navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Young bandits caught on film during audacious daylight raid!
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Young bandits caught on film during audacious daylight raid! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US

0 posted 2005-06-06 08:35 PM

Racoon montage - Click for larger image
Click for larger image

© Copyright 2005 Ron Carnell - All Rights Reserved
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
1 posted 2005-06-06 08:56 PM

They are precious....we have them around here all the time rading the cat's food.  Thanks for sharing these!
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
2 posted 2005-06-06 09:12 PM

target practice?

just kiddin!

some good photography there Ron. you're getting good at this!

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2005-06-06 09:17 PM

They are sure cute little devils that's for sure, until they grow up and want food!  Your picture taking ability is progressing beautifully.  You are already there with the "dark room" so we'll hope to see more.
What's their names Ron?

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
4 posted 2005-06-06 09:47 PM

Now those DEFINITELY aren't bunnies...
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
5 posted 2005-06-07 06:50 AM

LOL, 'tis the season!

These are wonderful pictures Ron!  We just had 3 raccoon babies venture out of the knarly old willow tree for the first time on Saturday. They climbed "up" then couldn't get "down" until mom came to their rescure later in the night, to guide them safely back home to their hollow, lol.

Excellent pics ... loved these little faces!

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
6 posted 2005-06-07 01:35 PM

These are beautiful pictures!  We have many raccoons where we live in the country. In self-defense, we have been feeding them every night, for 23 years!  I am happy to say they have never gotten into our garbage cans, or anything else around here! A little dog food goes a long ways in amiable relations!

Betty Lou

Betty Lou Hebert

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
7 posted 2005-06-07 02:15 PM

How do you cuff a bandit like that?

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2005-06-07 02:27 PM

...Very, very carefully...
Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
9 posted 2005-06-07 03:30 PM

That is too cute.

When my ex was living with me in an apartment, they used to come around late at night. He would hear them, get up, and feed them. Pretty soon they let him pet them. THE most Amazing thing I'd ever seen!!!. He fed the squirrls that came around during the day. I called him Dr. Doolittle.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2005-06-07 03:37 PM

cute, yes, but "cute" can do a lot of damage.

And don't try cornering "cute" either. They fight like banditos too.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
11 posted 2005-06-07 05:45 PM

I am being held hostage by a frog. Yes, dear friends, I cannot go out onto my screened in porch because there is a FROG out there. How the heck he got in I do not know. But until HE leaves, I'm keeping myself in my condo..sliding glass door closed (sometimes he climbs up there and I can see his belly - shameless display!)

Give me raccoons...at least they wander off sometimes....

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

12 posted 2005-06-07 05:46 PM

I think you should kiss him Shar.

(ya never know...)

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
13 posted 2005-06-07 07:31 PM

I just might do that....but then what would I do with a green Prince that can stick himself to my window?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

14 posted 2005-06-07 07:34 PM

Well, he obviously wants IN.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
15 posted 2005-06-07 07:58 PM

Thanks, Betty Lou, for telling me what to feed them. Had I known that yesterday, I would have made a trip to the store. I actually think they would have waited.  

We have a lot of raccoons in this area, too, but most that I see are in someone else's field (or along side the road, pretending to be speed bumps). These little fellers wandered into my yard yesterday afternoon and made themselves right at home. I'm guessing it was likely their first foray away from momma (whom, incidentally, I kept a constant vigil for, lest she object to my presence). Having not yet been mistreated by humans, these guys had no fear of me and no objection to me joining them for an hour. It was pretty cool.

'Course, raccoons certainly aren't the only critters who come visiting ...

For Nan
('cause she asked)
Bunny for Nan - Click for larger image
Click for larger image

For Sharon
('cause she asked)
Toad for Sharon - Click for larger image
Click for larger image

For Kit
('cause I know what she likes!)
Hummingbird for Kit - Click for larger image
Click for larger image

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

16 posted 2005-06-07 08:13 PM

pout

Not even ONE ladybug for MOI?

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
17 posted 2005-06-07 08:47 PM

Yep - THAT one has bunny ears...

So - Did I mention waking up to find a bird flying around in my basement?  And my Orca-kitty adamantly refusing to come upstairs for breakfast?...

Until then he'd only seen them through the windows. Unfortunately he had his way with the poor bird, and he now stands vigil in my kitchen window - intently watching my bird feeders - tortured with the mere memory of his big day yesterday...

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
18 posted 2005-06-07 09:46 PM

quote:
Not even ONE ladybug for MOI?

Sorry, Karen, but I'm afraid it's not the season for ladybugs in these parts. Can you wait until Fall?

Until then, here's a very distant cousin . . .

Bee for Karen - Click for larger image
Click for larger image

I chased this guy around the yard for an hour, trying to get a picture of him actually ON a flower. Guess he wasn't hungry that day?

Nan, generally, when a predator goes rogue the usual prescription does NOT include making them watch a parade of prey. Indeed, you might want to apprise Orca what IS the usual prescription . . .

Strangely enough, I don't have any pictures of cats yet. LOL. At least, not live ones.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

19 posted 2005-06-07 09:55 PM

laughing...

oh, Ronnie Baby, thank you!

I have chased many a buzz around trying to catch him on the flower!

(saving this)

thank you

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

20 posted 2005-06-07 09:58 PM

and somebody must have busted me on the vodka stingers

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

21 posted 2005-06-07 10:49 PM

Yay for animals!! It makes me sad though, reminds me of my dearly departed finch (cry)

Love's a lovely lad
His bringing up is beauty
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
22 posted 2005-06-08 04:25 PM

Awwww darn no Yadyboogs! (that's how my three year old says it)
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
23 posted 2005-06-08 05:36 PM

Ladybugs? If memory serves me, Ron had a GAGGLE of ladybugs at one time in his garage.....

and that picture looks like a toad not a frog...I am not kissing a toad...I don't care if he poofed into a KING!

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
24 posted 2005-06-08 07:20 PM

Great photography Ron, and sorry to hear you have no cat pictures.  Here's a picture of the cute cat that lives next door.  I can assure you that I make sure to watch its every move, (especially when night falls!)

Hey, Sharon this seemed somehow appropriate.  What do you do with a left over prince anyway right?

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

25 posted 2005-06-08 07:24 PM

Yeah.. around here, the ladybugs live in giant clumps around everywhere, my church is the worst! :P

Love's a lovely lad
His bringing up is beauty
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
26 posted 2005-06-08 07:59 PM

Pepper...

From ages ago...

Or at least 10 years, whichever seems longest...

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
27 posted 2005-06-09 06:19 AM

Awwwwwwwww, thanks for the hummingbird picture Ron! What a beautiful sillouette ... I could watch their acrobatics for hours and hours! What an amazing little creature they are ... that was a priceless shot!
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
28 posted 2005-06-09 02:57 PM

Birds, I've discovered, bath in three different ways (and there may be more). My bluebirds, finches, and sparrows love what we humans call a birdbath, essentially just a container holding about two inches of water. They stand in the center of the water, flapping their wings, ducking their heads, and generally gyrating, before finally flying to a nearby perch to preen and dry. Here's a picture I took of a female bluebird looking just a little bit sodden after her bath.

Wet Female Bluebird - Click for larger image
Click for larger image

Members of the swallow family, including barn swallows, tree swallows, and purple martins, and presumably many other birds who do their hunting in the air, both drink and bath by flying low over a lake and skimming the surface. I've only seen it a few times and it's quite a sight, indeed. If you can imagine water skiing behind a boat, then leaning over to get a drink of water, you'll have some idea of the delicacy and skill involved in what, to them, is an every-day thing.

I read that hummingbirds, being more delicate than bluebirds or swallows, prefer to bath by flying through their bath water and often only get a bath when it rains. Today, for the first time, I had the opportunity to watch one taking a bath, not in the rain (of which we've had very little), but in my sprinkler.

It's one of those cheap plastic sprinklers, seemingly only coming in bright yellow, that oscillates back and forth, describing a half-circle arc of coverage. I was watering some newly seeded grass near the tulip poplar I put in last Fall (which is why I had to reseed some grass) when a hummer landed in the tree and, seconds later, found himself in a brief shower as the arc of water passed. He spent the next thirty minutes hilariously chasing that arc of water back and forth, trying to stay in the falling water without getting caught in the much stronger jet of water spraying skywards. Occasionally, he would land in the tree, primp and flutter for a few seconds, then very strangely fly next to a leaf (big enough on a tulip poplar to serve as a king-size bed for a hummingbird) and rub himself against its still wet surface. Properly preened, he'd returned to chasing the water.

My grass got a bit more water than needed, as I certainly wasn't going to move the sprinkler before my little buddy finished his shower. Unfortunately, I was laughing MUCH too hard to come in the house and get the camera. Not that a still photograph could ever truly capture the wonder of a hummingbird in flight.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

29 posted 2005-06-09 04:02 PM

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

and um, can I come play in your sprinkler too?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

30 posted 2005-06-09 05:16 PM

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

"Duncan a.k.a. Freedom Fred"

wince...sorry about the size, but I dunno what I'm doing.

Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
31 posted 2005-06-09 06:29 PM

Too cute...I love dogs..
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
32 posted 2005-06-10 06:39 AM

Karen, your dog is adorable!

And Ron?  Now you KNOW I would have given anything to have seen that hummingbird sprinkler display!!!! Oh man!!! You have really created a paradise there. What an absolute treat to have gotten to watch that for a solid half hour!!!

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
33 posted 2005-06-10 07:38 AM

Got my hummingbird feeders out... and soaker hoses.  I guess I need a sprinkler too??..
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
34 posted 2005-06-20 03:12 PM

Different sprinkler, different bird, same phenomenon ...

Hummingbird in shower - Click for larger image
Click for larger image

Please note, in the interests of modesty, she kept her back to me throughout her entire shower.

Hummingbird in shower - Click for larger image
Click for larger image

Oh, yea, a few more younguns came visiting me yesterday, too.

Ground Squirrels - Click for more images
Click for more images

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
35 posted 2005-06-20 06:52 PM

Cute little chipmunky ground squirrels they are...
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
36 posted 2005-06-22 12:43 PM

Goodness what are those?  I have never seen something like that before.  Sure cute but I bet they bite?  Well, we found the culprit opening up all the garbage lids, he has moved in next door (well just barely,) as he hardly fits.  Before the end of the week he is being moved to a new home. She just got rid of the smelly old skunk and now she has herself a raccoon!  

Meet Rocky ~   Gee, ours sure look different than yours down there don't they?

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
37 posted 2005-06-22 06:48 AM

ACK!!!!!  I can't BELIEVE you caught the hummingbird shower on film Ron!  That gave me the biggest smile I've worn in ages. Oh my God, that's fantastic!

Now THAT deserves some kind of prize! I have never seen anything like that before in my life, rofl. How on earth do they not topple over from the sheer weight of the spray, lol?

Is it just a sprinkler hose? A fine mist? Oh, you have to send that into a birding magazine or something. That deserves publication, lol. Absolutely tooooooo cute!

And lol @ Nan's "chipmunkey squirrels". They look like "chipmunkey squirrel praire dogs", rofl! Wayne and I are speculating that they are baby chipmunks, but they look a little different? Are they Ron?

Oh boy, just smilin' away here this morning. Way too cute!!! I'll definately be showing these picutres around. Nice shootin' Mr. Carnell!

PS, cute coon Sharon!

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
38 posted 2005-06-22 09:19 AM

That is one massively FAT 'coon, Sharon! And our raccoons look just like yours, the only difference being age. The twins I photographed were only, and I'm guessing here, six to eight weeks old, three months tops.

The sprinkler in these pictures, Kit, is essentially a flat hose with small holes in it. The water squirts out the holes, ranging from a foot to maybe four feet, depending on the size of the hole. Not a lot of water pressure. The yellow sprinkler I described earlier was much more powerful, but they easily solved that problem by flying into the down-stream and avoiding the up-jet.

As for my little furry fellows, they're not "quite" chipmunks. I always thought they were until I visited Lyra in Kalamazoo and saw hers, and only then realized mine are quite a bit different. Their body is longer, for example, and their digging habits are quite different (more messy!). I finally determined they are 13-lined ground squirrels. They are cousins to chipmunks, prairie dogs, and woodchucks.

In at least one respect, that's been cool. Nan has to use special baffles to protect her bird feeders from the local squirrels, something I've never needed to do. In nearly six years, I've never seen a bushy-tailed squirrel, black or brown, on the property. Turns out ground squirrels are very territorial.

Unfortunately, they're starting to become a problem in other respects. Like all rodents, they breed prodigiously. In the past, their population was controlled by food supply and predators, but for most of the last year some idiot has been putting out sunflower seeds for them and chasing off all the cats.

I'm starting to have flashbacks from that old Star Trek episode, "The Trouble with Tribbles."  

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
39 posted 2005-06-22 01:01 PM

You know...I forgot to tell you how impressed I was with your photography too, as it is incredible!  I agree with Kit, that photo has to be entered somewhere for sure.  We will have to find Kit a soaker hose (that is what those are Kit) for her "park" too.     Good idea!

Your little critters there have the funniest ears, and my grandkids wondered if they could hear out of them, LOL.  They are so cute!  I had never seen one before until you posted that.  I loved those tribbles, and the gremlins as well.  I want one of those funny things from Africa that was in Ice Age.  Seriously!  I love them!  Going to find a photo of one.

All our raccoons are FAT here, and HUGE, except for baby ones.  They go and do whatever they want to do, as no one has enough nerve to try to stop them.  They go in a parade from house to house, so we have to build cages around garbage here.

When I visited Nan, we installed what was supposed to be a squirrel proof feeder for the birds.  NEVER in my entire life have I seen such persistant squirrels as she has, never!   They could do acrobatics like no others I have seen here I tell you, and were not afraid if you stood right there and watched them - they almost challenged you to.

Ron, I call Kit, Snow White (like my daughter-in-love) due to her love of natures's children, so we are definitely going to have to have a contest to re-name you accordingly.    

Oh...the raccoon in Nicky's tree had 2 babies inside there too, and they are all up Grouse Mountain this morning, moved and hopefully happy.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
40 posted 2005-06-22 01:31 PM

I found some   Are these not the cutest darn things you have ever seen?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

They are called, meekrats, and this is the first rat ever I liked.  

I plan on catching and bringing back some fireflies from Ontario, as I have never seen one in my entire life.  I am SO excited, and hope to get pictures of them.  Sorry, rambling away here like you are all sitting in my livingroom, but then this place does that to you.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
41 posted 2005-06-27 11:45 AM

Sharon...I posted this back in 2001.

Meerkats are decidedly social animals.  I hope you enjoy!
/pip/Forum47/HTML/001658.html

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
42 posted 2005-06-29 09:32 PM

Caribou/New Sweden, Maine... Meet "Harriet" the pig (over 450 lbs) - and her brood of piglets...  

Notice that Harriet has her own condo and her own truck! She hasn't tried driving as yet, but I think she's got a plan...

Her piglets were fascinated with my flash...

The cows behind her think Harriet's quite the actress, of course...

Harriet, erstwhile, sees her truck fender as a great scratching post.  I hear tell she's considering opening a website to raise funds to upgrade her living conditions.  Silly pig - If she'd just stop eating her shingles and ripping the side of her truck apart, she'd be stylin'...

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
43 posted 2005-06-29 10:48 PM

LOL.

Scratching post, Nan? To me, that last pic looks like Harriet is just engaging in a little cuddlin'.

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
44 posted 2005-10-18 12:44 PM

Awesome photos, Ron... and everyone else too...

Hope you don't mind me throwing a couple of my own into the mix...

This photo of a hummingbird adult and baby was
taken in the tree in my front yard...

It took some time and patience to get,
and I still can't believe I was lucky enough
to capture both of them in the shot...

Click image for larger view

After awhile, the little one flew down onto a basket
that was sitting on a table on the front porch...
so, I got a few close-ups...

Unfortunately, the camera wasn't the best quality,
so this isn't as clear as I would have liked...
but it was cool just to get that close to the little guy...

Click image for larger view

"When the power of love overcomes the love
of power the world will know peace."
--Jimi Hendrix

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
45 posted 2005-10-18 06:40 AM

Oh Vicki ... those pictures are wonderful. Right off the front porch too? That would be so fantastic, great pictures!

LOL, and Nan, I love Harriet and her scratchin' post!

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
46 posted 2005-10-18 09:17 PM

Thanks, Kit...

Glad you enjoyed these...
and yep... it's pretty cool to watch them out there.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Young bandits caught on film during audacious daylight raid!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary