navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Investment Intervention
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Investment Intervention Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas

0 posted 2006-11-14 05:01 PM

Hello. My name is Alicat, and I'm an American capitalist investor pigdog...

Well, enough of that. Just me wondering how many pipsters and silent readers are market investors, be it commodities, stocks, or ETFs; managed or independant; physical storefront or online.

As for me, I'm doing this independantly through ShareBuilder's free service, and reading enough tutorials, faqs and guides to give a righteous hangover headache, minus the alcohol. Only been in a few weeks and am primarily concentrating on diversified ETFs in domestic and international markets, plus a small handful of long-term stocks to round out the portfolio. And I absolutely love Jim Cramer, founder of thestreet.com, and his MadMoney program on CNBC.

© Copyright 2006 Alastair Adamson - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2006-11-14 05:30 PM

Not too much, though I have some modest funds in CD's & 401k. Current focus is more in the real estate/rental line (good time to buy, eh? )

I do however, as a course of my work, watch several markets. Mostly just some futures (copper, gasoline) - I use www.bloomberg.com - as well as a sharp focus on the lumber market, which is through Random Lengths publications. Additionally, I watch most of the top home builders (I work for one of the top 5) - www.iseoptions.com if you're interested.

Of course, I'm still trying to understand it all, but hey, I've only been at it for ten years or so.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
2 posted 2006-11-14 05:30 PM

didn't show up the first time, so i duped myself.
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
3 posted 2006-11-14 05:43 PM

Not only do I invest, but I am scheduled for the securities lisence class in a couple of months.

You may burn my flag... only after you wrap yourself in it first.
www.myspace.com/mindlesspoet

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
4 posted 2006-11-14 05:46 PM

Yeah, wish I was in 10 years ago. But as the old saw goes: wish in one hand, poop in the other, and see which fills up first.

For research thus far, I've gone through all the tuts and guides at sharebuilder, tdwaterhouse, ameritrade, etrade, and schwab, then doing screens and research through sharebuilder, yahoo!finance and thestreet.  I had been musing about starting up a retirement fund, but slowly in $50-$100 increments.  But that was for later.  Then, sitting bored out of my mind and flipping channels, I happen across this crazy man with sound effects and booyahs. That was about 3 weeks ago, and that's all it took to open that account, transfer $30 from checking over into a moneymarket, and begin the auto-sado/masochism required to research stocks, companies, etfs, and what to look for when given chart data.

Love it!

Very nice, Ringo. Hope you do well!

Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding
5 posted 2006-11-14 09:53 PM

Yep, I love playing in the stock market. If I could go back to being 20, I'd probably go into investing/brokerage as a line of work. Into a lot of oil and gas right now (long term play), and some ETF's in gold and financials along with smaller positions in other stuff. I got bored having my money in mutual funds and moved all my retirement money into my trading account to manage myself. I'm a credit manager, so I know a fair bit about analyzing companies, therefore I feel okay managing my own account.

Up here in Canada, we have a great channel called ROB TV (Report on Business TV), which is a 24 hour channel focused on business and the markets. They interview different money managers all the time, and I get some great stock ideas from them.

By the way, a cool way to learn more about the markets is to join and investment club. I belonged to one for years, and not only was it great fun (we used to meet in a local bar), but we all learned a lot from each other.

You can never win or lose
If you don't
Run the race

Psychedelic Furs - Love My Way

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
6 posted 2006-11-16 03:53 PM

Nice, and been reading about that new law up there about trusts and dividend taxation, which I understand to have been a broken campaign promise.  Since so many panicked and sold as the trust prices tumbled, that makes it a goooooood time to buy, as some have 20.9% or 17.8% yields, and the Nov. 1 law won't take affect for current energy trusts for 4 years.
Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
7 posted 2006-11-16 04:58 PM

As far as stocks go, I got bear but I don't know bull.

Yes it's me...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Investment Intervention

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary