navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Favorite things?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Favorite things? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania

0 posted 2003-07-21 10:14 PM

My mom wants me to come over soon and look through some old boxes from when I was a child.  As she was cleaning she found the doll house my dad built me when I was 6.  It got me to think of some of the favorite things I had growing up, and I wondered what was some of your favorite things you had as you were growing up.  Anyone want to share?

I had many things I liked, from the blanket I refused to give up until it started to get so ratty that it couldn't be identified anymore. To the doll house my mother found, now that I am older I really wish I didn't poke out all the little plastic windows. But what can I say?  I was 6 and it was too tempting.  

I really wish I didn't throw away the original ET audio cassette and my matchbox cars.. DANG! now there worth money.  Anyhoo, what were some of your favorite things growing up.?  

[This message has been edited by Miah (07-21-2003 10:16 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 J.B - All Rights Reserved
Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
1 posted 2003-07-21 11:13 PM

Alright. I had this stupid green egg with a suction cup on the bottom of it so I could suction cup it to a table (or another convienent surface such as my forhead ). We've got pictures of me with that thing crammed inside my mouth. That thing wasn't little either!
I had one of those fisher price pretend vaccums too... the ones that popped a bunch of plastic balls inside a dome so that it made the coolest noise... that was a gift from my aunt LOL.
My bike. I was happening on that thing, I took that thing everywhere   
Gawd I was cute

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
2 posted 2003-07-21 11:54 PM

Skyfire,

My mom didn't want to give me a toy vaccum cleaner, she thought it would instill in me that I had to be a house wife.   

BUT she did get me the cute little kitchenette, go figure??? LOL and I eventually became that house wife!

Jaime
Registered
Posts 250

3 posted 2003-07-22 03:07 AM

I don't remember ever feeling any attachment to any objects as a child. I never had a favourite blanket or toy. I did have an obsession with cats though.

Normally anything of importance to me existed in my head. I didn't seem to ever click with people so I had a very active imagination to keep me company. Sometimes the line between reality and dreams blurred - one morning I woke up almost sure that I was pregnant (I was 6 or 7).

Oh yeah... trees.. trees were important. I named them and talked to them often.

the faeries creep into my hair at night leaving it in terrible knots

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
4 posted 2003-07-22 05:34 AM

LOL I had the charlie's angels barbie dolls - they were sooo cool in their different colored pantsuits and Farrahs huge hair.  I also had the bionic woman where you could open her arms up and see circuits and her one bionic eye . . . and the six million dollar man too.  

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
5 posted 2003-07-22 10:40 AM

Jaime,

I had an over active imagination, at least that is what my mom said.  I can remember one time I started to dig in the dirt by my house.  I saw something red, I swore right then and there I dug a hole straight to hell.   Then my mom called me to dinner before I could Investigate any further.  When I got back the hole had gone... lol Mind you, the hole was only big enough to fit an index finger in....LOL

littlewing,

heheh.  Do you still have any of those dolls, I bet they are worth a bit of money now.  My mom use to buy me collective dolls, told me to never open them.. Yeah right, poor barbie had her close off by the end of the day, and new ones put on.  Oh well, what can I say.

IcyFlamez89
since 2003-02-14
Posts 292
Jersey City NJ
6 posted 2003-07-22 12:50 PM

My panda bear. It was nearly in all of my baby pictures, me hugging it so tightly. My legos were another. I had to give them both up, though, when I moved to the US. I hope Mr. Fuzzy is still around, making someone else smile.
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
7 posted 2003-07-22 03:30 PM

Believe it or not, my favorite thing from my chilhood was (and is) my teddy bear. I got the thing when it was bigger than I and I still have it. It was in a fire about 10 years ago and got smoke damaged. When it got washed it became more threadbear, and the nose had to be resewn, and it needed surgery to fix the spots where the seems opemed... and I was heartbroken. Mom fixed it (or should I say Mommy?) and he is in almost as good shape as before. Teddy is my Velvetine Rabbit.

We see the light of those
Who find the world has passed them by
Too late to save a dream from growing cold...

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
8 posted 2003-07-22 04:33 PM

I would have to say that my most favorite item from my childhood is my teddy bear (which I still have), I got it before I was born and although it has been neglected at times It is still the bestest thing I have.
Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling
9 posted 2003-07-23 12:15 PM

I once won...the entire star wars collection from kenner toys.My mortage company wishes I still owned it.

Jason

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
10 posted 2003-07-23 12:48 PM

Hey i have the ET book but lost the cassette..hmm favourite things.My Tonka Jeep loved that thing..and my marbles..i lost those along time ago

Jason you lost them sold them??? What's the matter with you!! lol

[This message has been edited by Aenimal (07-23-2003 12:49 AM).]

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

11 posted 2003-07-23 12:57 PM

My bone china miniture horse collection which was started at 7 ... and I still have.

My 45-record collection ...
The Archies...
Tommy James and the Shondells
Paul Revere and the Raiders  

My bike with a transistor radio on the handle bars.
(remember when there was only AM stations.)

All the kittens we had as pets.

Any one have a Jane West Doll and her horse? LOL
Remember Midge when she had freckles?

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
12 posted 2003-07-23 02:14 AM

Man...talk about a blast from the past.  The E.T. movies, and Sue's bionic woman and million dollar man....yep those were great toys for sure.

My favorite was my sit-and-spin, and my Barbie collection, along with the Strawberry Shortcake clan, and my favorite was my Maguai (I think that how you spell it),,,you remember...that is what it was before you fed it after midnight or got it wet...then it was a Gremlin!!!!

Thanks Miah, for the memories!

Mick Hawkes
since 2000-10-26
Posts 90
Tees-side , England
13 posted 2003-07-23 03:23 AM

The greatest thing I have from my childhood is it's memories. Priceless & irreplaceable!...........

Never take life too seriously - None of us gets out alive!

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
14 posted 2003-07-23 09:18 AM

My favorite things I can recall are one of those little things that you can push or pull and it has a bunch of little balls in it and it sounds like a popcorn popper, and a hobby horse that had real squeaky springs and I loved to aggravate my step dad with it. Needless to say, there wasn't much love lost there. LOL I can still to this day (40 years later) hear him yelling to knock off the noise.
gemjop
Member Elite
since 2002-11-18
Posts 2587
Pencilveinia, USA
15 posted 2003-07-23 10:35 AM

aaaargh! strawberry shortcake! I had a pink strawberry shortcake pram.

tiny tears dolls.

my a la carte kitchen, ha seriously, thats what it was called, if a la carte means dry pasta and sand, then yes. I can remember the advert for it, and the girl was serving her mum and dad breakfast in bed..hot beans! i was never allowed to live out my baked bean fantasy.

Lego! nuff said.

Instant karma's gonna get you.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
16 posted 2003-07-23 03:30 PM

I was a bit spoiled until that little sister came along and ruined all my fun.  But until then;

Easy Bake Oven (only played with at certain times, thanks Mom!)
My Barbies (Ken was missing a foot from a tragic dog fight, but Barbie didn't mind, I had them in bed all the time...I was a sick kid)
Army Dudes-the little green ones.  Me and my uncle (he was 2 yrs older than me) would play "army" for hours.  My "men" even bathed in the bathroom sink

Susan C.

gemjop
Member Elite
since 2002-11-18
Posts 2587
Pencilveinia, USA
17 posted 2003-07-23 03:47 PM

lol, susan. poor ken , ohhhhh got me giggling.

Instant karma's gonna get you.

[This message has been edited by gemjop (07-23-2003 04:32 PM).]

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
18 posted 2003-07-23 04:27 PM

Oh yeah Susan the army guys..vs the evil death ray(magnifying glass)
Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

19 posted 2003-07-23 06:39 PM

oodles of
noodles and poddles and
yoodles and whatever else
ends with that...blah blahblahblah
these are a few of my favorite things

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
20 posted 2003-07-24 02:49 PM

OMGish Susan, I loved my Easy bake oven.  my poor dad didn't though...he got very sick of all those cupcakes.  

You all had some neat stuff...I am glad I still kept a few of the things my parents got me.  But if I ever have kids....I will keep everything.  

skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
21 posted 2003-07-24 08:46 PM

My absolute favorite childhood toy was my stuffed Winnie-the-Pooh that I carried with me everywhere. When I was about 2 years old or so I even had my pictures taken with him. I was also crazy about anything pink. My mom used to knit afghans, so when I was 5 she made one for me in three different shades of pink. I still have it on my bed--I think I've slept with it every night since I got it! I was a child of the '80s so I loved the Care Bears too. I had Cheer Bear and Love-a-lot, and my sister had Funshine Bear and Grumpy Bear. Also I had a red hoodie that I wore almost every single day for a while.

~Elizabeth

Dreams last for so long, even after you're gone...
~Jewel

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
22 posted 2003-07-25 03:37 AM

Hey, JM...I think you and I would have gotten
along great when we were kids.  
My favorite things from back then?...

My Breyer horse collection...still have some of it.  

My bike...girl's Schwinn Stingray...purple.
It had the little fringie things on the handle bars
and came with a basket on it...but I took the basket off,
and being the tomboy that I was, I flew over the jumps at
the dirt track by my house ...with all the BOYS! LOL  
They had it a bit easier than I did though...their bikes had SHOCKS!  LOL!

And...last but not least...my Panasonic portable
record player...still have it...still works! ...and my
record collection...some music, some stories.  
My favorite story record?..Black Beauty.  

[This message has been edited by vlraynes (07-25-2003 03:40 AM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Favorite things?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary