navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Question for Mizz Aggie, and everyone
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Question for Mizz Aggie, and everyone Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone

0 posted 2001-06-16 08:06 AM

There was once a girl stumbling through life, not making the entire best out of things, to say the least. One day she came upon this forum, and as she continued to read, and attempt to say something worthwhile, she realized that this question kept coming to mind.
HOW DID YOU ALL GET SO DAMN WELL ADJUSTED???
She sees the heartache that you all go through, the disappointments, the worries, and yet, you seem to be so strong and able to handle everything.
While she just wants to take a long walk into the ocean. How, she wonders, do you gain that bounce back ability. And maintain that wonderful sense of humor, and caring for others??

© Copyright 2001 Sandra - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2001-06-16 11:18 AM

Hi Sandra!

I gave this question to Miz Aggie and here's here reply:

"I've had a lot of rough times in my life. Moments when pulling the covers over my head was all that saved me from going crazy. But those moments ended when I looked outside myself. I read a newspaper, watched TV and realized that things for me aren't so bad after all. This is my life..and I determine how I live. And sometimes, when nothing else works, I pretend. I pretend to be happy. After awhile, it's easier to just BE content.

You know I heard about that little girl in Texas that was forced by her parents to live in a closet. I realized I don't have it so bad."

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
2 posted 2001-06-16 11:34 AM

Wait a minute. . . I'm well adjusted???  

Seriously Sandra, we've all been there. . . I know that there are times where I feel just like totally giving it all up and, as you said, take a long walk into the ocean. . .

So, what keeps me from doing that?  What, in essence, keeps me sane??  (As if there is such a thing as being sane!)  For me, I would say that it would have to be the idea that I know that I'm going to make it. . . no matter what.  The idea that no matter how dark or dreary the situation might seem, that it will end soon, and that, when I come out on the other end of it all, I will have found that which I have for so long sought.

It's a drive, something that's internal.  It makes me go, it keeps me going, it doesn't stop.  I know that it can only get better, I know that I have a lot going for me, that there's a lot worse places that I could be.  It helps me keep perspective.  

Um. . . I know that there's a lot more to this. . . but, I'll come back later and talk more about it. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2001-06-16 02:59 PM

Mizz Aggie wouldn't return my call...so I am calling on my own experience to say:

I had a dark moment, once.

That was enough.

Then I learned it was easier to laugh, no matter HOW bad it got....

and it got pretty bad....

so I am either certifiable, or I've fooled everyone.

I still smile.  

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 posted 2001-06-16 03:38 PM

I never try to take life TOO seriously, thus my humor comes along....
Now how did *I* come along....my personality....my poetry and all that mature mumbo jumbo....ha well i was very happy being immature and ignorant, but then came along a few hells.

hells= Months on end of depression in which you want nothing but to cease to exist to stop the immense pain, the unthinkable pain you're going through.

so yea.....i've been through 4 hells, each lasting for a minimum of 4 months and the longest for more than half a year.
How did I survive? NO CLUE!
I'm ok now though.....and a year after the beginning of my last hell I'm still trying to recooperate.

So how do we bounce back? I don't know.....I kinda just flop on the floor and stay there until I inflate again.

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

5 posted 2001-06-16 06:10 PM

Well adjusted?
ME?
ROTFLMAO.

Oh, I just look that way truly.

Last night I was bawling for an hour over NOTHING. Well - a compound of stuff...yup, that's well adjusted. Heh.

Nah - nothing wrong with crying. In fact...apparently it's very healthy. Cried lately? It might help..

In general - I can't actually say the 'my life's better than others' philosophy works that well for me. After all, I disagree with life comparisons...we all have our own stories, our own realities and we all need to honour them. I think that can be a good thing to recognise and help us to appreciate our lives yes - but not used as a process to deny our own negative feelings.

I DO count my blessings. And when I feel there are no big things to count - I count the little ones...like being warm, like having food in the cupboard. Like having passed through a childhood no child ever should have and SURVIVING: I wasn't a teenage mother, I haven't become a drug addict or an alcoholic - hell, not being DEAD - which could've happened a few times. I count that blessing nearly everyday - and recognise that now I am an adult I have control over my own life now. I don't have to hide in my bedroom, afraid, anymore. Or sneak in the middle of night to the kitchen to get food in the dark because I wasn't given any dinner...that is why I feel genuinely HAPPY to have food in my cupboard - that I have chosen. It's those things we take for granted that if we stop to appreciate them they can make the difference between a miserable day and happy day.

Hugs dear...I hope it starts to get easier for you soon...

K

[This message has been edited by Severn (edited 06-16-2001).]

Paula Finn
Member Ascendant
since 2000-06-17
Posts 5546
missouri
6 posted 2001-06-17 02:41 AM

Sandra...well I look at it this way...theres always tomorrow....waking up is a second chance....sure theres hurt...but maybe...just maybe the next person you see...you touch...is the one...the one that changes your whole way of looking at things...not necessarily a lover...maybe its the lady down the street who always smiles and says hello...maybe its the little neighbor boy you always see quietly playing...all it takes is ONE touch...just one...and theres always tomorrow....maybe thats a simplistic approach...but its what works for me...I'm not saying I never lose sight of this....all you have to do is read my stuff to know that...but sooner or later...I see tomorrow
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2001-06-17 01:02 PM

"HOW DID YOU ALL GET SO DAMN WELL ADJUSTED???"

It wasn't easy.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Question for Mizz Aggie, and everyone

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary