navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Valley Forge Soldier
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Valley Forge Soldier Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
neveah5
since 2002-11-22
Posts 197
Ohio

0 posted 2003-01-10 02:32 PM

I received this in an email and thought I would share it with you all..maybe some of you have heard it or read it already but it really touched me.

The following passage is from a sermon by John Hagee:
"I want you to close your eyes and picture in your mind the soldier at Valley Forge, as he holds his musket in his bloody hands. He stands barefoot in the snow, starved from lack of food, wounded from months of battle and emotionally scarred from the eternity away from his family surrounded by nothing but death and carnage of war. He stands though, with fire in his eyes and victory on his breath. He looks at us now in anger and disgust and tells us this... I gave you a birthright of freedom born in the Constitution and now your children graduate too illiterate to read it. I fought in the snow barefoot to give you the freedom to vote and you stay at home because it rains. I left my family destitute to give you the freedom of speech and you remain silent on critical issues, because it might be bad for business. I orphaned my children to give you a government to serve you and it has stolen democracy from the people. It's the soldier not the reporter who gives you the freedom of the press. It's the soldier not the poet who gives you the freedom of speech. It's the soldier not the campus organizer who allows you to demonstrate. It's the soldier who salutes the flag, serves the flag, whose coffin is draped with the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag!!!"
" Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior. Amen."
Prayer Wheel: When you receive this, please stop for a moment and say a prayer for our U.S. ground troops in Afghanistan, AND all over this world. There is nothing attached.... This can be very powerful.... Just send this to all the people in your address book. Do not stop the wheel, please....Of all the gifts you could give a US Soldier, Prayer is the very best one.....

© Copyright 2003 Heather - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2003-01-10 08:32 PM

While I certainly appreciate the honorable Mr. Hagee's apparent intent, I can offer little more than disdain for his methods and surprise for his obvious lack of understanding. The average soldier at Valley Forge would have likely felt little need to slam everybody in sight, and certainly not the children who, in spite of declining scores, are still far better educated and far more literate than was the soldier.

It's the soldier not the reporter who gives you the freedom of the press? It's the soldier not the poet who gives you the freedom of speech? It's the soldier not the campus organizer who allows you to demonstrate?

It seems that Mr. Hagee doesn't realize that the reporter and the poet and, yea, even the campus organizer ARE the soldiers. It was that way at Valley Forge. It's that way today, too.

Our troops in Afghanistan and elsewhere deserve our support and very much need our prayers. I would hope they could get both without cutting down everyone else in the world in the process.

neveah5
since 2002-11-22
Posts 197
Ohio
2 posted 2003-01-10 08:41 PM

Point well taken Ron

I never thought of it that way...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Valley Forge Soldier

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary