navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » work
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic work Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Savage Quiescence
since 2002-07-29
Posts 326
Wandering

0 posted 2005-01-31 08:19 PM

Hey, all. I'm back to job hunting, again, and this time I'm feeling picky. I don't want to go back to fast food or hostessing, so I was hoping for some ideas. I'm going to try to go to the unemployment office tomorrow so they can help me out, but any ideas would be appreciated. I would love something I could do at home, like typing documents. I'll be 18 in March, but I'm still in school and need something that will provide some flexibility.

Thanks
Alicia

www.livejournal.com/users/alimakins

© Copyright 2005 Alicia Morris - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2005-01-31 09:48 PM

Actually, while in college, aside from working at the school library and the cafeteria as a dish monkey, my roommate and I managed a pretty good income from typing papers.  We were totally cutthoat though, undercutting the lowest price out there by 50 cents.  At the time, in the early 90's, we charged $1/page, free corrections, and if the paper you paid us for typing was rife with errors when we handed it to you, it was free.  I had just bought a $300 word processor and paid for it within 2 weeks.

Other things are gonna be what you hear others tell ya: find something you like doing.  I'm looking for work right now as well, and since I really do enjoy figuring out taxes and number crunching, I'm going to hit up the local tax prep shops and see if I can't land work.

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
2 posted 2005-02-01 05:24 PM

Do you have any medical terminology or medical billing experience?  You can take a course in that and make good money doing data entry and dictation from home.  I used to do that, the only other thing is becoming used to whatever software the office is using.  
Savage Quiescence
since 2002-07-29
Posts 326
Wandering
3 posted 2005-02-01 08:16 PM

Hey, you two, thanks for replying. As for writing papers, I know this sounds selfish, but I don't think I could ever write something and allow someone else to get credit for it, unless it is a favor to someone who really needs the help (like if a computer crashes or something, because I'm quick, so I rock).

I don't have any training, but that is certainly a thought. It looks like I am going to have to get a "normal" job, for which I am going to Work One tomorrow. An at-home job would be a nice supplement income, though.

Obviously in a rambly mood,
Alicia

www.livejournal.com/users/alimakins

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » work

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary