navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Poet Review & Study - A discussion of Poets
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Poet Review & Study - A discussion of Poets Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough

0 posted 2005-05-09 12:06 PM

This may not be the correct place for this, if not please move it to the appropriate room.  

I thought that it would be neat to have a Poet Study and Review.  I think that LP and I had discussed doing this a while back (that is if memory serves me right).  I figured that we could thread a new poet each week, give some breif background info on the poet - post one (or two) of his or her poems and then discuss the poem itself.  I know that each person can walk away with a different meaning of a poem, and I thought it would be interesting to see the various ways that us Pipsters veiw various writers, and their work.

If this is something that anyone would be interested in, please letme know here and maybe we can get enough participants to start this type of discussion.

Thanks,

I may hate myself in the morning - but I'm gonna love you tonight
-Lee Ann Womack

© Copyright 2005 Tima Chavis Cooke - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2005-05-09 12:12 PM

Well, here's as good a place as any.  Feelings was, believe it or not, the original place for author reviews and how a work made you feel.  All things change though.
Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
2 posted 2005-05-09 12:16 PM

Really, Alicat?  I have always wondering why the line is so blurred between The Alley and Feelings.  That does make sense, though.

Tima, if you'd be willing to invest some time into it, I'd be more than willing.  It wouldn't really interfere with my study at all, since I'm studying poets & poetry to begin with.  I would appreciate if you'd be willing to chip in (I get the impression you're also studying poetry?)

I'd love to discuss this with you personally, Tima, if you have an instant message program or something. Here's my info:
MSN: brian_james@mts.net
AIM: b1161984

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
3 posted 2005-05-09 12:22 PM

Well - I guess I could get started.  And LP - I have been 'studying' them forever and a day... I am fascinated at what the writer writes and thinks while doing so.  So, I will gather some info and get ready for our first post.  And LP - I will be in touch as soon as possible.

Thanks for the interest !!

-Lee Ann Womack

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
4 posted 2005-05-10 12:56 PM

It is a good thought.

The only problem is: people seem too busy talking about other things to discuss poetry in this forum anymore.

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
5 posted 2005-05-10 01:52 PM

Well.... just another good reason to have a thred like this don't you agree Ess?

poetry is life... all kinds of things happening in the lives of people, thats what is written about.

Tima

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
6 posted 2005-05-10 02:48 PM

I think this would be a great idea for a discussion forum on its own (literary/poetic studies).  But as a thread alone I fear it may sink far too soon and disappointly to oblivion, under the weight of the more general topics, especially those in the lounge.  

[This message has been edited by Essorant (05-10-2005 03:20 PM).]

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
7 posted 2005-05-10 04:17 PM

The thread was announced here so that others could see it and such, since the lounge gets a lot of attention.  When LP and I have collected the material for the thread, then I am sure that we will further discuss where is the most appropriate place to put it.  I do hope that you and others will join us.

Tima

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
8 posted 2005-05-12 12:09 PM

Do you want to suggest a literary & poetic discussion forum to Ron?  He may like the idea; and if he does, I will put my vote in for you and LP to be the moderators.  Just an idea
timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
9 posted 2005-05-12 02:08 AM

Thank you Essorant... we may do that.  I know that LP has been very busy with school and life, and I am kinda just waiting on him to get us started off here.

But - this seems like a great Idea... and perhaps Ron will go for it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence

Tima

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

10 posted 2005-05-12 10:49 AM

Hey, I'm totally in on this idea...

About where it should be: I think it depends on the sort of discussion we want. If we want a more emotional response, I think Feelings is the way to go. If we want the technical reviews and such, another forum is in order, I think.

Love's a lovely lad
His bringing up is beauty
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
11 posted 2005-05-12 12:14 PM

This has my vote, and undying support as well...
I might not be the most active person on these blue pages, however, I know a great idea when it slaps me, and this is one of those times. Besides... I have recently begun to study some of the past masters in an attempt to get this bimbo I call a Muse out of bed and on her feet... so to speak.

Let's hope Ron feels the idea has as much merit as we do.

I'm drowning, choking
   Falling deeper into this
   Black hole we call living
...Fates Warning

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
12 posted 2005-05-14 02:25 AM

Bump.
Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
13 posted 2005-05-14 01:01 PM

We tried something similar to this before, but it lost interest when I based the topic on a poem that was too long for piptalk's attention span, and nobody participated.

This idea has a bad history.  I don't think it will get its own forum.  But of course, there's no harm in going for it.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
14 posted 2005-05-14 06:28 PM

Local Parasite et al

What about something more toward any kind of poetic or literary discussion though, that may include going over a whole poem if people so will, but also include anything anyone may bring up as long as it is specifically about poetry and literature?  It doesn't necessarily need to be a pedantic analysis of a poem.  However that may surely have place in such a forum.  Also there are members in the philosophy forum that study the bible very deeply and that may be a good place for more literary studies and discussion of the bible too.  Just some more thoughts.  

[This message has been edited by Essorant (05-14-2005 08:31 PM).]

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
15 posted 2005-05-14 07:34 PM

Well, there's always the English Workshop for the dissection of a poet's vision with inexpert tools.
timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
16 posted 2005-05-14 10:14 PM

Brian and I have discussed where we should place the thread for our poetry discussion, and we have decided that the best place 'for now' would be the Family Dialogue Board.  We feel that it may sink in the lounge due to it being kind of a 'hang out' so to speak.  We will test the waters in FD and then see how it goes from there.

I am currently in the process of gathering material for the first post and will have it up as soon as possible.

Thanks again for the support everyone !!

-Lee Ann Womack

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

17 posted 2008-01-16 03:46 PM

Bump
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

18 posted 2008-02-01 10:07 PM

Dear Folks,

There's actually a discussion of free verse going on right now on a thread started by Balladeer.  Grinch is doing some wonderful talking about the same sort of stuff right now.  I've made reference to a link
http://ualr.edu/rmburns/RB/hsubjt.html

which has some of the best said best stuff on poetry and free verse or, for that matter poetry in general ever said by anybody ever.  It is also not stuffy.

Also, I'd like to ask who people are reading these days.
There's a lot of seriously exciting stuff out there by people who are still alive and by people who are young, not to mention the various dead folks available who are still tremendously alive in ways that are simply too amazing to describe.  Any gothic folks out there who haven't actually looked at Rimbaud are missing serious vitamins in their transfusions, for example.  Some of his best stuff can't even be described in a family oriented web site.  Most of his seriously best stuff was written by the time he was 19.

That's one example.

Come-on, persons!  Do you think you're drawn to this stuff for no reason at all?  No No No No!

Enough of these Bumps in the road.  Take poetry back for the people who need it!  Poetry for those who want to feel the burn!  Poetry for those who want the tops of their heads to come off when they come across a great one!
We can put the show on ourselves!  We don't need no stinking badges!

Fill in your own growls and shouts.    

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Poet Review & Study - A discussion of Poets

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary