navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » The Greatest 20th Century American poet.
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Greatest 20th Century American poet. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA

0 posted 2007-03-04 04:59 PM

The Greatest 20th Century American poet.

Eliot and Ezra Pound
Sowed their seeds in fertile ground.
But I will bet you, odds or evens,
The best of all was Wallace Stevens.

© Copyright 2007 Jim Aitken - All Rights Reserved
viking_metal
since 2007-02-02
Posts 1337
In a Jeep, Minnesota.
1 posted 2007-03-04 10:02 PM

A charming little piece, one that I cannot truly critique. However, I did indeed enjoy it. The title doesnt exactly roll off the tounge though! Hah!

Valedictions,

-Paul

JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

2 posted 2007-03-05 12:38 PM

Wallace Stevens, Wallace Stevens - how I've struggled with Wallace Stevens! It's a love/ hate thing for me.
When I want to hide in the shadows, I post haiku.

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
3 posted 2007-03-05 03:34 PM

Yup, Stevens can be a bugger, but at least he's an approachable bugger.  Did my thesis on his "An Ordinary Evening In New Haven." so now I are a Master. Uh huh.

Troublesome or not, "Peter Quince at the Clavier" and "Sunday Morning" are gemstones.
"The Collected Works" is the motherlode.

Jim

sampo
since 2007-02-25
Posts 54
oz
4 posted 2007-03-06 05:54 AM

ocean,

being an eliot man myself, i will
not dispute your preference.

we all have one, i would however
like to see - they sowed their seeds
in fertile ground, line attached
metaphorically to your - best of all,
line.

eg - best of all that bloomed,
all that flowered, reaped, etc.

you get my drift.

regards,

sampo.

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
5 posted 2007-03-06 02:45 PM

Aw, sampo.  Eliot-people dispute everything.  That's their job.  Reasonable critique, though.  Thanks, Jim
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
6 posted 2007-03-07 04:05 PM

Stevens is a bugger. In many ways, I'm still waiting for him to 'click' for me. Don't get me wrong, 'Sunday Morning' is great, but I read somewhere that the "Emperor of Ice Cream" was his favorite poem.

And that one frustrates the hell out of me.

I'd probably go with Eliot (I reread him much more). A few years ago, I would have said Hart Crane, but we shouldn't leave out Auden -- especially these days.

Though I also admit to a somwhat uncanny preference for poets on that little island across the pond (Or in my case both ponds).

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
7 posted 2007-03-07 06:40 PM

Brad -- On Stevens' preference for his "The Emperor of Ice Cream," a poet can be his own worst enemy...  But hey, he's talking about his own stuff, so who can dispute?

Stevens can sometimes seem passionless or dry.  I don't think he is, but that's me.  Again, for me, "An Ordinary Evening in New Haven" is pretty much Stevens' being his most Stevens'-like. Dry as dust on first glance, but roiling just beneath the surface. The sort of poem as I suggested elsewhere, that invites you in...

No problem going with Eliot, Pound, or Auden.  The notion in my bit of nonsense is that the selection a "Best poet" is a jape. That's why it's a lightweight quatrain, not a textual analysis.  And for what it's worth, I think Stevens has a strong connection with your friends across the more Pacific pond.

I see an interesting connection with your appreciation of both Eliot and Auden.  One was an American-Anglo, and the other an Anglo-American.  Maybe it helps to get out of one's given skin to find the skin you're supposed to be in.  

Seems to be working very well, for you (and yes, I've gone through the submissions for your last two years posts.)  In my own way, I try it too.  I've given up on being intelligent for for short forms that are somewhat relevant.

In these times, as during WW's I, II, Korea, and Vietnam, it doesn't hurt to go back to Wilfred Owen, either, another islander, who's "The Naming of Parts" is perhaps the quintessential plaint of a soldier cursed with a brain.  

On your current side of the pond, there's a saying, here paraphrased: "If you see the Buddha by the side of the road, kill him." To shift the context slightly, I offer:  "If you become enamored of your own work, burn it."  The "you" is you-niversal. not meaning you, Brad.

I've also read your post on why reading poetry on this and other forums resembles treading water in a swamp.

Three possibilities:  1, Most poetry is dreck by definition. For obvious example, why do we still read Shakespeare and not Marlowe or the host of other Elizabethan scribblers?  2.  Most poster's posting in PIP have the notion that if you just break something up into lines, it is therefore a poem.  A function of failed education. 3.  Posts to Critical Analysis are meant to be in the form of "constructive critism" a euphism for friendly blather.  

Now, if somebody posts either a 50 line or 3 line blivot, there's a temptation to say, Ah, go slit your wrists and be done with.  But this doesn't offer much in the way of analysis of friendship.

Who, given that there are lives to be lived an so on, has the time to "anylyze" 50 lines that stink?  That's why there seem to be a lot of "nice try" sort of comments.  And Lordy, poem submitters get defensive!  Certainly don't want that happening in a community of friends.

I think reading in the forum is like diamond mining.  100 tons of earth per carat.  Maybe the best post is no-post, with the occasional munch on a carat.

Thanks, Jim

Stevens is a bugger. In many ways, I'm still waiting for him to 'click' for me. Don't get me wrong, 'Sunday Morning' is great, but I read somewhere that the "Emperor of Ice Cream" was his favorite poem.

And that one frustrates the hell out of me.

I'd probably go with Eliot (I reread him much more). A few years ago, I would have said Hart Crane, but we shouldn't leave out Auden -- especially these days.

Though I also admit to a somwhat uncanny preference for poets on that little island across the pond (Or in my case both ponds).

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
8 posted 2007-03-07 07:50 PM

Brad, an addendum.  Apologies for grammar and spelling errors in last post.  I hit submit instead of edit.

Also, I think I was lapsing into academics here and there.  

Robert Burns is my favorite poet from another era and the other isle.  The man collected songs, wrote satires and polemics, and opened his veins in love poems. Not bad for a farmer.

Jim

Aurelian
since 2007-03-20
Posts 109
TX, USA
9 posted 2007-03-23 08:49 PM

Bah! Heretic! Bring the wood and straw!
(All in good fun - I'm an Eliot man myself)

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
10 posted 2007-03-27 05:11 PM

Anyone who even bothers to read Eliot has my complete admiration.  In fact, anybody who bothers to read ANYBODY has my complete admiration. Except you, of course.  (the last bit, like the poem, is a joke.)  Best, Jim

TomMark
Member Elite
since 2007-07-27
Posts 2133
LA,CA
11 posted 2007-12-12 12:16 PM

love to read this.

more please!

Tomtoo

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
12 posted 2007-12-12 06:18 PM

I’ll bet any man
From any land
Any amount
That he can count
That Kipling would win
With a quick recount

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
13 posted 2007-12-12 06:46 PM

Kipling?

Do you think he's unjustly neglected becaused of "White Man's Burden"?

I don't know. I do know that Said, not someone you'd normally think of as a Kipling admirer, has said some very nice things about him.

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
14 posted 2007-12-12 06:47 PM

If wider nets were flung instead
To dredge the earth and wake the dead
One self destructed name must rise
To raise a glass and steal the prize.

No doubting, Thomas hacked the sapling tree
that held his taste
and caused the very boughs to crash and break
that bore his fame,
Whose own life blood surged deep within that vine,
into that cup, that blessed and cursed his name.

A man of words who reaped the readers ears
with imagery,
who harvested such praise yet such disdain
fell as the corn.
Laid flat by cheers blurred in a mocking voice,
yet in his sullen art was not forlorn.

On soil away from valleys and from woods
a poet died.
Sad oaken box marred with their knotted praise
and his excess.
Free to become the weaver that he was
a genius in words and nothing less.

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
15 posted 2007-12-12 07:16 PM

Grinch:

He should be praised.  
If I had read
The Anglo Lads,
I might have raised
His name instead.
But yikes, it was
enough for me
To tackle American poetry.
There was no lack of promise
Or accomplishment with Thomas.
I just tend to focus
Within a smaller locus.

Whistling.  Jim

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
16 posted 2007-12-12 07:20 PM

Chopsticks:  Kipling would have a difficult time being nominated at "The Greatest 20th Century American Poet," the title of this thread.  He was an Englishman.

Jim

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
17 posted 2007-12-12 07:37 PM

In truth, soft whispered, from my lips,
On tip of tongue and fingertips,
The list of kings that my breath blew
Ranked Stevens there among the few.

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
18 posted 2007-12-12 08:17 PM

Ocean, you are right as usual.  I’m so embarrassed , I didn’t read the fine print.

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
19 posted 2007-12-13 09:44 AM

Brad:

quote:
I don't know. I do know that Said, not someone you'd normally think of as a Kipling admirer, has said some very nice things about him.

I found this puzzling.  As I recall, he was much harder on Camus than he was on Kipling.  I can't say I was ever convinced of his contrapuntal readings of either author.  But I suppose that discussion is for another forum.

Jim (oceanvu2):

Can't say I'm a big fan of either Elliot, Pound, or Stevens.  More a fan of Cummings these days (I'm a glutton for punishment).

Jim

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
20 posted 2007-12-13 09:51 AM

JimB,

What do we disagree on?

I think you're right.

PS Cummings is not worth my time. The other guys are.

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
21 posted 2007-12-13 10:39 AM

Brad:

quote:
PS Cummings is not worth my time. The other guys are.

You're the best judge of that.  I assume we still agree on Pinsky.

Jim

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
22 posted 2007-12-13 07:36 PM

Pinsky had a two liner in the Atlantic a few months back that I liked.
hunnie_girl
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-06-18
Posts 2567
Canada
23 posted 2007-12-14 08:44 PM

Ahhhh Jim, this poem really flowed off the tounge and into the mind.
Krysti

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
24 posted 2007-12-16 08:08 PM

Thank you Krysti.  The poem is just a little joke, but it seems to have opened up some interesting discussion about the silliness people interested in poetry discuss.

Best, Jim

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » The Greatest 20th Century American poet.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary