navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » It's the most wonderful time.. of the..um.. four years!
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic It's the most wonderful time.. of the..um.. four years! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

0 posted 2004-07-31 01:51 PM

Everyone everywhere, every restraunt, every street corner, only two words..

Bush.. Kerry.. Bush.. Kerry..

I enjoy political debate.. but it's kinda scary when those words are the last to go through my head when I go to sleep..

That may be because I leave FoxNews on when I sleep though!

(You may that that that's what explains my right-leaning views! lol)

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

© Copyright 2004 Erica N. - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2004-07-31 02:16 PM

I try and stay away from all mainstream media, though I tune in occasionally just so I see what they're yapping about so I can understand their arguments in making my own more effective.

With the way media deregulation has tarnished diversity in news, journalism and availability, I'm desperately trying to find the independent outlets out there. In addition, I wish I had a satellite uplink so I can get news from around the globe in understanding their points of view.

"Democracy Now!" is one great news outlet I've found, which Amy Goodman hosts. They air it in about 250 outlets via Free Speech TV. "TV Set" is also pretty decent. And I also tune into BBC Radio once in a while, so, though they're obviously mainstream also, I get some international appeal.

And, yes, wherever you go you indeed hear that same pandemonium. And I wouldn't be suprised if this election turnout is among the highest-percentage ones in our nation's history.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"You'll find something that's enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don't receive you
You should turn yourself around and come back home" MB20

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
2 posted 2004-07-31 02:20 PM

I watch Fox and CNN and local news, all of 'em.  I spend a lot of time watching Fox, mostly for a weird sort of entertainment and, I guess, just to see how far the rigid right can take it -- we need to know what's going on after all.  lol
Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
3 posted 2004-07-31 02:22 PM

Actually I love fox,

I Think the media is fantastic resource for information, but part of it is also taking the time to do some research. I watch the news all of the time.weather its care 11 or Cable fox news, It doesn't matter to me. The important thing is to learn about fallacies so you know them when you hear them, and you know better. This reminds me of the time I dreamed of being a ghost buster- I left the casset in....... Hehe

Juju

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
4 posted 2004-07-31 02:51 PM

Researching is very important, especially in an accelerating de-regulated media environment. That is why I'm forced to keep performing switchbacks between independent and mainstream outlets.

While Fox News is certainly not "fair and balanced" whatsoever like all other mainstream outlets, it does serve a purpose. To understand the opinions of the polar opposites of the media and see the comparisons in how they address the news. So Fox News, for instance, works as a kind of reference guide to one side while Air America may be for the other side.

This summer I have seen an increasing number of people get fed up with their watered-down, Slim-Fast media and yearn for independent media outlets in their communities. Salem, Oregon just got one, Spokeane, Washington just got one, and near Lexington, Kentucky they also got a new one there. I'm proud to see this happening and soon hopefully more and more will be informed in more alternative or independent options.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"You'll find something that's enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don't receive you
You should turn yourself around and come back home" MB20

Susan
Member Ascendant
since 2004-03-27
Posts 5104
walking the surreal
5 posted 2004-07-31 05:44 PM

I'm an NPR woman myself, radio that is.  I stay away from TV news -- too skewed and biased.  

As far as Bush - Kerry, I'll go out on a limb here and say, hey, ever heard of the Green Party?  Libertarians?  The Constitutional?  There are more than 2 parties.  You need not vote for Bush or Kerry.  Choices are available.  But if everyone is scared to move out of the mainstream, then how will its course ever change?

Signed -- this flamin' independant
  Susan

Happiness isn't something that happens to you, it's created from within you.  Joy is a state of mind.

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

6 posted 2004-07-31 07:29 PM

I'm actually registered as an Indy as well... no specific party.. so I guess I'm truely independent, lol!

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » It's the most wonderful time.. of the..um.. four years!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary