navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » The Memory of Running
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Memory of Running Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2005-01-10 09:55 PM

a recently published novel, by Ron McClarty (methinks) almost never got out of the gate.

I read in a magazine article (Entertainment Weekly again) that this guy has been writing devotedly for years and remained unpublished, until...

He offered up his novel as an audio,(he is also an actor and did that himself) and somewhere out there...Stephen King's CD player skipped. As the story tells, (I am paraphrasing obviously) our hero Steve then yelled, "NO! You can't do this to me!" and out of his frustration to actually read the novel the old fashioned way he contacted some publishers.

I haven't yet read the novel, but I like Mr. McClarty already, because, as stated in EW's article, he asked the now-hungry publishers if they were only interested in it because of Stephen King's interest, and if it were truly good, why were his previous attempts at publishing ignored?

(Good question, huh? I'd have asked too.)

But one editor assured him (ASSURED?) that publishers simply don't read unknown authors past a certain age, because of financial reasons. (They gamble on getting a few years -and several novels - out of the author before the, um, natural expiration date.)

So...

This leads me to a few questions.

Do you think it would be wiser for someone, who is, shall we say, a few chinny-chin-chin hairs older than the average aspirant to assume a pen name as well as, er...lie 'bout your age?

Also, this relates as well to my questions of simply how wise it is to post work on the internet.
I've heard a million times (shrug, give or take a grand) that ideas - conversation, situations, repartee' - are particularly difficult to protect by copyright - therefore, anyone serious about writing (correction: PUBLISHING) should not post work on the internet.

But, if there is a certain disadvantage to well, arriving to the party late, do you think a bit of self-promotion via the internet would balance the scales a bit, or no?

And as for Ron McClarty? He said they needn't have worried about getting more from him - he's sitting on ten more manuscripts ready to go.

(and feel free to offer up corrections folks, I can't find the site that offers the article online, I lost the mag, and my browser is behaving badly too--that short term memory loss thing can be a real problem sometimes)

© Copyright 2005 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2005-01-11 02:06 PM

I'll need to look up McClarty's age...
because I'm certainly in the chinney-chin-chin stage...

For myself, I'm sure it was just the luck of it all...

And I feel that must be, because they must have asked my age several times over on their various forms...

and I'm certainly not sitting on 10 other manuscripts!  [Just three...]

Very interesting, Serenity...I'm going to delve into this a bit more...

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2005-01-11 02:08 PM

http://www.bookinformation.co.uk/books.php4?action=2&authoid=791

Well, you weren't dreaming, m'dear...

Also spelled McLarty...born in 1947...he's not THAT old...

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2005-01-11 02:20 PM

http://www.simonsays.com/content/content.cfm?sid=33&pid=360996
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2005-01-11 03:06 PM

LOL

I wasn't trying to imply that you were old Miss Sunshine.

It just never occurred to me that, writing, like other professions, might have an age considered a window of opportunity. (Modeling, football players, and there are others I'm sure that face this reality)

So don't get your knickers in a snit granny!

You see that stuff in my hair in my pic?

That ain't SHINE, honey, it's GRAY.

So don't sweat it, kiddie, or I'll swat you with my cane. (I happen to have one of those too.)

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2005-01-11 03:22 PM

Honey, you can imply anything you want...it's probably TRUE...

As my husband keeps reminding me...I'm OLD...

however, my lovely youngest daughter disagrees...she WISHES I would start looking older....

Regardless, I would love to see that article or parts thereof...because I had never heard anything about age being a deterrent toward an "unknown" and yet, it makes a bit of sense.  [Not much, just a bit].

And don't use the cane, baby...just use a soft pillow...I'm already sore enough...

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
6 posted 2005-01-11 03:28 PM

Yo, Feria #56 is nice..some kickin' red in it, or if you are a bit more conservative #45 is a nice dark brown...

I do so love to be helpful.

"cast me gently into the morning, for the night has been unkind"
~Sarah McLachlan~

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2005-01-11 03:31 PM

That's our Susan...
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2005-01-11 04:33 PM

gleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

y'see?

y'just gotta love this place!

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2005-01-11 06:01 PM

Here's the article, written by Gregory Kirschling:
http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1014938_5_0_,00.html

and after digging around a bit, I found this recommendation in the archives written by Stephen King--

(and there is even an audio excerpt from the novel!)

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,484759_5_0_,00.html

"The Pop of King" Entertainment Weekly

Now, somebody applaud please.

Karen did research!

(and btw, you may be limited in what you can read if you are not a subscriber, or an AOL  member)

The AOL keyword is EW--and I think this week's code word for access is "oscarnights" for newstand readers.

And btw, I obviously recommend the mag--not only is it informative, but well, it's ENTERTAINING.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2005-01-12 08:44 AM

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
11 posted 2005-01-12 10:38 AM

you guys are something else..
thanks for the laughs this morning

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

12 posted 2005-01-12 02:46 PM

Hey Granny Sunshine?

Try logging into EW with the code word "oscartime".

Karen did research--but with one little glitch...go figger.

and hugs Raph.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
13 posted 2005-01-12 03:25 PM

limited indeed.

Just when I was getting into the story I get something that goes like this (and I am paraphrasing):

"You! The one that dares to defy!!  We know you don't have AOL and guess what?  You want to read the rest of this you are going to have to sign your little arse up!!  Hop to it!!!"

I didn't get to finish the story....

~Sarah McLachlan~

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
14 posted 2005-01-12 03:32 PM

You've got to be kidding!  Talk about "spyware..."  LOL...

Karen?  I was "this close" to ordering the book today...

but I didn't know what I wanted for a second book [to get the free shipping, you know how scarce pennies are...]

but now I'm going to go home and find a second book just to read IT, and not someone else's review...

LOL...

But dang, this one looks good.  Who knows, it might spark yet another idea....right?

Right!

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

15 posted 2005-01-12 05:21 PM

Susan?

Check your e mail.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
16 posted 2005-01-12 08:29 PM

Thank you lady!!!

~Sarah McLachlan~

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
17 posted 2005-01-30 09:44 PM

I finished the book tonight and I loved it! I highly recommend it to everyone. And I got it because I read about it here..thanks!!!

(Also just finished John Grisham's latest 'The Broker' which was good. I'm reading Dean Koontz and James Patterson now).

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

18 posted 2005-01-30 10:05 PM

It's on my "must read" list.

amazing, isn't it?

The stories just waiting to be told...

Love you lady.

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

19 posted 2005-02-01 11:15 AM

my girlfriend called last night and she was so excited about The Memory of Running...
Now before you start laughing, didn't read all the entries above...so if I reapeat myself, please forgive a somewhat grey haired woman...K? hehe

Anyway, she told me, no one would purchase the script to publish, then Steven King somehow got hold of the script and read the book.  He loved it  and did an outstanding review, and that's how it got started?????...she loved the book...and also recommends...Lonely Bones?  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » The Memory of Running

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary