navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Nature Abused
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Nature Abused Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville

0 posted 2007-08-28 03:28 PM

He stalks the gardens fingers green
deflowering beds, uprooting trees
in barking mood, lays the weeds low.

With fork to root his furrows plow
beneath each bush, to spoil the fruit
and see each bleeds a sappy tear.

He trains the wildness to the hoe,
and rapes the bloom, unearthing seeds
in senseless need then turning leaves.

Willow’s weeping.

[This message has been edited by Grinch (08-28-2007 07:27 PM).]

© Copyright 2007 Grinch - All Rights Reserved
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
1 posted 2007-08-28 05:32 PM

Ok Grinch, based on the recent conversations, I'm guessing that this is an exercise in meter. For the most part it appears to be proper iambic tetrameter. There are two exceptions. The first is L3. In order to fit the pattern, it would have to be read thus.

in BARK/ing MOOD,/ lays THE/ weeds LOW.

You just can't stress THE in the instance. A stronger substitute word must be found.

The second is the missing initial syllable in L8. Sometimes it can be useful to drop that first syllable but it usually is for emphasis or something similar. In this case there simply is no reason so it causes a stumbling block by drawing attention to it. In other words, it detracts rather than adds to the poem. You may get complaints from some purists but I see nothing wrong with inserting and to begin that line. It fits the meter and it fits the context.

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
2 posted 2007-08-28 06:30 PM

quote:
Ok Grinch, based on the recent conversations, I'm guessing that this is an exercise in meter.

Actually it was an exercise in syllabic verse, I was more concerned with evoking the right images than building accentual meter though I’m sure your scansion is correct and thanks for taking the time.

Though saying that I’ve just noticed I was a syllable shy in L8 so your effort wasn’t wasted I’ll add the AND.

Good call.

[This message has been edited by Grinch (08-28-2007 07:29 PM).]

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
3 posted 2007-08-28 07:37 PM

BTW, in the rush to critique, I failed to say that I quite enjoyed it too.

Although I stand corrected on your intent, I'd still like to see you change L3. Maybe even this.

in barking mood, lays low the weeds.

Not an inappropriate inversion, at least IMHO. Ooh look! Besides that, it also adds to the existing slant rhyme in the stanza!

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
4 posted 2007-08-28 10:48 PM

Starting right at "he" left a blank space for me.  Why not give a bit of description about whom you are bespeaking?
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
5 posted 2007-08-29 04:34 PM

HE is a rapist Ess.

Not a particular rapist but any rapist and all rapists rolled up into one.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
6 posted 2007-09-01 11:47 AM

May you also deal with the subject literally and directly in a poetic and responsible way, instead of just hiding it behind vague metaphors and suggestions?  

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
7 posted 2007-09-01 02:50 PM

quote:
May you also deal with the subject literally and directly in a poetic and responsible way, instead of just hiding it behind vague metaphors and suggestions?

I thought I’d dealt with the subject literarily and directly in a poetic and responsible way and I’m not sure which vague metaphors and suggestions you’re talking about, can you elaborate?

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
8 posted 2007-09-01 03:35 PM

You said "he" refers to a rapist.  How are we to take speech about gardens, deflowering beds, uprooting trees, etc. as literally or directly expressing a rapist?  

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
9 posted 2007-09-01 03:50 PM

Ess,

Take them whichever way you like, I did my bit, I wrote it; it’s up to you what you read into it.

To me he’s a gardener, a priest, a teacher or a critic depending on my mood but he’s always a rapist.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
10 posted 2007-09-01 04:00 PM

I get sick of these riddles.

Can't anyone just write a clear poem anymore?

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
11 posted 2007-09-01 04:21 PM

Ess,

I don’t know why you find a simple poem about gardening so baffling.

TomMark
Member Elite
since 2007-07-27
Posts 2133
LA,CA
12 posted 2007-09-01 04:47 PM

Brad dropped his pure meter in unrhymed bag
Grinch has grown his words quite unfertilized
Moonbeam lasers his mere reflecting shine
Essorant is sick of all poems of bad

Tomtoo

Brad DROPPED his PURE MEter in unRHYMED BAG
GRINCH has GROWN his WORDS quite unFERtiLIZED
MOONbeam LAsers his MERE reFLECting SHINE
EssoRANT is SICK of ALL POEMS of BAD

Did I put the stress right? (not right meter yet)
Shall I stress names or shall I read names as I like, either stressed or not based on the situation...such as happy or not happy?

[This message has been edited by TomMark (09-01-2007 06:37 PM).]

Bear
since 2007-08-31
Posts 7
IL
13 posted 2007-09-01 05:15 PM

Grinch,

I must agree with Essorant.  Before I read further down the thread I was left questioning what the poem was really about.  Being abstract doesn't necessarily make a poem deep...and allowing for the "he" in the poem to any one of a number of different things only makes it confusing.  Who do you want "he" to be?  Pick someone and flesh out the poem so the reader doesn't feel like they have to read your mind.  

I don't think I would say this poem is about gardening....gardening to me is more about tending the beauty of nature...not raping it.

But that is just my opinion...

-Bear

JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

14 posted 2007-09-01 05:25 PM

Good grief, I got it and I'm as dumb as they come.

Jenn rolls eyes in disbelief.

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
15 posted 2007-09-01 06:26 PM

quote:
I don't think I would say this poem is about gardening....gardening to me is more about tending the beauty of nature...not raping it

What about from the perspective of the plants, would they view it as tending nature or a form of abuse?

Doesn’t the personification of plants in the last line allow this view from the plants perspective?

quote:
Before I read further down the thread I was left questioning what the poem was really about.

That’s interesting, are you saying it made no sense at all, on any level? That it was totally meaningless drivel with no theme at all? Or are you saying that you didn’t pick up on any possible additional meanings that it might contain?

If there are other meanings in the poem are they contained in the poem independent of the rest of the thread, do you see them there now? And if so weren’t they there all along waiting to be seen?

quote:
Who do you want "he" to be?  Pick someone and flesh out the poem so the reader doesn't feel like they have to read your mind.

I want him to be vague so that the reader can decide who he is.

quote:
Good grief, I got it and I'm as dumb as they come.

No you didn’t, it’s just a poem about gardening.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Nature Abused

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary