navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Movies
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Movies Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York

0 posted 2006-02-11 08:27 AM

I was thinking of that scene in "Edward Scissorhands" where he is sculpting and she dances beneath the ice chips, a snow angel . . .

Also, the restaurant scene in "Reservoir Dogs", the opening scene, where they talk about leaving a tip, that is beyond hilarious.

(Toby Wong . . . Toby Wong . . .)

Or when Tony Montana lies in his own indoor pool face down with a statue above him, lighted and scrolling:
"The World is Yours for the Taking."

Again, same movie, the opening bathroom scene.  de Palma NEVER shows you anything disturbing, he allows your mind to perceive what is occurring while the chainsaw buzzes in the background.  The look in Pacino's eyes . . . amazing.

Ok same movie, opening scene, immigration . . . asking about how he got his scar . . . hilarious.

(I have yet to see the 1932 version)

And then too many scenes in "Pulp Fiction", but to me, the most mind blowing is when John Travolta boots up and Quentin zooms in on the blood entering the syringe and going back out to his body . . .

THAT scene just gives me the utmost respect for the art of direction.

I love movies and quote from three amazing directors: Tim Burton, Brian de Palma (Oliver Stone wrote that screenplay too),
and Quentin Tarantino.  

There are so many scenes and movies.  Gosh, the  Hitchcock flicks "Rear Window" - I could go on forever . . .

What is your hands down all time favorite scene(s) in a movie(s)?  Directors?

© Copyright 2006 Sue Eckam - All Rights Reserved
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
1 posted 2006-02-11 11:47 AM

Well I have 4 firm older ones and now a new one (but I can't tell that one as it is at the ending of "Nanny McPhee,"           which I am sure you will going to see.  I highly recommend it to kids of "all ages."  Sue, YOU will love it!  It isn't that often I will buy a movie but can't wait to own this one.

Here is a trailer to entice you out of your money.
Nanny McPhee

~  *  ~  *  ~  

My first favorite is the scene in "Sleepless In Seattle" after Meg Ryan does her "fake orgasm" and a patron in the restaurant says, "I'll have what she's having!"

The second is from "Gerry McGuire", when she says, "You had me at hello!"  I have actually quoted that on occasion and it works.  

The third is from "Forrest Gump," spoken by Tom Hanks, when he says, "My momma always said life was like a box of chocolates…you never know what you're gonna get."

The fourth, is my buddy E.T., when he said, "E.T. call home."          

My favorite "warm feeling movie" of all, is "Michael" with John Travolta, and I have NO idea why, I just loved it.  That dance scene in the bar, rocks!

I loved the scene in "Indiana Jones," when he is confronted by this big dude weilding a huge sword, and he says, "what the heck!" Then he pulls out his gun and shoots him.  Yup, now that was funny.

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
2 posted 2006-02-11 12:30 PM

Oh man, laughing at the Indiana Jones here --->  those movies are priceless, I LOVE them all.

I havent seen the movie you mentioned but will check it out, thanks Sharon. Never saw "Michael" either.

Just bought E.T. for Billy . . . *smile*

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
3 posted 2006-02-11 10:33 PM

what?! You have to see Michael...I love that movie...love Pulp Fiction....I have too many favorites to list or the parts I like in each one...But Forrest Gump...when he is talking to Jenny after she has passed and he says he misses her so much...I sob great big body jerking tears every single time.

That Nanny movie is looking like an instant classic to me...

and now Jon is waiting for me to go watch "Waiting" with him!

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
4 posted 2006-02-11 10:39 PM

I think you will find that Meg Ryan scene in “When Harry Met Sally” and the customer who says, “I’ll have what she’s having.” was director Rob Reiner's mother.

There are many old movies that rattle around in my head.

One of my early childhood favorites was “I Married A Witch” a theme I was inclined to explore in adulthood.

The anti-war movie “A Walk In The Sun” directed by Lewis Milestone also was an early favorite of mine.

There are a few Cagney movies (my father looked very much like him). “Public Enemy,” “White Heat,” etc..

There is a whole batch of complete movies that depending on mood I would put up as my favorites:  The Lion In Winter (O'Toole & Hepburn version), High Road To China, A Bridge Too Far, Light Sleeper, Leaving Las Vegas, Quest for Fire, Tank Girl, The Secretary, Blues Brothers, The Waitress, Tears of the Sun, Medicine Man, Utu, At Play In The Fields Of The Lord, Electra Glide In Blue, Treasure of Sierra Madre, 13th Warrior, Unforgiven, The Ninth Gate, Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here, To Have And Have Not, Soylent Green, Tombstone, The Dogs Of War, Wild Geese, Last Of The Dogmen, The Wild Bunch, Down Periscope, Atlantic City, High Noon (followed by Outland), both Scarface movies, The Misfits, The Wild One and of course King Kong.

I am a big fan of “Quigley Down Under,” “Practical Magic,” most of the old “Topper” movies, and of course the classics that make up their own class such as “Casablanca,” and “The Maltese Falcon.”

More than whole movies, individual scenes stay with me; one that comes to mind today is Eli Wallach’s scene in “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly” when he says, “You gonna talk, talk; you gonna shoot, shoot.”

...of course there also is the Clemenza line from “The Godfather” : “Leave the gun, take the canoli.”

...and the scene in Dr. Strangelove when George C. Scott’s character General Turgidson at the end of the movie says, “Mr. President, we must not allow... a mine shaft gap!”

Then there is the Robert Duvall scene in “Apocalypse Now” “"You smell that? Do you smell that?...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know, that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like - victory....some day, this war's gonna end."

Another favorite is the scene between the characters Shelly and Nora in “White Palace” where Nora explains how she keeps Max.  (Forum standards prohibit a quote)

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
5 posted 2006-02-12 10:32 AM

aww Forrest Gump, another one with too many good scenes to quote . . .

March on Washington when she comes running in the water . . . and he screams:

Jenny???  

I still say to Billy:

Runnnnnnnnnnnnn . .  Billllieeeeeeeeeeeeee . . . Runnnnnnnnnnnn.

(Where she is playing guitar in the strip joint)  

or "LT Dan, you have magic legs!"

~~~

Man . . . icey you mention so many good movies up there but this scene made me laugh, almost spit my coffee out:

“Leave the gun, take the canoli.”

(I have all the Godfather's)

Leaving Las Vegas - no words . . .

Sierra Madre, oh man, I have to go watch that now.

The Wild One . . . the first of its kind.

Blues Brothers (again, way too many good scenes:

"Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke.
And some dry white toast please."  

OMG cracking up here . . .

Apocalypse Now . . . I dont even know where to begin - picturing Dennis Hopper right now all freakin' out like he does . . .

Oh man, I watched a Joan Crawford classic (movie scared me half to death and thats what I mean by direction and actors, you just don't see that anymore) where she is committed to the "Psychopathic Ward".

God, that was a good flick . . . "Possessed"

"Die Die My Darling" . . . "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?"  Bette is the Queen . . .

I just watched "Bullitt" for the first time too.

Has anyone seen, "The Boys of Company C?"

"Billy Jack"?

Don't even get me started on Clint flicks . . .

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Movies

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary