navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » So I was thinking, where can I find a group of creative, helpful people? Well...
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic So I was thinking, where can I find a group of creative, helpful people? Well... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg

0 posted 2003-01-05 11:18 PM

I knew where to come.  

Alright people - here's the dillio... I have to figure out a topic to do my sociology term paper on.  It's due in about two weeks, I'd like to get started soon. Well, it's supposed to be on a social issue of our choice, done from the sociological perspective, and include a significant amount of research (the part of the essay that I call altavista-search-results ).  I've got a few ideas in mind, but I thought I'd throw this up for suggestions?

What major social issues do you think are research-worthy?  I'll even write a poem about whoever's idea I pick, just as incentive... hehe

© Copyright 2003 Brian James Lee - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2003-01-05 11:27 PM

Cloning.
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
2 posted 2003-01-05 11:28 PM

are you looking for macro or micro?  
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
3 posted 2003-01-05 11:49 PM

cloning could be great sharon if the thesis answered something really interesting like:

How will cloning legislation effect the abortion issue and reproductive rights of the family?

Or

Cloning and the church -- does a clone have a 'soul'?

Will cloning of human tissue for medical purposes (theraputic cloning -- cloning of organs for transplant) draw further class distinctions in health care?

What is the relationship between a clone and the donors?  Is it parent child or sibling?  Or -- even owner?

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2003-01-05 11:52 PM

Exactly!!! Forget the legal or physical implications...think of the social ones.
PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
5 posted 2003-01-05 11:53 PM

There's the obvious one, war, the countries involved, and it's effect on worldwide economics and sociological structice (is that the right phrase?)...

or, perhaps, the economy; it might be hard, unless you chose a particular country. The US of A, as you know, ain't doing so well.

Cloning, and it's ethical and medical implications, I think is a very good subject to go all out on.

The fallout of the Eleventh, a smaller, but still important topic.

The epidemic of 2002 which consisted of 'rappers' featuring a feather-voiced female singer. Gag me; please, too much.

~Titus

If I think of anymore, I'll be back.

"A life unexamined is not worth living."
                       -Socrates

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

6 posted 2003-01-06 05:41 PM

mental instability. And you can write about how I am mentaly unstable.

Nahhh, just kidding. Hmmm, how about:

poulation control, how the world's poulataion is expected to double in hardly any time at all, how soon there might not be enough food to go around, enough room to live and breathe freely. I think it is scary

Or....

nuclear war, what countries have nuclear capabilities, how a nuclear war could affect the earth, and as a special perspective, you could try to imagine what nuclear winter would be like, something not fun to imagine.

Or....

socks

Never be normal!

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
7 posted 2003-01-06 06:01 PM

Local Parasite...
since you are asking, I am taking a few liberties...

Topic to try writing: "Ants" ...
They are social amongst themselves, yet they are antisocial for most others, partiularly little kids playing in the sand in summers...

Statistically relevant could be
1. How many ants does it take to build an anthill?
2. How many ants can walk in a straight line for a mile?
3. How many ants are disgusted by Rap music?
4. How many ants like Pink Floyd
5. ...
6. ...
7. How many ants does it take to change a light bulb?
8. Did any ant watch the movie about them?
9. Are red ants more popular or black ones?
10. Are smallish black ants more welcome than big black ones?
11. why are there ants in pants, rants, etc.

ah well.. I give up... sorry for taking up the space, but today I am backing the ants of the world to unite and fight against terrorism.

now, I am really sorry...

Instead, do you want to think/write about
1. Not driving a car unless there is no public transport (and even then only if distance is more than 5 kms)
2. Addiction to Aspirin and other soft non-prescription drugs
3. Asians and their influence on the western world (you may choose positive or negative)... and mind you this is controversial and maybe "racial profiling"...
4. Mice and the art of double click --- now that could be a title of a book... hmmm

I should stop now... lest you think I have had a bit too much of aspirin

Regards,
Sudhir
P.S. I hope you didn't mind my blah... please disregard most of the stuff above...

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

8 posted 2003-01-06 06:06 PM

Sociology huh? perhaps the influence of peer pressure on the artistic tastes of teenagers... do they know and decide what is good for themselves or because of the influence of friends do they adopt what is supposed to be cool and popular?

Or..how about the social pressures on teens to engage in intimate reltionships at earlier ages today than two decades ago or is there any?

[This message has been edited by Cpat Hair (01-06-2003 06:07 PM).]

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

9 posted 2003-01-06 10:20 PM

Talk about something that you can relate to from personal experience. Easier that way..
Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
10 posted 2003-01-07 10:05 AM

You could write about a topic (religion, government, economy, etc) from a particular worldview and how that relates to ethnocentrism.
Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
11 posted 2003-01-07 01:45 PM

Thanks for the ideas everyone.  I might go for the cloning bit, but it'd be difficult because not a lot of history exists on the cloning issue that I could effectively research... although I'm sure there is scientific history, I would be discussing the sociological implications... so I'd have a lot of guessing and not a lot of reading.

War/nuclear war would be a bit more realistic, but too broad to have an entire paper written about it.

Ron, Opeth, and Sudhir... I like your ideas and right now I'm seriously mulling them over.  Sudhir, thanks for all of your time... I just might use an image of ants somehow in my paper.  Have you taken sociology before...?  Because that's pretty much what it is... describing human beings as an ant colony.     Gave me a good chuckle.

Allysa
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 1999-11-09
Posts 1952
In an upside-down garden
12 posted 2003-01-07 03:56 PM

Hey, this is not alyssa *gasp*, it's her best friend int he whole wide owrld, Alison...anyways, I say you go for a paper ob shizophrenia. It's qite possibly one of the most interresting social (anxiety) topics. If not, try doing sexual preference vs. the world's outlook on homosexuality, you know, pros and cons.  Anyways,
--*--Alison--*--

RSWells
Member Elite
since 2001-06-17
Posts 2533

13 posted 2003-01-07 05:58 PM

How about the disenfranchising of minorities by convicting them of felonies as related to drug use? How they are far less likely to be properly represented in the disposition of their cases than the monied and more sophisticated caucasion majority thus assuring further poverty due to the limits of employment prospects and to be rendered voiceless as to the loss of any right to participate in the vote. How the jails and prisons have an inordinate amount of blacks and hispanics serving sentences foisted on them by inept and lazy court appointed lawyers whereas whites are more likely to be given probation or deferred adjudication thus allowing them to have a voice in government.
Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
14 posted 2003-01-07 06:42 PM

Allysa's friend - Schizophrenia would give me a lot of research to do.  I'm not sure about the sociological implications of it, but if I could figure out a good point to make, the research would make up for it.  Thanks, I will have that one in mind for sure.

Wells - Excellent point, and that would in fact be a good research topic because as you say, it is a problem that just keeps making itself worse.  We have the very same problem in Manitoba, although it's not so much blacks and hispanics as it is aboriginal people.  There is a vastly disproportionate number of aboriginals in our prisons, along with a high rate of unemployment amongst aboriginals, and a generally low concern for them based on the stigmas they are so unfortunately stuck with.  

That's one I could do lots of easy research on, and could also discuss sociologically... I would probably turn out a nice product if I examined the topic exclusively from a Marxist perspective, for example.

Thanks.  

Child of the Stars
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-07
Posts 1658
Ann Arbor, MI
15 posted 2003-01-10 06:02 PM

How about one of my faaaavorite topics?

Crazy people are still...people.

"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
   Old Time is still a-flying,
And this same flower that smiles to-day
   To-morrow will be dying."

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » So I was thinking, where can I find a group of creative, helpful people? Well...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary