navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » A Chillling Tale from New Orleans
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Chillling Tale from New Orleans Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2005-10-18 01:57 PM

Some of ya'll are familiar with parts of my story, so some of you might know that a musician friend of mine received chemical burns on his legs while wading through the floodwaters. He is recuperating nicely in Missouri and his sister has kindly taken on the task of cleaning his apartment for him while he does.

This is an extraordinary act of love, even for a sister. The apartment is covered in mold, and she informed me that when she first walked by the refrigerator, she was puzzled to hear buzzing.

"Huh?" Thunk she, "there's no electricity, so how in the..."

Then it dawned on her.

That buzzing noise was not Stan's refrigerator--it was flies!

Apparently the maggots in the rotting meats had matured.

So nope, she did not open the door, but wisely duct-taped the biohazard shut and had it moved to the curb to join the dozens of others that lined the previously lovely tree-lined street in New Orleans East.

As groups of refrigerators are popping up like patches of mushrooms all over the area, I was just pondering how circumstances can turn a formerly friendly household appliance into the starring villain of a horror movie, when I came across this column in today's Times Picayune.

So, for your further edification (and hopefully amusement) I leave you this link to another favorite columnist (Chris Rose) who serendipitously touched on this very subject in today's Time's Picayune.

Enjoy.
http://www.nola.com/living/t-p/index.ssf?/base/living-5/1129615281205800.xml

He thinks that bickering over garbage may be a sign of normalcy for New Orleans.

A spark of hope of recovery, if you will.

He may have a point.

© Copyright 2005 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2005-10-18 02:38 PM

"The Uptown Refrigerator Wars"
I am fighting a head cold and sore throat but this story gave me the giggles.
I can see the horror movie version,  featuring Ms Amana vs Mr Maytag, their cords (like tentacles) reaching out and grabbing any unsuspecting humans within reach.

thanks for the needed giggle this morning K

inot2B
Member Elite
since 2000-09-18
Posts 2205
Arkansas
2 posted 2005-10-18 02:48 PM

Sometimes people just have to take action on their own.  

I came through part of New Orleans going to Marrero to pick up my brother on Sunday.  May I say that things do still look a bit disheveled, yet so much better than what was being shown on TV after Katrina.

Good luck to you and your family.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2005-10-18 02:52 PM

and to yours, m'friend.

thank you

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
4 posted 2005-10-18 03:45 PM

quote:
(Me, I'm not circumspect enough to perform my urban civic warfare anonymously.)
I love that.

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
5 posted 2005-10-18 04:48 PM

Karen....Very interesting how we take for granted our refrigerators.  I for one am going to clean mine, right now!  This was funny, yes, but also a sad reminder of human nature and the slow process of returning to normal.  I'm glad your sense of humor is still intact!!  
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
6 posted 2005-10-19 06:47 AM

That was quite a read, Karen. I liked the line Chris quoted above too. It sure does make those of us who are distant and looking in, appreciate some of the smaller things we take for granted.

I hope you've been doing well? Big hugs to you

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
7 posted 2005-10-19 01:50 PM

I would have brought it back too . . . *grin*
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2005-10-19 03:10 PM

I just wanted to add, a bit smugly too, that our neighbors got together on this issue.

We found out where the FEMA trucks were bringing the nasty things (a parking lot of a defunct department store) and we loaded up our own refrigerators and brought them there ourselves.

Inotbe? I'm with you. Sometimes y'just gotta tend to yer own business.

And if they don't come get these logs from in front of my house (pine trees went down yanno) I'm gonna have a helluva bonfire for Samhein.

See ya on the evenin' news? Hopefully not, but um, we'll see.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2005-10-19 06:27 PM

Wow.

Hmmm.

Scratchin' my head.

Guess what?

The FEMA waste management company is removing the tree debris from in front of my house as I type...

I am grateful, but the timing of it is...

well, no wonder I'm paranoid.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2005-10-19 06:43 PM

...LOL

The Timing Of It Is...

that there's a poet with connections to PiP in FEMA....

You know I know you know....

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

11 posted 2005-10-19 06:57 PM

I yam truly blessed.
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
12 posted 2005-10-19 11:25 PM

It helps to have friends in the right places, especially with logs on your darn lawn.  Hey lady, thanks for the hug too. Wish you lived closer I would give you guys a houseful of "stuff" free!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » A Chillling Tale from New Orleans

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary