navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » ignorance is bliss?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic ignorance is bliss? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Rainbowdust
since 2002-12-05
Posts 320
Sydney, Australia

0 posted 2003-01-23 11:50 PM

If you had the choice of knowing how, and when you were going to die, would you want to know?

I was just thinking about it last night and was wondering what your opinions are?

The soul would have no rainbows, had the eyes no tears.

[This message has been edited by Rainbowdust (01-23-2003 11:52 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Shireen - All Rights Reserved
Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

1 posted 2003-01-23 11:54 PM

I have already planned my death.

Kielo

I know only one thing, and that thing is that I know nothing.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2003-01-24 12:05 PM

Since I never intend to die, the Q is moot.
LOL, all kidding aside, I used to think I'd want to know, now I'm not so sure.
I intend to go out kicking and screaming all the way, trying to avoid the inevitable.
Come to think of it, I'm positive I came into this world that way too.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
3 posted 2003-01-24 12:14 PM

I've already got my death planned as well (Please note: This does NOT have suicidal connotations, it's something that me and Kielo are in on together )
Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
4 posted 2003-01-24 12:14 PM

Well the moment we know when and how we will die, it would change.  but I would not want to know.  Then I would be worring about it all the time and never truly be living.
Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
5 posted 2003-01-24 07:58 AM

I would rather not think about death and how I am going to die. I'd rather go out and live my life to its fullest while I still have time to live.

To answer your question, no. I would not want to know how and when I would die. Knowing that would most likely prevent me from enjoying life.

Spice
since 2001-04-13
Posts 1266
Resting in my cardboard box.
6 posted 2003-01-24 09:53 AM

Absolutely...

I too hate suprises..
However, I'd rather know maily because I'd like to know how much time I have to start achieving small goals etc....

Share Jesa, Stroke Jesa, Pet Jesa, Love Jesa.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
7 posted 2003-01-24 12:11 PM

My grandfather was a very smart man who could see into the future. He knew exactly when he was going to die - the date, the place and the time down to the minute.

The judge told him!!

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
8 posted 2003-01-25 05:44 PM

I am just having way too much fun living to worry about dying, so the answer is no I guess.  Besides I am coming back I haven't hit every store there is on the planet yet
WinterWren
since 2002-12-01
Posts 1044
...Coming to
9 posted 2003-01-25 05:48 PM

LOL! That was great Balladeer!
I would definitly NOT want to know.

WinterWren
"Even a fool knows that we cannot touch the stars, but that doesn't keep the wise from trying."

quietlydying
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
10 posted 2003-01-25 08:49 PM

i do indeed know how am i going to die.  not by my own hand however.  i've tried, it's just not in the cards.

you see, i have an inkling on two ways that it might happen.  and if those don't happen before my late fifties, well my body will just give out.

physilogically i've damaged my body beyond fixing and technically [according to all research that is out there now] i will most likely fade away sometime in my late fifties.

i'm just not meant to grow old i guess.

::shrugs::  not that i want to or anything.

/jen/

'Christianity is the complete negation of common sense and sound reason.'
-- Mikhail Bakunin

Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
11 posted 2003-01-26 01:21 AM

I will be dying soon, probably in 2013 either from cancer or a common cold. I don't know, it won't be for me to decide.

(¨`·.·´¨) (¨`·.·´¨)
  ·.¸(¨`·.·´¨)¸.·´
     *`·.¸.·´*
    Love Always
       Kellie

Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~
12 posted 2003-01-26 03:21 AM

I would want to know for the fact that i would do almost everything I have ever wanted to do and to just go back to little things like telling someone im sorry or that i love them and just letting them know what I have kept in, to tell people what they really meant to me and to tell all those others what i have really thought of them all this time that. Because I wouldnt do it now.

I would want to know but not the exact date.

Rainbowdust
since 2002-12-05
Posts 320
Sydney, Australia
13 posted 2003-01-26 03:44 AM

But don't you think knowing would enable you to be a) better prepared for death when it came, and b) live a fuller life because you could use the information to organise your priorities?

The soul would have no rainbows, had the eyes no tears.

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
14 posted 2003-01-26 07:26 AM

After having read some of the previous responses, my stomach became a little queezy as I began to turn my head from side-to-side [sigh]. Some of you will grow up...hopefully.

"But don't you think knowing would enable you to be a) better prepared for death when it came,..."

~ No. Why live a life in preparation for death? How about live and enjoy your life, while at the same time utilize some common sense (like preparing a will, etc). And when death arrives, you will be prepared without ever having to know when you were to die.

"b) live a fuller life because you could use the information to organise your priorities?"

~ I don't understand the reasoning behind this statement. How could using the information about your own death better enable you to organize your priorities in life? How about forgetting about death, and set some realistic goals in your life, and then go out and achieve those goals. What does knowing about your death have to do with it? Nothing. If a person has no goals in life, what goals would they achieve because they knew of their death? None.  

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
15 posted 2003-01-26 02:39 PM

If I knew I was going to die in say the next few weeks, it would change my approach to the way I live. I would quit my job, travel, and make sure I caught up with all my friends, and lived each day to the fullest. Knowing you are going to die would prioritise things. It kind of reminds me of the film "Fearless," where Jeff Bridges plays a man who survives a plane crash and suddenly loses his fear of dying.  

got hips like cinderella must be having a good shame talking sweet about nothing
cookie i think you're tame" The Pixies

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
16 posted 2003-01-27 04:37 PM

My grandmother had a great saying, and I always remembered it, "If you are afraid of living, then you will surely be afraid of dying."  I think your question has indeed started some thinking that is for sure.  In answer to your original title, I really do believe that if you make the most out of every day and live it the way you yourself wish to live it, then indeed ignorance is bliss.  I don't want to have each day of my life planned any more than my death so off I go to make the most out of this day I won't be seeing again.

~ The soul lies buried in ink that does not flow ~

Jaime
Registered
Posts 250

17 posted 2003-01-28 10:25 PM

I fully recognize the fact that 5 minutes from now I could die. Tomorrow I could die. A week from now I could die. I am not entitled to anything and the world owes me nothing.

To answer your question... no, I wouldn't want to know when or how. It would not offer me any comfort or form of enlightenment so what use is this knowledge to me?

Rather than concerning myself with when or how I might end up dying, I focus on my life and living as well as I can.

Shiva went on break now look at how much it's gonna take to make this place a space where we can breathe.

defenestrate
since 2003-01-10
Posts 46
nc, us
18 posted 2003-02-05 01:04 AM

i would like to know if my death were near, but i don't care about knowing about it far in the future. i plan to control my own destiny on that end, and to live a long, happy life first.
KristieSue
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
19 posted 2003-02-05 06:55 AM

I do not want to know when or where I'm going to die, but I would want to know how.  I would like to know that I'm not going to live some drawn-out, painful death.  I've been convinced since I was a little girl, that one day I am going to die from an 18-wheeler.  We'll see.  

Whatever way it is, I want it instant LOL

I'm not afraid of death...and at moments like this when I have the flu, I wish it were near at hand LOL  You could bury me alive right now and I wouldn't put up a fight.  I don't think I'd have the strength.  I live each day to the fullest (well, most of the time) and don't pile regrets as the days go by.  I know where I'm going when I die and that I will be in my ultimate joy, so I'm happy in life, and will be happy in death!

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
20 posted 2003-02-06 12:49 PM

I'll die when I die.

~Titus

Es ist gut, daß das Leben die Toten studieren sollte.

cherish
since 2001-03-25
Posts 1639
swimming in fairy floss...........
21 posted 2003-02-06 03:07 AM

yup i would. cuz then i'd make sure i did everything i've ever wanted to do. and if i knew what i'd die from, then i'd 'live a little' more.

if i die in a car crash- then sex drugs and booze wont kill me.

Congratulations! It's a bisexual!

IcyFlamez89
since 2003-02-14
Posts 292
Jersey City NJ
22 posted 2003-02-20 06:18 PM

I really wouldn't care if I died soon or not. As long as I lived a life that I am proud of, then I will freely accept death. When I hav attained what I really want in life, the I will be content, and death would be a simple rest after a long, glorious existence.

Emotions and Philosophy, my source of Inspiration

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » ignorance is bliss?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary