navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Exam?!!!!
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Exam?!!!! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Tears-of-Sanity
since 2007-09-05
Posts 121
Kingdom Hearts

0 posted 2007-09-30 02:50 AM

Thinking of my issues, they don't seem that great compared to those others suffer from, but still I want an advice.

I have this problem during my exams that I don't exactly know what to do.  I feel nervous and confused and like I am not able to answer anything at all.

I study really hard and all, but as soon as I get into the exam hall, my arms go numb and freezing and my mind turns off.  Sometimes I read questions as if I know nothing about them, while the truth is that I had just answered my friend who asked me about it like 15 minuyes before.  

I was not like that before, and that happened and still is happeneing for like 1 year now.  I was an A student with GPA never less than 3.9 but last semester my GPA went down sharply to like 2.88 all because of that (EXAM-SYNDROM) that I know nothing about.

I guess that is all, and I hope I could get suggestions to what I should do...

Thank you in advance!

Tears of Sanity~

© Copyright 2007 Tears of Sanity - All Rights Reserved
moondogz
since 2007-05-01
Posts 397
Great White North
1 posted 2007-10-01 01:03 AM

Tears-of-Sanity, I'm sorry to hear of your "situation." You seem aware of the fact that you are suffering from anxiety...the question then would appear to be "what to do about it?" I'm not sure if you are aware of the term "metaphysics" or not. Anyway the primise is that the mind creates the reality...the body is simply a learning device and does not in fact create of itself.
        Jose Silva wrote some material that may be on interest...may being the key word here   http://www.silvamethod.com/
        Deep breathing can also be relaxing and grounding...I can relate because I once suffered from anxiety after an unfortunate "accident", anyway good luck and I'm sure there are others here that can offer some words of encouragement.

moon.    

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2007-10-02 12:09 PM

I can sure sympathize with you on the anxiety, been there, and bought the t-shirt.  I do think however the best person to get guidelines from is your own doctor, as everyone is different.

Know this though - anxiety will not kill you it just feels like it can   Take deep breaths, and try to remember you are going to be okay.

I managed to get a degree suffering with acute anxiety, and I am now "old" and still get the odd bout of it.  It can sneak up on you when you least expect it, so see your doctor to control it during exams and tests is the only thing I wish to tell you except hang in there.

moondogz
since 2007-05-01
Posts 397
Great White North
3 posted 2007-10-02 11:06 PM

Hey Tears-of-Sanity, a couple of things I forgot to mention; coffee and sugar can lead to anxiety.
       Be cautious with doctors, they often deal with symptomatic cures, and are sometimes too quick to prescribe drugs that simply mask the primary problem.

moon.

hunnie_girl
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-06-18
Posts 2567
Canada
4 posted 2007-10-03 07:50 PM

hmm I always heard when you freeze up like that you should eat a chocolate bar or something with sugar because it releases all the positve endorphins in your system... good luck
Krysti

Tears-of-Sanity
since 2007-09-05
Posts 121
Kingdom Hearts
5 posted 2007-10-04 12:29 PM

Thank you very much for your advices.  About Coffee and sugar, you needn't worry about that. I don't eat a lot of sweets and I don't like coffee.  I hardlt eat my main meal anyway :P *hehe*

I don't think I am going to ask a Dr. about my condition anyway.  In this country we don't have good Doctors to be asked about stuff like that.  

I guess I will have to deal with it n my own and with the help of you people..
Thnk you vry much

Tears of Sanity~

moondogz
since 2007-05-01
Posts 397
Great White North
6 posted 2007-10-04 01:20 AM

I hardlt eat my main meal anyway :P *hehe*

I hope you were joking about this, because if you're not eating properly you may be experiencing low blood sugar which would certainly make you space out when you are trying to write an exam. Just a thought. Meditation is a good way to get centered.
Anyway good luck Tears-of-Sanity.

moon.

Tears-of-Sanity
since 2007-09-05
Posts 121
Kingdom Hearts
7 posted 2007-10-07 01:12 PM

Thank you!

It is not that I don't eat... I just don't eat a lot.  I like chocolates, but I am somehow very sensitive to the cafeine and that keeps me awake all night, even if I ate it like 5 hours before bedtime.  Coffee is for adults, which I deny being one :P

I thank you for your concern, but I guess I'll let go for now, because my exams are over... I have had a few done well, and 2 that are not so good, but my proffessors keep telling me that I have to try harder and that they are disappointed and that I was better before... which by itself is annoying.

Tears of Sanity~

moondogz
since 2007-05-01
Posts 397
Great White North
8 posted 2007-10-11 12:34 PM

Hey, here's something Beverley (my wife) stumbled across awhile ago that I can really relate to....see what you think.
http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm

moon.

Tears-of-Sanity
since 2007-09-05
Posts 121
Kingdom Hearts
9 posted 2007-10-13 06:53 AM

I took those questions by my psychology teacher a while ago and my score was about 20 or 21.. I don't really remember!!

She told me that it is obvious that I am a sensitive person,  but that is not the main reason for being anxious during exams.  

The fact that I have been even more sensitive during childhood but less nervous in exams is the evidence, or so she said!!

Anyway, that is so kind of you to try and help me with all means!  I really appreciate it and I am trying hard to fight the anxiety in me by my self now!  I somehow feel like I will be able to do it if I put my mind into it

Thank you again

L.W.~

Tears of Sanity~

moondogz
since 2007-05-01
Posts 397
Great White North
10 posted 2007-10-13 03:44 PM

I wish I knew the one word to say, so that no one would ever have to suffer or be afraid again....then I'd say it.
Tears-of-Sanity
since 2007-09-05
Posts 121
Kingdom Hearts
11 posted 2007-10-15 01:48 PM

That secret word, I believe, is....\

((SMILE))  no matter what no matter how.  Smiling help in any situaion. I use that sometimes to calm myself down...

Maybe others should  try it... or so i believe.

Whenever feeling bad in any way, all we have to do is smile, even a bitter smile would help.  

That was the only way I had found helpful... so I believe the magic word is (SMILE)     

i love smiles, and I love peace... if only I could join them together and spread them all over people to make everyone feel better.  

Tears of Sanity~

moondogz
since 2007-05-01
Posts 397
Great White North
12 posted 2007-10-15 02:52 PM

Very well put Tears-of-Sanity, I think one leads to the other. Beverley and I often bike through the ravine park system, I like biking behind Beverley because she has such a wonderful smile...when we meet folks going in the opposite direction I reap the benefit of peoples reaction...

Tears-of-Sanity
since 2007-09-05
Posts 121
Kingdom Hearts
13 posted 2007-10-22 03:03 AM

Tears of Sanity~

eternally_singing
since 2007-12-18
Posts 123
PA, United States
14 posted 2007-12-23 01:29 AM

I know exactly what you are going through with exams. I am currently going through it with my AP tests. Before the test I know the material backwards and forwards, but during the test I would panic and put down as much information as possible (completely the wrong thing to do!). After having this occur a few times I finally talked with my teacher and she said all I need to do is relax and it might help if I did a few brief breathing exercises before the test began. She also helped to review the material with me, which resulted in me being more confident in my work thus enabling me to do better.
So next time you have exams you might want to talk to a teacher or a parent or even a friend. With a friend you can form a study group. Sometimes this can help you become more confident that you absolutely know the material which hopefully will help you overcome EXAM-SYNDROM

Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be EVIL!

Tears-of-Sanity
since 2007-09-05
Posts 121
Kingdom Hearts
15 posted 2007-12-23 07:00 AM

I am happy to hear that you got over your issue   I tried this way and many other ways... believe me when I form a study group I am always the one explaining things to my friends.  My Proffessor heard me doing a mini test questions to my friends and when I went through the exam I was shocked that most of what I asked my friends was there on the question sheet.  My friends went @@ and thought I had a peek on the exam paper or got them online and so.  That was not true though... I was able to predict most of the questions.  Those questions were not written in the text book, or even said in class, I made them up and told them the answers.  They got high grades amongst the other students thanks to these questions and the Prof. called me to his office right after he exam and asked me where I got the questions from.  I told him that it is the way I study and showed him my drafts a a proof.  He told me that he expects great deal out of me and that sort of words, and then... He was shocked to know that all the questions that I had asked were answered wrong on my answer sheets.  I got the lowest grades in class and when he asked me why, I told him that I went anxious and couldn't understand the questions.  That is a sample of what happens, and high grades are important for me to continue with my scholarship.  I need them and I work hard for that, butI couldn't get them!!

I am sorry to have you dragged with my issues.. I guess I have to figure it out myself.  Thank you for sharing your opinion and trying to help me, it was really appreciated.  

I am about to start my finals, and my first exam is on December 27th.  I have exams on 29th, 30th, and 31st. as well.  I ask whoever goes through this post to wish me luck and hope that I do great.  I have been studying for 3 weeks continuously now... and I wasn't able to spend time with dad who came all the way from our hometown just to spend our Feast with me.  

Thank you in advance and thanks for your concerns!!

L.W.~

Tears of Sanity~

eternally_singing
since 2007-12-18
Posts 123
PA, United States
16 posted 2007-12-23 02:29 PM

I hope you figure out how to overcome the anxiety. We are all rooting for you to do well!
Tears-of-Sanity
since 2007-09-05
Posts 121
Kingdom Hearts
17 posted 2007-12-25 07:07 AM

Thank you very much!!  

Tears of Sanity~

Jaki H
since 2008-01-19
Posts 232
NJ, USA
18 posted 2008-01-23 09:52 PM

oh wow... thats like me!!!! im only 15, but i always try to sneak a little something to eat before a big test. nothing that will leave a bad taste, but just something to get your mind working.

im also not sure if this is yet another sign of what my friends and guidence counciler call ocd, but i always pray and wear about a billion lucky items. I wear 10 ancient egyptian necklaces, my lucky shakespeare socks, my lucky bracelet, and use my lucky pencil. even if your not as into it as i am, having a lucky item may insure confidence.
oh, and try to breath, and dont go in feeling like you know the outcome already. just work your way through question by question.
circle anything your not positive on, and if you have extra time go back and look at it because you may remember it later.

Jaki H
since 2008-01-19
Posts 232
NJ, USA
19 posted 2008-01-23 09:56 PM

haha! next to everyone elses great advice, i sound like a lunatic! sorry bout that!!!! i swear, though, have something to give you confidence.

oh G-d i sounded like i was some kinda crazy lucky charm person... sorry!

Tears-of-Sanity
since 2007-09-05
Posts 121
Kingdom Hearts
20 posted 2008-01-30 10:44 PM

Thank you!
ou don't sound weird or lunatic at all. It is just the way you think perhaps.
As long as you get the desired outcome I think it is ok! hehe...

I have made up some luck charm myself, while I have the seat next to my best friend, whenever I am anxious, I put my hand on the drawing of a flower I had on both our desks and asked her to put her hand whenever she notices mine, and so luck would flow through that flower drawing from her to me!  It is stupid, this one, but I just thought about it before exam. It didn't work, but heh! as long as I pass with GPA above 3.5, WHO CARES!!  I got 3.75 this semester =)  

Thank you for your support, and I wanted to tell you that our exams are not those of MCQs, they are the french type where you have to write everything  you know about something,, or something like that.  We have an MCQ question, but that goes for like 20% of the total grade!!.

Tears of Sanity~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Exam?!!!!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary