pretty veracious reader. But Lee, I like your thread.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
16 posted 2006-08-27 02:38 AM

Mike: Atlas Shrugged, Thumbs up. I loved it way back when and have it on my library shelf. maybe time to reread...

Larry: Hi son, Missed you these last few months. martyjo

Add  Wild Swans  by Jung Chang  A story of three generations of Woman in China and  
Excellent and I am sorry I lent it out as it was never returned. The loanee has since passed on so it is gone.
Also  enjoyed  The Annis Nin  journals.

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
17 posted 2006-08-27 09:10 AM

speaking of Anais Nin, have you read 'The Sexual Life Of Catherine M'? It's pretty full on, and supposed to be an autobiography. I was shocked when I read it, and passages and chapter titles keep coming back to me. For a book written by a woman, it's ground-breaking. (If you type it into google, you can read some of it.) As above, I lent it out, never to be returned.
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
18 posted 2006-08-27 11:34 AM

Lee~
I'm going to slowly drop a few in here from time to time~
My library bulges with SO many interesting and 'favorite' reads~

If you haven't read this little snippet of a book, as a writer, you should~

There is more 'right' about 'write' in the 139 pages of this tiny little novel than I've ever read~

It is 'Tuck Everlasting' by Natalie Babbitt~

Then, 'Believing It All' by Marc Parent~

Knowing you, as I do, I believe you will want to add both of them to your library~

And your 'Maury and Me' was one of the most heartrendered books I was fortunate to receive as a gift~

I'll be baaaack !
*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -       noles1@totcon.com       

The Lady
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-12-26
Posts 7634
The Southwest
19 posted 2006-08-27 12:52 PM

you're right latearrival
I forgot E L  Doctrow
and Anais Nin...
and Hunter S. Thompson too

oh yeah
Tom Robbins especially
"Still Life with Woodpecker"

you guys all read good stuff

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

20 posted 2006-08-29 06:47 AM

Holy Molie, I just dropped back in to see if anyone responded to this, since Last I visited and just wow!!!!
This is great, I can't thank you all enough for your responses and suggestions...

hugs to you for your kindness...

I'm printing this up and will slowly collect what I don't already have...

many many thanks

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

21 posted 2006-08-29 06:53 AM

The Lady
One of my girlfriends is an avid reader, matter of fact, she'll read two or three books at a time, and has read many of the authors you've suggested...

Has anyone had the opportunity to read Dead On by Ann Kelly Yet?  

If and when you do, I'd really appreciate your feedback...the author is a co-worker and has become a friend of mine.  She is a hoot, with a contagious laugh.

Some parts of the book are very provacative, but the meat of this paranormal mystery has a really grab you by the arm twist.  

To, me, it is well worth the read, and an easy read.  If anyone of you do order it by chance, would really love to hear your reactions...

A movie production company who did my Big Fat Greek Wedding has bought the rights to the book.  It would make a great movie....if they do it, they have renewed their rights to the movie for another year, but will they do it?  Who knows?

Anyway, thanks to you all....have a wonderful day.

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
22 posted 2006-09-24 03:47 PM

Found an interesting book: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I just happened to see it at a book store at Atlantic Beach in Jacksonvill last week. "Nineteenth century China in a remote Hunan county, A girl named Lily at the tender age of seven is paired with a Laotong, or Old same."
tells of the struggles of women in those years,  the process of foot binding and why it was done.The status of young girls born etc.Told as if by an 80 year old woman who is writing in the secret code woman used to send private messages to friends. Very interesting. I am hoarding it and reading a chapter at a time because I want to draw it out and think on it. If any one has read it would appreciate your take on it. martyjo

[This message has been edited by latearrival (09-25-2006 05:21 AM).]

The Lady
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-12-26
Posts 7634
The Southwest
23 posted 2006-10-28 07:37 PM

latearrival

am currently reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See!

I love it and the concept of "old same"
thanks for suggesting it

Kate

LeeJ

thanks for making this thread possible!

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
24 posted 2006-11-16 05:12 AM

Thanks Kate, You and I do indeed have the same interests. Just finished one about a New Orleans white slave girl. Family came from Germany in the 1800's. Mother died on board ship, father dies soon after leaving two little girls and a little brother alone. As the family was indentured to pay the ship fees, they would have had to find work before landing. A slave buyer took the little ones and later passed one off as mulato and sold her as a young slave. It is based on a true story using old court records and newpaper articles when it went to court to free her. Won't tell it all but I found it very interesting. Can't think of the author off hand, he is an Australian who came to the U.S. to look up the records. It has been written about before.
keep up this thread please.

Am now reading an Amy Tan book about her muses. thank you LeeJ, martyjo  

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
25 posted 2006-11-16 04:41 PM

The Amy Tan book is:
The Opposite of Fate
  A Book of Musings.

I read a lot of interestings things in this book.I am sure you will all enjoy her thoughts on writing.

The other is:
The Lost German Slave Girl by John Baily.

Need more titles everyone. thanks, Marty jo

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
26 posted 2006-12-04 03:17 PM

Another book by Lisa See. The Interior: About an American company in  the China country side who hires underage girls and young women to make toys. So many twists and turns, I had to keep reading without stop. It is out of publication now according to Lisa See, (I e-mailed her to tell her how much I enjoyed it.) So you have to find it in a used book store or on e-bay. She is so nice, e-mailed me right back. I am off to look for her other books. Where is the rest of this group of good readers? Need more titles. martyjo
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
27 posted 2006-12-04 07:06 PM

Just to be different:

Stephen King - The Dark Tower series
Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time series
George RR Martin - Songs of Fire & Ice series
David Gemmel - Knights of Dark Renown
Terry Pratchett - Going Postal
Neil Gaiman - American Gods
Neil Gaiman - Anansi Boys
Orson Scott Card - Ender's Shadow (and Ender's Game while you're at it)

Just a few of the things I've been reading (or listening to during my commute) lately.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
28 posted 2006-12-04 09:22 PM

[Attic] Greek: An Intensive Course, by Hardy Hansen and Gerald M. Quinn
Introduction to Attic Greek, Donald J. Mastronarde

Φιλω την `Ελληνικην  γλωτταν!

[Philo ten Hellenicen glottan!]
"I am loving the Greek tongue!"

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

29 posted 2006-12-22 05:04 PM

A Confederacy of Dunces
by John Kennedy Toole

This one has got to be read by Karen...
takes place in New Orleans...
The dialogue transports you to the superb voice of New Orleans, like your standing right there...takes an incredible writer to accomplish that feat.  That is why Karen would not only love this, but probably put it under her pillow every night...now I know where she gets her sense of humor...and the will to carry on...
Astonishingly funny….simply love the characters as they come to life…
An incredibly good novel, and master piece
A Pulitzer Prize Winner
You’ll love it

Martie Jo...my girlfriend read your Amy Tan Book and absolutely loved it.  

Thanks, she's starting the next one...she loves Amy Tan...

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
30 posted 2006-12-22 07:42 PM

Lee if your friend loves Amy Tan she will adore Lisa See. I wrote to Lisa See and she answers right away. Nice lady ...keep reading...
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
31 posted 2006-12-22 11:12 PM

Lee,
I just finished "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin and now I'm reading "Grant" by Jean Edward Smith. But then again I love history.

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

32 posted 2006-12-23 03:48 PM

Martie Jo...I bought her a book by Lisa See...it was one of your suggestions...I think she's going to love it.  

Larry, love history to, thanks so much for your offerings to this thread...hope you enjoy both the books.  

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
33 posted 2006-12-24 12:18 PM

Good choice Lee. I know she will love either one I mentioned.
Larry I love books with a historical base. Easiest way to learn for me. That an biographies are my choices

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

34 posted 2007-02-02 10:00 AM

On my way back from Philadelphia yesterday, I met a man who was reading Traveler, by John Twelve Hawks...he was explaining the plot of the story to me...suggesting it was a fast and interesting read....

I've ordered it....cannot wait to get my nose in it...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/038551428X/103-8283053-8131854

Has anyone read it yet?

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
35 posted 2008-11-11 06:14 AM

I am now reading the book about Gertrude Bell, a very wealthy English Woman who traveled the Arabia Desert area in early 1900's. She met and beame friends to many different sheiks. She was educated at Oxford, very rare for that time and learned five languages mostly, on her own. She was responsible for mapping out Iraq and responsible for many things in Iraq. Gertrude moved to Bagdad and founded the museum and  helped to set up a library and school. Much much more. Very intelligent and very active in many areas.A fascinating woman and the book is a must read.I wonder why we have not heard more of her before this. Our Government should read her books and learn diplomacy from her books and other writings. I know many of you will love this boook. "late"

[This message has been edited by latearrival (11-12-2008 07:55 AM).]

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
36 posted 2008-11-11 10:44 AM

The Alchemist.

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
37 posted 2008-11-11 04:05 PM

Lee J-I am coming to this thread rather late LOL But I have been reading several books lately and it has become a passion of mine! ~ I would like to suggest a Stephen King book to you ~Salem's Lot~

Have you heard of this one? I found it so goood and eerie... Now, I love to read Horror's and fantasy's. Lately, I have been really enjoying the Best seller the "Twilight" Series! Excellent novels, which by the way, is being made into a movie that comes out on November 21st, 08!!!

I am trying to complete all of Stephen King's books, all 50 or something like that   LOL

Thanks for this thread, it's fun talking about books

to you
ARCTIC WIND

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
38 posted 2008-11-11 04:06 PM

Lovely Bones is a good choice

ARCTIC WIND

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
39 posted 2008-11-12 12:46 PM

Christopher's recommendation of "The Dark Tower Series" by Stephen King would be one I would pick for you too Lee.  Here is a link to explain the series, Stephen King - The Dark Tower Series
I enjoyed the book, "Three Cups Of Tea" by Greg Mortenson, it is about one man trying to fight terrorism by building schools in Pakistan.

An all-time favorite I have just re-read is a series of books, starting with The Clan Of The Cave Bear by Jane Auel - I love the main character.

Speaking of a book putting you right there, I guess you have read "Midnight In The Garden Of Good and Evil?"  I had an accent for months after     Reading is good!

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
40 posted 2008-11-15 11:31 PM

Mysteria!

I always wondered if the Dark Tower series was good!! I enjoy reading Stephen King books myself!!

I'm curious to hear of which books you have read by him??

to you
ARCTIC WIND

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass
41 posted 2008-11-16 10:54 AM

For a serious reorientation of your viewpoint on life and the world, Miroslav Volf, "The End Of Memory."

And for poetic inspiration, "Staying Alive," edited by Neil Astley. When I pick up this book, I never fail to find myself writing by the time I put it down.

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Collecting Good Reading

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary