navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » City Dwelling
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic City Dwelling Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ChaosOfAPen
since 2007-02-16
Posts 5

0 posted 2007-02-16 05:22 PM

This city seems crowded, claustrophobic, caved-in
And these streets reek of gasoline tears and sin
The night's falling faster
Leaving me to wonder where you are
These streetlights click on earlier
Killing all of our stars

My bed is still empty
Beckoning all of our lust and fears
My body is cold and shaking
But it's still here

Kill the lights
The dawn's arriving soon
To murder this night

These buildings seem constricted, congested, too close
And these alleyways reek of lost dreams and dead hopes
The sun's sinking sooner
Leaving me to wonder where you are
The moon's dancing above
And I'm hoping you're not far

My hand is still open
Waiting for yours to embrace
And my mouth is still speaking
Words to empty space

Kill the light
The dawn's arriving soon
This is what you wanted, dear
Me here with you.

© Copyright 2007 ChaosOfAPen - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 2007-02-18 05:22 PM

This kind of works for me. I'd drop those two middle strophes and stick with the description of the city (though I suspect many would describe it as too repetitive). Still, somehow, it does seem to capture that moment, that silence, just before the day begins.

My one complaint is that the characters are really nothing but stick figures. While I admit that others have complained that I often try to put too much into those 'moments', I believe that an entire life, world, whatever can be encapsulated there -- I never worry if the time and the poem actually match so to speak. So, let the city be a metaphor for the bad times of the relationship, life, or whatever, and see the moment 'between' so to speak as the contrary.

ChaosOfAPen
since 2007-02-16
Posts 5

2 posted 2007-02-18 10:00 PM

The reason why my characters seem so vague is because while I wrote this I was in a long distance relationship. I still am. They're not developed much because all this relationship has been is words. Whether typed, written or spoken. The dawn arriving is just counting another day until we're together. The city.. a way of never quite feeling like you're where you wanna be.
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
3 posted 2007-02-18 11:19 PM

That's not really a response to my response. That is what inspired you. It doesn't make the lack of  real people any less problematic.

But let's see if anybody else has anything to say.

ChristianSpeaks
since 2006-05-18
Posts 396
Iowa, USA
4 posted 2007-02-22 03:49 PM

Hey there-

Some good ideas here. I really like S3, but there is a lack of congruency with the strophes. The middle seems like it was added out of order. Kinda what Brad said.  I do wish that you would dispense with the alliteration. It seems cheesy. There are also some slant rhyme in S5 and maybe someother places that confuse me. Did you mean to rhyme or was it just word placement. I think that reformating would help the situation. Lastly, do you think that you could pair this one down a bit. I imagine you could say about the same thing in fewer words. Just a thought.

CS

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » City Dwelling

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary