navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Ups and downs
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Ups and downs Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
2writeis2be
since 2004-01-11
Posts 45
Live in London, but from TX

0 posted 2004-01-17 04:38 PM

I'm posting this b/c I feel frustrated. I have written many a poem in my time, but somehow the surge of ideas and the urge to write has dissipated. I still enjoy reading others work, but just can't come up with stuff like I used to. Has this happened to any of you, where you had a good run for awhile and then all of a sudden, you can't think of what to jot down? Some people have told me they've had years where they didn't want/have anything to write. Would like to hear about some of your experiences so I don't feel so bad for myself..haha. It is really annoying me--I just wanna get back into the swing of things and add more poems to my collection!
© Copyright 2004 Lisa Somerset - All Rights Reserved
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

1 posted 2004-01-17 06:03 PM

I just recently went for 2 years without writing a syllable and then a couple of weeks ago I wrote one. Don't feel anymore coming on. It can be frustrating when you want to write and the well is dry.

My advice? Don't worry about it. Just live life. When it happens, it happens.

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
2 posted 2004-01-17 07:34 PM

I hear ya !!  I have little bits and pieces come to me. If I don't write them down right away.....they're gone. But, lately, even when I do write them down, I look and look and study the words....and think.....WHAT WAS I THINKGING???!!!
  You cananot force art no matter what form it is. That I know for sure. Sit still, in the quiet and ask your muse to please help you. Sometimes the little rascals are just playing around somewhere. LOL. Take care, Chris/Nightshade

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2004-01-17 08:00 PM

Dry spells are good.  It's that time when your muse is telling you to be more observant, listen with that inner ear, mentally be aware of all that is around you that you previously didn't see when the muse was taking over your hand.

It's a good thing.

It's a gathering phase.

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
4 posted 2004-01-17 11:26 PM

Lisa- The dry spells have happened to ALL of us at one point or another. I would have to agree with Sunshine and tell you that the "block" is very simply your mind telling you that you are not ready to write... take some time to smell whatever it is you wish to smell, and absorb influences from everything around you. Don't force the issue.. unless you write for a living, take your time. You will know when it is time to write again.

Cause in my dreams it's always there
The evil face that twists my mind
And brings me to despair.

2writeis2be
since 2004-01-11
Posts 45
5 posted 2004-01-18 02:29 PM

Yes, you're all right..but it's still damn frustrating...lol. Helps to know we all suffer from it at one time or another. Suppose I'll just have to be patient and wait for some ideas to show themselves. But being a totally impatient person, this is hard.

"Why don't you try and learn from my mistakes? It takes half a lifetime to learn from your own."

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2004-01-18 03:05 PM

LOL...the minute you get about 10 miles from your pen, the ideas will start flowing.  Trust me!
2writeis2be
since 2004-01-11
Posts 45
7 posted 2004-01-21 02:48 PM

well i've been away from my pen for awhile now and nothing's happening. Darnit!!! The hand is willing to write, shame the brain isn't willing to think  

[This message has been edited by Ron (01-21-2004 08:34 PM).]

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

8 posted 2004-01-21 02:50 PM

I would suggest... that the eyes be employed to not just look, but to learn to see..

it is amazing what we miss when we do not look

2writeis2be
since 2004-01-11
Posts 45
9 posted 2004-01-21 03:07 PM

But I do look, do see...do all of that. And for a long time my writing flourished. My dad, also a writer, has had years of on and off composition. But me being impatient and wanting what I want now, I don't like this lingering limbo

[This message has been edited by Ron (01-21-2004 08:34 PM).]

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
10 posted 2004-01-21 07:28 PM

Lisa... When I first started here, I was averaging a new scribble every other day. Now,I haev written maybe 5 in the past two months, I would guess... Worrying about it has caused my brains to congeal even worse than they were before. What I have decided to do is to not even think about writing, really... I still read the ones on here, and I inadvertantly learn from them... and I continue to read novels, and listen to music, and play with my kids, and I ahve even begun to take time to sit on the porch and watch the world shivver past. I don't know if it's gonna work, or not, however, I fully invite you to join me on the porch, to see if it might pay off.

Cause in my dreams it's always there
The evil face that twists my mind
And brings me to despair.

2writeis2be
since 2004-01-11
Posts 45
11 posted 2004-01-22 05:56 PM

"I don't know if it's gonna work, or not, however, I fully invite you to join me on the porch, to see if it might pay off."

Ringo, guess I'll have ta try sitting on the porch then aye(?), though I'm 23 and have been watching the world shiver by for awhile now already.

Here's a memory that often bugs me and I've often put it down to why my writing took a wrong turn:
When I was in highschool, I took a creative writing course and to be quite honest, I never wrote poetry as well after taking that class. In fact, it put me off writing so much that I skipped most of the classes and my teacher--only because he thought I had talent--talked the higher ups into not failing me for the semester. Before taking that class, I enjoyed writing and things came to mind quickly and without effort. But I'd have thought I would have thrived from that class because they all loved my work, specially the teacher--everyone said they feared reading their poem after I'd read mine because they then wouldn't meet expectations. Anyway, whether it's just a stage that passes, or I've nothing to write about I don't know. All I know is, before that class in highschool I wrote like crazy. And for years now, afterwards, I write a few poems a year. Something's gotta give for why that happened! Who knows. I know one can't force themselves to write and it comes when it comes, but I want it to come like it used to before it left!  

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
12 posted 2004-01-22 10:36 PM

it comes and goes, usually with no apparent reasons. Then when I want it the most, always seems to be when it skips me and takes a vacation.
And then when I want to focus on something is when it's there and active, buzzing my brain with words and rhymes, tunes and tones.

It just takes patience, always be ready... but cherish the moments too when it is gone. You can see things. Things that you never saw before.
   patience is a virture m'dear!

Always, Alyssa

He was a man of sorrows
...I am a girl of tears.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Ups and downs

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary