navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Falling (oddly enough)
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Falling (oddly enough) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA

0 posted 2007-09-19 01:26 AM

Falling oddly enough for the praise of flesh
But tarnished baubles are as fragile
as the charmed are fickle
Aiming to please with virtue
but who recognizes or even cares
for what can never be achieved
even in one's finest hour.
Or who would be attracted
to what is so easily despised,
or flippantly misunderstood
even if our fig regalia could?
They are fallen and we too
are falling oddly enough
we've never reached the ground
Bottomless pits hold as much
mercy as curse I suppose
Then Thirteen stories downward
we happily slid between pressed thorns
(They lost their sting having been
threshed with braids of golden wheat
in someone else's winepress)
and found in Pauline pages
the answer, gleaming like Sol
adorned in his purple robes
unsightly to some, glorious to others
the greatest third of all threes
Wailing and Laughter mingling
before this rising unlikely temple
Mary mistakenly or fortuitously
spied a common gardener that day.
And I hear one calling out
"Who is blind like my servant?"
And the whispering autumnal reply,
"We all do fade as a leaf
and our iniquities like the wind
have taken us away"
Falling oddly enough all these leaves!
Everywhere is winter coming
But love, as it were, divine
is falling faster like the pedals
of a decided lover's rose
skipping beats like a heart of flesh
not like an an auditor's toll
"He loves me ... He loves me"
falling oddly enough, it is true
that love is blind.

(Still working on this).

[This message has been edited by Stephanos (09-19-2007 02:10 AM).]

© Copyright 2007 Stephen Douglas Jones - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2007-09-19 01:50 AM

There's a lot of stuff here.

And in some places?

*wince*

not enough?

(I'm thinking "fig regalia")

um,, I'm very visual, my brother, and I had this image of like, milita--clean-shriven and standing in line as we all received our leaves. (Not trying to make fun, that is honestly what came to my mind...)

But there is a whole lotta symbolism going on in here, so I may have to take some time with the layerings of it all. (Again, no pun intended.)

I just, um...I'm not sure about that fig regalia. It might just be me though, but I dunno...was that supposed to give me the shivers?

I'll be back.

I think.

?

OH.

And it would help if I could read it...um, it might just be me, but I'm getting weirdness in it too.

L7? one’---now I can GUESS, but I'm getting that throughout the poem....is that just me too?

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
2 posted 2007-09-19 01:53 AM

I suppose my first response will be that the "fig regalia" has an element of mockery or satire in it, as well as hopeless incongruity.  

But I'm open to the possibility of a substitute, if it's that distracting from the intent.

S.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2007-09-19 01:56 AM

I'm finding the third to last line nearly indecipherable, unfortunately.

(sorry)

I really do want to try to give this a good read for ya bro.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
4 posted 2007-09-19 01:57 AM

quote:
OH.

And it would help if I could read it...um, it might just be me, but I'm getting weirdness in it too.

L7? one’---now I can GUESS, but I'm getting that throughout the poem....is that just me too?

You lost me here, Karen.  Speak as to a child, and see if I can understand what you're saying here. (it's me not you)  

Stephen

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
5 posted 2007-09-19 02:00 AM

Karen, the third to the last line, indecipherable?  Do you mean in meaning?  I have to admit it is a bit obscure but it is related to something in the title (a play on words).

Stephen

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2007-09-19 02:01 AM

I'm getting weird symbols instead of language.

How is that?

I not only don't speak meter, I don't speak tech--but I'm getting garbled comp language over here.

Not poking fun, S. I just can't read some parts.

(E mail it to me?)

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
7 posted 2007-09-19 02:03 AM

Ohhhh,

you've got computer babel going on.  

I know I'm no Emerson, but I was beginning to think I was a really baaadddd poet.  (smile)

Is it garbled for anyone else?

Stephen.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2007-09-19 02:06 AM

*grin*

Well.

Let's wait, shall we?

*laughing*

(checking my e mail now)

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
9 posted 2007-09-19 02:07 AM

Karen,

"You've got mail" or "&^$%^$^%$@*&^("  Whichever you prefer.  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2007-09-19 02:10 AM

Thank you very much.

(karenity collapses laughing)

Mighta been a long wait, so I appreciate it.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
11 posted 2007-09-19 02:12 AM

Karen,

I didn't want to tell you but I was going for the avante gard ... ya know, one of those ultra contemporary visual effects.  LOL.  I think I fixed your problem.  Apparantly I've got a browser that doesn't mind when I paste from my word processor documents, and every other browser in the world does.     I think it's fixed.  Whew, I almost quit poeticizing altogether.  To say someone's poem needs work is one thing, but undecipherable is quite another.  (lol)

Stephen

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

12 posted 2007-09-19 02:19 AM

Honesty gets me in and out of trouble--damned near every time!

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
13 posted 2007-09-19 02:21 AM

No, K, your honesty actually got me out of trouble, and gave me a good laugh.  Now, back to serious critique, shall we?  

Stephen

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
14 posted 2007-09-19 02:24 AM

Since we're both on online I've been waiting, but you don't have to do it now.  It is a long poem and full of references you may or may not catch right away.  Take your time.  I need to get some sleep.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

15 posted 2007-09-19 02:28 AM

Dream sweet.

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
16 posted 2007-09-19 06:24 PM

Hi Stephen, you old avant gardist, you!  

I think it is a sign of your mature and adventurous mind when you can stay so true to yourself while experimenting successfully with a different genre.  

A problem area:

"But love, as it were, divine
is falling faster like the pedals
of a decided lover's rose
skipping beats like a heart of flesh"

1.  The thought is clean, but the lines are rough.

2.  Is "pedals" a typo?  If not, what makes it work better than "petals?"

3.  Do you mean "But love, as (if)it were divine(,), or "But love, (so to speak,)
divine (,)?

4.  "is falling faster (than?) the petals

5.  "of a decided lover's rose" Might there be a better adjective than "decided?"

6.  "skipping beats like a heart of flesh"  Since we know you are not talking about paper valentines here, what else would a heart be of?  The association of love and skipped heart beats is, ah trite.  You might want to think of another way to get at this.

As a general thought, you might want to consider putting in some line breaks.  Oh, go ahead and be a modernist.  Put them in unexpected places for emphasis, maybe?

Nice work!   Jim

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
17 posted 2007-09-19 06:34 PM

Honestly, Stephen, this is an enjoyable read.

It's such a breath of fresh air to read religious or spiritual poetry that isn't overtly concerned with power/control (the visible is in the imperative/the invisible is in the, what do you call it, the extreme anecdote and then reversal).

With that said, rose pedals?

Two more points:

I'd definitely like to spend more time on this. Maybe later, and as always, and it probably goes without saying, you can take it or leave it as your wont.

Second, and I may have stated this before, your strength and weakness is that you have been pegged as a religious poet (and I'm a complex poet, go figure!). It might be interesting to use that to your advantage.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
18 posted 2007-09-22 02:02 AM

Jim:
quote:
Is "pedals" a typo?  If not, what makes it work better than "petals?"

It was not a typo.  I used it experimentally.  I of course wanted the image of rose petals falling, but also wanted the image of some haste ... pedaling a bicycle came to mind, and I thought it could be a suggestive "mistake".  So there you have it.  It may not work, or may seem too contrived, or (conversely) accidental?

quote:
Do you mean "But love, as (if)it were divine(,), or "But love, (so to speak,)
divine (,)?

More like "so to speak".  I suppose this might indicate that divine love is a mere likeness of human love, but not the same.  I certainly didn't want to hint that either the love or divinity wasn't real.  Does the phrase distract to that end?  Actually it was just good filler, and kind of cool sounding.  Probably not a good enough reason to use it eh?    

quote:
"is falling faster (than?) the petals

No, falling faster than the "leaves" mentioned two lines before.

quote:
"of a decided lover's rose" Might there be a better adjective than "decided?"

Yes you're right.  I may change it to "assured" or something like it.  The idea is that the rose petals are dropped, but there is no real question, no "divining" as it were to discover if her beloved truly loves ... as in "He loves me, He loves me not ..."

quote:
"skipping beats like a heart of flesh"  Since we know you are not talking about paper valentines here, what else would a heart be of?  The association of love and skipped heart beats is, ah trite.  You might want to think of another way to get at this.

Actually it was a subtle reference (Ezekiel 11:19) to a biblical idea of contrasting "a heart of flesh" with something else, such as "a heart of stone", or in this case a more precise and exacting rhythm of an auditor's machine.

"skipping beats" was a way to draw attention to the lover who doesn't have to muse "he loves me not", only speaking every other phrase in the traditional lover's game.  And though it may not be immediately obvious it also ties in to the title "oddly enough".  Literally being odd in number (like the number thirteen in a previous line).

Brad,

I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Could you explain this a bit more?:

quote:
It's such a breath of fresh air to read religious or spiritual poetry that isn't overtly concerned with power/control (the visible is in the imperative/the invisible is in the, what do you call it, the extreme anecdote and then reversal).

The visible and invisible?  Talk as to a child.  I'm (what you would call) a novice in the formal aspects of poetry.

Stephen

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Falling (oddly enough)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary