navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » what's your motivation?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic what's your motivation? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
tonia
since 2003-06-13
Posts 41
taiwan

0 posted 2003-06-16 12:56 PM

i've been quite a slacker recently...not getting anything done,and not being very productive. does anyone of you have the same problem? what's your motivation to study? and how do you concentrate?

© Copyright 2003 tonia - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2003-06-16 07:16 AM

Knowledge... simply "knowing" something I didn't know yesterday... something new each and every day...
tonia
since 2003-06-13
Posts 41
taiwan
2 posted 2003-06-16 07:47 AM

thanks,Nan!! i asked my brother the same question, he actually told me that his motivation is just to get good grades on his test.
Paula Finn
Member Ascendant
since 2000-06-17
Posts 5546
missouri
3 posted 2003-06-16 12:17 PM

Speaking as someone who has just started college(after being out of school for 30 years) I'd have to say my biggest motivation just knowing what I have and will accomplish. Its not easy being the oldest one in the classroom. But the kids haven't treated me any differently than they do each other so that helps a lot. For a young person...try using this...walk in to a fast food restuarant...is the person behind the counter who you want to be ten years from now? Twenty? I know I'm on a bandwagon here, but education is the key to a better you. Even if you arent sure who or what you want to be, even just getting the basics out of the way helps. Sorry
tonia
since 2003-06-13
Posts 41
taiwan
4 posted 2003-06-17 12:39 PM

Paula Finn...
I believe you will be able to achive all your goals. I think my motivation is once again activated! thanks for your reply, best luck to you!
tonia

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
5 posted 2003-06-17 03:28 AM

I agree with Nan mostly.  Education - not a degree, but a real education is a wonderful thing.

I can honestly say that I am a fairly intelligent person.  I'm quick witted, grasp things well and learn easily.  I went into the Army after highschool and life took over from there.  After 15 years I returned to school. My first class in my first semester was Philosophy 101, I thought I would be bored silly.

What I found was that I was learning things I had only cursory knowledge of before. Suddenly I began to understand references to ideas that I had never fully grasped. Movies I had enjoyed made more sense, books became so much more enjoyable, because I was learning the concepts behind much of what I was seeing and reading.

The more education I recieved the better the flavor became of everything I was involved in.  My degree means little to me, it was the education I recieved in getting that degree that was of value.

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
Nil Desperandum, Fata viem invenient

tonia
since 2003-06-13
Posts 41
taiwan
6 posted 2003-06-17 04:50 AM

JP,
wow, i really admire your strong volition to study and learn.  you're right about being able to understand more materials as you study and understand more concepts, i will work hard to attain that field, too.
tonia

IcyFlamez89
since 2003-02-14
Posts 292
Jersey City NJ
7 posted 2003-06-17 03:23 PM

Motivation gets you going, but i find myself in a rut most of the time. I don't study AT ALL and my grades are still in the high honors. I often ask myself why I continue keeping my grades up, because I don't do it for me. I realized it's reputation and appearances. I do it because I'm expected to. I excel because others demand it, and that's why my heart isn't on many of the things I do anymore. I'm tired of expectations, but I don't want my reputation marred from underachieving. Poetry and art are the only things that I do with passion. I'm not expected, or forced, to do it and so I enjoy it more than all the monotonous things I do. Knowing this is what my heart loves, knowing that this is of my own will and no one else's, this is the feeling that helps me continue to write. Though I haven't written poetry in a while, I still write actively, especially in my Xanga. So I am motivated to write and draw. I do my classwork and homework because it's a boring part of my routine

[This message has been edited by IcyFlamez89 (06-17-2003 03:25 PM).]

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
8 posted 2003-06-17 03:45 PM

My motivation?
The big stick I think that awaits me at the end of my road...that will hit me for NOT doing all the things on my 'I-want-to- do-list' in spite of being given multiple opportunities.
Yep, it's that big stick at the end of the road, the one I hope to keep under my control.

Bec
since 2001-02-23
Posts 475
Canberra
9 posted 2003-06-18 07:39 AM

i've just finished study at university, after three and a half years. the thing that kept me going was my goal to be a journalist, and that's what's going to keep me going when i start looking for work after i get my results in july.

my family was totally supportive of me, even when huge personal dramas threatened my study, and my sanity, so they were my motivation too.

Bec

"Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is to go where they can find you."
-Winnie-the-Pooh

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

10 posted 2003-06-18 04:13 PM

Well, knowing I have to have a B average to keep my scholarship is good motivation to me..

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

NickTofteland
since 2003-06-13
Posts 74
MN, USA
11 posted 2003-06-18 07:05 PM

Motivation? How bout inspiration... my older brother (whom I very much try and model my life after)... always reached for that next rung on his ladder and I think that is what pushed me to make my way through college. After graduating from college, I am now enrolled in seminary and working on my third year. I think trying to use somebody as an example is a great way to keep yourself going.

Psalms 20:7 "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God."

tonia
since 2003-06-13
Posts 41
taiwan
12 posted 2003-06-19 04:10 AM

hey IcyFlamez89...
It's sooo nice that you can keep your grades up without putting much effort, I wish I could, too. I totally agree on what you say, your motivation is what I also used care about...but I'm glad you havent lost it and keep it up!
tonia

tonia
since 2003-06-13
Posts 41
taiwan
13 posted 2003-06-19 04:12 AM

Midnitesun...
yeah, there's always a forcing impulse leading you to the right path...but it seems as if I lost my stick....
tonia

tonia
since 2003-06-13
Posts 41
taiwan
14 posted 2003-06-19 04:17 AM

Bec and LoveBug,
i hope you guys'll be able to keep up the good work. it really takes a lot of temerity to go on the road you've chosed.
tonia

tonia
since 2003-06-13
Posts 41
taiwan
15 posted 2003-06-19 04:21 AM

hey NickTofteland,
that's a really good way to get your yourself motivated, I think I'll be looking for someone to pattern after, thank you!
tonia

KristieSue
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
16 posted 2003-06-19 10:51 AM

At the moment, I feel like quitting.  So, I must say that my motivation is the fact that I don't want to be $30,000 in debt for an education I never received.  Also, encouragement from friends keeps me going.

Good luck :-)

Failure isn't failure if a lesson from it is learned ~ KS

tonia
since 2003-06-13
Posts 41
taiwan
17 posted 2003-06-19 11:20 AM

KristieSue...
dont lose your faith...because your friends and family all support you. I felt the same way before, too. dont ever forget that people who love you wont ever want to see you fail, so "have faith".
tonia

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » what's your motivation?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary