navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » 911
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic 911 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea

0 posted 2003-12-19 10:27 AM

I watched a movie
that showed the New York skyline.
I miss the towers.

© Copyright 2003 Brad - All Rights Reserved
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
1 posted 2003-12-19 12:15 PM

I think I saw that one too. Can't argue with you on this one.

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
2 posted 2003-12-19 02:47 PM

What movie?

I think that might add some depth to this poem... I understand you're using the haiku format and it's meant to be kind of simplistic, and that the message is in the simplicity itself and all that...

but I can't help but feel that this is just a little too simple, a little too plain. Maybe I'm missing something?

gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley
3 posted 2003-12-19 04:32 PM

I know, I make that differentiation in every movie/drama/sitcom I see - is it pre or post 9/11? So I think you are striking a real chord with this,  that sense of so much emotion condensed  into one glimpse, it has real potential.

Maybe one way to make the impact stronger is to take the "I"s out of it and put eyes into it. Now, the reader is seeing you have that moment, or maybe even more removed, seeing you remember that moment, but the greater potential is to bring them into the moment itself.

One possibility:

watching a movie
showing the New York skyline.
missing the towers.

But it is such a strong image, please forgive me for playing with it a bit:

watching a movie
glimpse of New York skyline now
missing the towers.

lot of ways to go, with this, but I feel to do more is an infringement on your moment. A very strong insight that resonates.

coyote
since 2001-03-17
Posts 1077

4 posted 2003-12-21 01:58 PM

How often the simple form best conveys the complexities of human thought and emotion.

I saw that movie too.....
and thought & felt likewise.

Though this is a non-traditional use of the 5-7-5 haiku style, which is primarily used to present profound thought within the context of a nature theme, I believe it tells all about this subject for me.

I would not change a word, Brad.
But then I most prefer the laconic verse.

CB 8)

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
5 posted 2003-12-23 01:15 PM

Brad:

I think you picked the right form for this.  As I understand haiku and senryu, the reader is expected to allow the poem to guide his contemplation of it.  Had this not been the case, I think the final line would have fallen flat.

Your word choice in "I miss the towers" didn't ring particularly clear to me on the first read.  Sure, when I watch movies set in NY, I often scan the skyline looking for the towers.  Seeing them or not seeing them evokes similar feelings in me, but I wouldn't say that I would choose "I miss the towers" as a first reaction.

But then you didn't intend that to be case, did you?  I have little doubt that our initial reaction is the same.  Who can't recall the horror of that day?  The feeling of "missing" the towers comes later when you think of what their continued existence would have meant.  The world irrekovably changed that day and the absense of those towers on the big screen serves as a reminder of this.

If the poem has a weakness, I think it would be that it fails to be forward-looking.  I suppose when I reflect on what happened on 9/11, I also think of what awaits us tomorrow.

Good offering, Brad.  Thanks for the read.

Jim

dwgpoet
since 2007-03-05
Posts 122
FL, USA
6 posted 2007-03-05 09:44 PM

Edward Dorn style song;
An American Haiku;
Great poem; Enough said

copyright dwgpoet 2007

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » 911

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary