navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » A Happy Place?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Happy Place? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2006-10-25 04:00 PM

My physician, while we discussed natural methods of battling depression, advised me:

"Daydream more--worry less."

So I've been indulging in a lotta lotto tickets, but actually, I know that money isn't the answer. (It would be one less thing to worry about though, as Forrest Gump pointed out.)

But I started thinking about--um, moving.

The Queen of New Orleans is tard.

I'm sick of crime-I'm sick of crack-I'm sick of politics-I'm sick of guns--oh, I am sick. Heh.

But someone recently asked me just where the heck would I go?

And I really don't know. I thought Palermo sounded good. Another port city, with great food, architecture. Hmmmm. Shrug.

Then I came across this today on my little AOL screen. (Yes, AOL, because for some reason my DSL hates me.) But anyhow, they said that Denmark is the happiest country in the world.
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/10/happiest_countries/index_01.htm

So I thought I'd ask you guys--put me on the map somewhere.

I'd like some place with a thriving art community, great food, eclectic people, lots of music, nice weather, and NO GUNS.

Put me on the map folks.

Dream a little dream for me?

C'mon...I know a few of you have been dying to tell me where to go.

© Copyright 2006 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2006-10-25 04:08 PM

c'mon, k, you know it's not so much where you go, but what you take with you.
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
2 posted 2006-10-25 04:27 PM

Well my neck of the woods (the UK) looked good until you mentioned the weather but if you ever want to try it out and happen to be passing we've a spare room. Her indoors says she wouldn't mind the company either.

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
3 posted 2006-10-25 04:59 PM

Hmmm...I haven't been that many places, but I'd pick Maui for the peaceful simple feeling, ocean and sweet people.  
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
4 posted 2006-10-25 07:12 PM

the happiest place in the world is where you are

a.) needed and most effective

b.) respected and cherished by others

c.) too busy to worry about whether or not you're happy

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 2006-10-25 07:40 PM

Colon Michigan. It's the magic capital of the world...need a little magic in your life?
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2006-10-25 07:52 PM

Mysteria once asked me this, now that I recall.

She asked, "If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would that be?"

I didn't hesitate.

Forrest Gump's mother's bed.

Just like Jenny, I want to feel safe and loved and cared for, so I can sleep and sleep and sleep until I finally wake up feeling rested. And hopefully still safe, and loved and cared for...

I don't think I've felt safe for a very long time.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
7 posted 2006-10-25 08:00 PM

quote:
I'd like some place with a thriving art community, great food, eclectic people, lots of music, nice weather, and NO GUNS.

* art community
* eclectic people
* lots of music

Those are the things you want close enough to easily visit. Sadly, the people who want to actually live in the midst of that are often the ones most likely to bring the drugs, crime, and guns with them.

Say what you like, but the Amish make good neighbors.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
8 posted 2006-10-25 09:46 PM

Where I am right now is the happiest I have ever been.  I have also lived here and been unhappy.

and I fear the crazy drivers on the road more than the guns.

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2006-10-26 09:27 AM

I think you're in need
of a pair of ruby reds...

and so much sage advice, above.

It IS what you take with you...[attitude]
and don't forget to bring the good memories
of what you've left behind.

[That saw me through a LOT of moves...]

And don't forget to listen to the knock
of opportunity...

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
10 posted 2006-10-27 11:45 PM

Oh Karen, my Karen...the place that you want I am pretty sure is either The Emerald City, or Brigadoon. Now, the first place you would have to journey there in Auntie Em and Uncle Henry's farmhouse whilst it was inside a funnel cloud. The second you would have to be out hunting in the highlands of Scotland and lose your way. If you were lucky a town will appear through the mist. I say lucky cause it only appears every one hundred years or so.
   Honestly, I wish I could help. I want you to feel safe and sleep per chance to dream. Be well beauty. Chrislane

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
11 posted 2006-10-28 05:16 AM

Maybe your happy place is closer than you think.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~pgb/lyrics/twtwotm.html

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
12 posted 2006-10-28 09:08 PM

Ooooooooooooooh  Gleeeeeeeeee!! I love that song Grinch! Karen have you heard The Whole of The Moon by the Waterboys?! Listen...I'll put the CD on for...errr..hee hee...nevermind, you're not here.
Nightshade slinks away redfaced

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

13 posted 2006-10-28 09:57 PM

Well, I got it now.

and it's well, happier than I expected--considering the lyric.

But I guess even the paradox of that is appropriate.

and thankyous

inot2B
Member Elite
since 2000-09-18
Posts 2205
Arkansas
14 posted 2006-11-10 01:38 PM

I've been hunting for that "Happy Place" all my life. When I thought I might have lost my husband to the Gulf of Mexico stormy waters, I realized that I had the happy place all along right next to me.  Never have I been so happy to hear his voice saying we made it and all is well.
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
15 posted 2006-11-10 02:04 PM

(smiles) In my experience, the first ingredient in living a life constantly filled with hope, promise and contentment is by cultivating your ability to live in the present. That is, not to always go on the defensive and always imagne that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, but to think that there will always be green grass and budding crape myrtles where you stand. Being able to cope and stand in the present is the first part in my philosophy to keeping physically and mentally content.

Secondly, having said that, you can live in the present while also letting your imagination go wild. Long walks always offer great inspiration to me, and in fact are exactly what inspired a bulk of my "Emmanuel Endorphin" ideas. I see parts of Portland I haven't seen yet each week, as though my eyes are a 3-D Viewmaster, and twang new ideas away that sugar-coat the prisms under my skin, yay!

And when the weather is a bit choppy outside, I find dancing just for the fun of it is a wonderful alternative. I am a huge "Dance Dance Revolution" geek, and you'd be surprised at how even interpretive dance can get those creative juices flowing and make you feel good, given I am currently in my "Dance Dance Revolutionary" concept poetry set and story. Think of your favorite kind of dance and energize that ephebism away!

Thirdly, surely we all live by routine, but it doesn't mean you can't mix things up every day. So I accept the infrastructure by routine, while also juggling around the tasks that make up the substance of it. Rather than watch TV every evening, you could take a stroll right through a botanical garden, or volunteer at a rescue mission, or simply pirouette in the backyard gently catching fireflies. Yay!

Last off, while indeed there is much that isn't pretty in our current world, I keep an optimistic sense of mind, where I lead by Daniel L. Reardon's notion, "In the long run the pessimist may be proved right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip." It doesn't mean you have to dress yourself up in Teflon and a sauce pan helmet and declare, "Pangloss to the rescue!", but I just find that optimism inspires many ideas and serves a central heating system in your soul, whereas pessimism only hardens and sinews the rigidity of our defenses.

I actually coined a new word recently while producing the Evening News at KBOO Community Radio: sagittaricize. It, of course, is based on the astrological sign Sagittarius, which optimism, the pursuit of knowledge and a sense of wonder is linked to. (My sun sign is Scorpio and my moon sign is Cancer, but three of my planets Jupiter, Uranus and Neptune are all in Sagittarius) Once it is accepted into the Oxford English Dictionary, the textbook definition will be, "Injecting a positive truth and spirit into an otherwise bleak atmosphere." Often I hear from so many how the news is so depressing and lacks that sense of spirituality and capability feeling, and so every wednesday when producing I become the "Sagittaricizer" and find positive, uplifting stories to even out the broadcast content, whether it be great things our troops are doing in Iraq, science and medical breakthroughs, Locks for Love charities, Angel Food Ministries, etc. So you can adopt my word, if you want, and experiment "sagittaricizing" your day.

Yay, hope that helped, dearest friend, yay!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
16 posted 2006-11-10 03:41 PM

The library
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

17 posted 2006-11-10 10:59 PM

All great advice.

Um, but Ess? I pretty much live in a library now, and it is indeed a source of happiness for me. I just have trouble with re-shelving. I always think I'm gonna need that book at three a.m., and besides--books are like puppies to me. I never met one I could not find a place for, and never could keep it in its place.

But thank you all, for sharing all the happy places in your minds.

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
18 posted 2006-11-14 11:40 PM

I fight depression by telling myself an old african proverb:

"When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers."

I know that doesn't make much sense but it's better than the proverbs of my Irish ancestors which is:

"Drink the gigglewater!"

I think you should move to South Carolina. I just moved here, and besides the fact that it isn't my old home, it is paradise.

Yes it's me...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » A Happy Place?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary