navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » As for gossip, I would just like it to be known.....
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic As for gossip, I would just like it to be known..... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
RMW
since 2001-03-21
Posts 1424

0 posted 2001-06-26 07:29 PM

...that I do not now, nor have I ever, embraced

TECHNOLOGY!

PS On a bit more serious note, having been described as an "out of the box" kind of guy by the powers that run this lash up, I strongly recommend, and I am quite serious about this, that all who frequent this establishment read, study and commit to memory that wonderful little book: "Is Sex Necessary", by James Thurber and E.B. White. Nowhere will you find a more definitive treatment of how the literary mind can distinguish love from passion. And I quote: "I have mentioned that the question of deciding whether a feeling be love or passion arises at inopportune moments, such as at the start of a letter. Let us say you have sat down to write a letter to your lady. There has been a normal amount of preparation for the ordeal, such as clearing a space on the desk (in doing which you have become momentarily interested in a little article in last month's Scribner's called, "Plumbing the Savage," and have stood for a minute reading the first page and deciding to let it go)"...continuing "This vexing disbelief in one's own illusion of love is experienced most alarmingly by persons of literary inclinations. Yet with them the reaction comes in quite the opposite manner. Writing is a form of sexual expression (Zaner goes further: he says writing is sex), and it takes just as much out of a person."...and concluding: "A person of this sort falls terribly in love, but in the end it turns out is more bemused by a sheet of white paper than a sheet of white bed linen. He would rather leap into print with his lady than leap into bed with her. (This first pleases the lady and then annoys her. She wants him to do both, and with virtually the same impulse). Here endth the reading. PS Accepting that I will soon be asked to withdraw my membership in this club forthwith, let it be known that Harvey and I will be hosting a party at the corner bar at approximately 10:00 p.m.

© Copyright 2001 RMW - All Rights Reserved
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
1 posted 2001-06-26 07:40 PM

Maybe I'm dumm, but I really don't know what your talking about.

Titia

A rose is a rose is a rose...I guess...
Feel free to use the pictures on my website. http://communities.msn.com/Titiasplace&naventryid=100

wayoutwalt
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 4870
TEXAS (it's all big)
2 posted 2001-06-26 07:43 PM

you really should reserve these for the Discussion forums as they are gonna end up there soon anyway.

[This message has been edited by wayoutwalt (edited 06-26-2001).]

VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
3 posted 2001-06-26 07:45 PM

uh, from what club do you deem you'll be ased to withdraw? And, who's Harvey? And where's the corner Pub?

RMW, who are you talking to and what about? to end a sentence with a preposition

uh, have you been standing too close to the aluminum pans?

[This message has been edited by VAS (edited 06-26-2001).]

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
4 posted 2001-06-26 07:45 PM

what Walt said......and I'll add....what?! You trippin....
RMW
since 2001-03-21
Posts 1424

5 posted 2001-06-26 07:47 PM

No, Titia, it's not you. It's me. Well, and Thurber and White. Thurber is an American humorist, and White (also the author of "Charlotte's Webb") is one of our foremost essayists. Both reached a point in their lives where nothing rung so true as the statement: "...we think we somehow managed, simultaneously, to arrive at the conclusion that the heavy writers had got sex down and were breaking its arm. We were determined that sex should retain its high spirits. So we decided to spoof the medical books and, incidentally, to have a quick look at love and passion." In brief, there exists no thicket as thick as love and passion. Bob
VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
6 posted 2001-06-26 07:53 PM

Man, I thought that last line with its bit or rhyme would 'low your stay till later time, but alas, they moved you fast...so I had ta come over here to goad ya

So many things get to be named akin to sex, now, if we were to take a gander, I wonder just who does the bulk of the decidin'.  

could it be men, could it be women or them that just has none?

heh heh heh, I'm so awful!

[This message has been edited by VAS (edited 06-26-2001).]

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
7 posted 2001-06-26 08:38 PM

rofl!!!!!!!!!

i love it!!!!

thanks, i needed this....

too bad it didn't have any accompanying cartoon illustrations.....  

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
8 posted 2001-06-26 11:03 PM

This was fun, and I think you should stay in the club..Whichever one it is  
Sandra

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2001-06-27 09:11 AM

Club? There's a club somewhere around here?  Wow!  Can I join?  I would like to know where the line is so I can stand in it....

and find out more!

Spoof away!

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
10 posted 2001-06-27 10:17 AM

Did I miss the party?  I bet Harvey was the hit of the evening!
Interloper
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-06
Posts 8369
Deep in the heart
11 posted 2001-06-27 10:40 AM

BRAVO!
AUTHOR!
Bob, you are right on my friend!  I gotta get those books.
And, tell Harvey to save me a seat.  Oh, that's right, he can't, can he

JLR
since 2001-02-04
Posts 1785

12 posted 2001-06-27 10:47 PM

Ok, at first I was scared because I thought I 'got this' and others didn't...now I see others did.  Whew!  Point well taken.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » As for gossip, I would just like it to be known.....

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary